[puredyne] zynaddsubfx, fm-ratio

Stefan Thomas-2 Stefan Thomas-2

[puredyne] zynaddsubfx, fm-ratio

Dear community,
maybee my question is very stupid, but I couldn't find out:
How can I change the ratio for fm-synthesis in zynaddsubfx?
Adriaan Cornelis van Kampen Adriaan Cornelis van Kampen

Re: [puredyne] zynaddsubfx, fm-ratio

hey stefan,

you have to switch the modulation type to FM (default is OFF)
then you will have a second (modulator) frequency parameter
see attached image

jk

zynfm.png (254K) Download Attachment
Adriaan Cornelis van Kampen Adriaan Cornelis van Kampen

Re: [puredyne] zynaddsubfx, fm-ratio

oops, now the answer to your question :)
the ratio is modulator/carrier freq,
so if your (carrier) frequency is 200 hz and you want a ratio of 4.33
then your modulator frequency has to be 200 * 4.33 = 866hz
also depending on the modulation index (mod amplitude) you will generate
overtones (and undertones actualy), if your ratio is not a whole number,
you will add disharmonic content (noisyness).

jk