[puredyne] which one of this netbooks will work better with Puredyne?

Roberto Mallo García Roberto Mallo García

[puredyne] which one of this netbooks will work better with Puredyne?

Hi,

I've been using Puredyne on a live-usb for some time now, unable to
install it on my PowerPC iBook. Now I'm seriously considering the
possibility of buying a netbook for doing sound and music related
work and internet, specially for SuperCollider live use. Searching
the web I have narrowed it down to two models: ASUS Eee PC 1000H and
Dell Inspiron Mini 10v, which one will work better with Puredyne?
Anyone has tried them?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Roberto

--
joseghast.org
taumaturgia.com

Josh Lawrence-2 Josh Lawrence-2

Re: [puredyne] which one of this netbooks will work better with Puredyne?

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 9:56 AM, Roberto Mallo García
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> down to two models: ASUS Eee PC 1000H and Dell Inspiron Mini 10v, which one
> will work better with Puredyne? Anyone has tried them?

avoid the intel graphics chipsets like the plague, you will have a
miserable time with them.

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com

ddw_music ddw_music

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Roberto Mallo García <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I've been using Puredyne on a live-usb for some time now, unable to install it on my PowerPC iBook. Now I'm seriously considering the possibility of buying a netbook for doing sound and music related work and internet, specially for SuperCollider live use. Searching the web I have narrowed it down to two models: ASUS Eee PC 1000H and Dell Inspiron Mini 10v, which one will work better with Puredyne? Anyone has tried them?

I can't comment on either of those two machines, but I've been using p:d with a Samsung N130 and it's been almost completely trouble-free. The wi-fi card is working perfectly with ndiswrapper, no video problems that I've noticed (but then, I'm not using any of the hard-core video apps) and supercollider/Emacs is squeaky clean.

James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk

Re: [puredyne] which one of this netbooks will work better with Puredyne?

Hi Roberta,

Just my quick 2c

I have an Asus 900 since a couple of years.
The recent Carrot and Corriander runs really well,
fast to boot, very stable. I'm more of a Puredata
than Supercollider guy though, so no advice on that.

a.

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:56:40 +0200
Roberto Mallo García <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been using Puredyne on a live-usb for some time now, unable to
> install it on my PowerPC iBook. Now I'm seriously considering the
> possibility of buying a netbook for doing sound and music related
> work and internet, specially for SuperCollider live use. Searching
> the web I have narrowed it down to two models: ASUS Eee PC 1000H and
> Dell Inspiron Mini 10v, which one will work better with Puredyne?
> Anyone has tried them?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Roberto
>
> --
> joseghast.org
> taumaturgia.com

Sent from my 3 (http://three.co.uk) mobile broadband
   Third world internet for a first world economy.
* 20 bytes/second * 99% packet loss  * 60 second latency
 All for only £20/month (Odious and predatory terms apply)

Lukasz Jastrzebski Lukasz Jastrzebski

Re: [puredyne] which one of this netbooks will work better with Puredyne?

Well, few words from me too.
You may want to consider buying older IBM/Lenovo hardware. I have two
(T30 and X31), they are running reliably for years now, I bought them
used and they are working for several hours daily without a single
hardware failure. Drivers, settings - if not tweaked optimally out of
the box - there is always ThinkWiki.org with tones of good advices.
All I miss are new GPUs with more power and faster hard drive. You can
look at one of X series - this are "ultraportables". Even when few
years old they are still much more reliable than other hardware I've
seen.
If you're restricted to only the two you've mentioned - I can't help.
I try to avoid Atom CPUs and slow hard disks as much as I can.

Cheers,
Luke

Ricardo Gabriel Herdt Ricardo Gabriel Herdt

Ricardo Gabriel Herdt Ricardo Gabriel Herdt

Re: [puredyne] which one of this netbooks will work better with Puredyne?

I actually like them, my laptop has intel graphics chipset and it never gave me problems (running debian). For graphics intensive tasks there are for sure better alternatives, but since I'm dealing almost exclusively with sound, Intel offers what I need and that with open-source drivers.

2010/4/13 Josh Lawrence <[hidden email]>

avoid the intel graphics chipsets like the plague, you will have a
miserable time with them.

Jimmy Audoin Jimmy Audoin

Re: [puredyne] which one of this netbooks will work better with Puredyne?

Hello Guys, I agree with Lukasz, used little IBM/LENOVO are a good way (in my opinion one of the best brand of laptops...).
Personnaly I use a Lenovo Ideapad S10 (the first). Not more info about puredata or Supercollider, but PD C&C live usb boot with no problem, and seems to run well (this my first tests, before I was using it with XP OS).
Obviously : Intel Atom, mini graphic chipset, audio is cheap (buzzbuzz) and slow HD. But an interesting feature is the ExpressCard !
He is slow but stable, I trust him (I can do expressions tests and light things with after-effects and PShop, in the Windows world) very portable, with a good ergonomy and beautiful design (not plastic toy).
Check out the new S12 with nvidia graphic chipset.
Hope you will find your tool.
+
Jimmy

2010/4/14 Ricardo G. <[hidden email]>
I actually like them, my laptop has intel graphics chipset and it never gave me problems (running debian). For graphics intensive tasks there are for sure better alternatives, but since I'm dealing almost exclusively with sound, Intel offers what I need and that with open-source drivers.

2010/4/13 Josh Lawrence <[hidden email]>

avoid the intel graphics chipsets like the plague, you will have a
miserable time with them.

Jimmy Audoin
Compositing, motion design, animation 2D
http://www.12-7production.com
mobile : 06 99 42 64 90

pmj pmj

Re: [puredyne] which one of this netbooks will work better with Puredyne?

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.