starting init crypto disks...fail to boot

KarlHungus KarlHungus

starting init crypto disks...fail to boot

hi, this happened time after time on every laptop i tried puredyne but usually after restarting computer things get back to normal, today it get ugly.

when i start puredyne it shows starting init crypto disks... [ok] and then hangs
most frightening thou is the fact that recovery mode do the same now
what should i do?
please help
KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: starting init crypto disks...fail to boot

btw i am using 911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386 installed on HD
+recovery mode after few tries works now
what now?

Re: [puredyne] starting init crypto disks...fail to boot

Well I'm afraid we never found a fix for this. It depends on the
hardware, afaict - it affects my Eee fairly often. For what it's
worth, I haven't seen this happening in the forthcoming gazpacho
release - here's hoping...

2011/5/16 KarlHungus <[hidden email]>:

> btw i am using 911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386 installed on HD
> +recovery mode after few tries works now
> what now?

KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] starting init crypto disks...fail to boot

i "fixed" it by running puredyne from cd once in safe mode, after then things go back to normal with my puredyne hd installation. this is scary, hope this never happens before gig etc.
KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] starting init crypto disks...fail to boot

ok, starting init crypto disks nightmare is back :(
DanS, if it happens to you often, how do you deal with this?
how can you work with puredyne at all? this happens almost randomly
what can i do? i thought i can boot from cd and then fsck, but for some reason it tells me that this command are unknown...

do i have to do this from recovery mode?
in recovery mode i notice this:
[5.720136] EXT4-fs (sda5) INFO : recovery required on read only file system
so i guess i need to fsck sda5 then?
what are the exact steps to do this?
please help, all my stuff is on that hd

KarlHungus said :
> ok, starting init crypto disks nightmare is back :(

Sorry to hear that :/

> DanS, if it happens to you often, how do you deal with this?

Personally I solved it in really random nonsensical ways (as explained
on the bug comments).

> how can you work with puredyne at all? this happens almost randomly
> what can i do? i thought i can boot from cd and then fsck, but for some
> reason it tells me that this command are unknown...

Which CD? what command? When do you typr it? What's the exact error?
More details the better....

> do i have to do this from recovery mode?
> in recovery mode i notice this:
> [5.720136] EXT4-fs (sda5) INFO : recovery required on read only file system
> so i guess i need to fsck sda5 then?
> what are the exact steps to do this?
> please help, all my stuff is on that hd

the command should be fsck.ext4 and then point to the device that needs
checking. But recovery usually starts automatically after such an error.

On a more positive note I can also confirm that I haven't seen any
crypto disks errors yet on the new Puredyne (alpha4).

KarlHungus KarlHungus

Re: [puredyne] starting init crypto disks...fail to boot

thank you for reply
Which CD? what command? When do you typr it? What's the exact error?
More details the better...
.
i used 911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386 (from which i installed puredyne on hd) last time simply booting from it in failsaife mode and restarting pc "fixed" things
so i booted from this dvd and in terminal typed fsck and i got command not found message

also i wanted to try fsck from recovery mode
typed init 1, and that put me in single user mode, ok
but typing umount/home i got no such file or directory, the same for umount/dev/sda5
it is not safe to run fsck just switching into single user mode right? whats goin on here?

Personally I solved it in really random nonsensical ways (as explained
on the bug comments)

where can i found them?

KarlHungus said :
> thank you for reply
> Which CD? what command? When do you typr it? What's the exact error?
> More details the better....
> i used 911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386 (from which i installed puredyne on
> hd) last time simply booting from it in failsaife mode and restarting pc
> "fixed" things
> so i booted from this dvd and in terminal typed fsck and i got command not
> found message

assuming you're connected and when you say terminal you mean an xterm
withing an X session, then:

apt-get install e2fsprogs

will give you fsck.ext4

> also i wanted to try fsck from recovery mode
> typed init 1, and that put me in single user mode, ok
> but typing umount/home i got no such file or directory, the same for
> umount/dev/sda5
> it is not safe to run fsck just switching into single user mode right? whats
> goin on here?

well there not mounted yet, you can see what is currently mounted by
just typing 'mount'

you could also check which dev are available with 'ls /dev/sd*'

https://bugs.launchpad.net/puredyne-live/+bug/485858