[puredyne] which build for intel core i3?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
ddw_music ddw_music
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[puredyne] which build for intel core i3?

Just wondering if anyone has tried pd with an Intel core i3? I was
trying to boot from CD in a store today and it froze after the initial
burst of startup messages. The same CD boots properly on my MBP and on
another machine in the store (Celeron processor).

This makes me worry:

http://www.overclock.net/linux-unix/736722-ubuntu-10-04-not-compatible-core.html

Do I need to stop looking at this processor? What other
improved-performance laptop processors are people using?

Thanks,
James


--

James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal." -- Whitman

blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
ddw_music ddw_music
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] which build for intel core i3?

On 8/6/10 4:20 PM, James Harkins wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone has tried pd with an Intel core i3? I was
> trying to boot from CD in a store today and it froze after the initial
> burst of startup messages. The same CD boots properly on my MBP and on
> another machine in the store (Celeron processor).
>
> This makes me worry:
>
> http://www.overclock.net/linux-unix/736722-ubuntu-10-04-not-compatible-core.html 
>
>
> Do I need to stop looking at this processor? What other
> improved-performance laptop processors are people using?

OK, I guess I need the Intel 64-bit distro. That's fine -- not sure if
the reported graphics issues with i3 are still problems? The post
referenced above is from June 2010, so I can't rule it out on the basis
of a few Web searches.

Thanks --
James


--

James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal." -- Whitman

blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
ddw_music ddw_music
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] which build for intel core i3?

On 8/6/10 4:26 PM, James Harkins wrote:

> On 8/6/10 4:20 PM, James Harkins wrote:
>> Just wondering if anyone has tried pd with an Intel core i3? I was
>> trying to boot from CD in a store today and it froze after the
>> initial burst of startup messages. The same CD boots properly on my
>> MBP and on another machine in the store (Celeron processor).
>>
>> This makes me worry:
>>
>> http://www.overclock.net/linux-unix/736722-ubuntu-10-04-not-compatible-core.html 
>>
>>
>> Do I need to stop looking at this processor? What other
>> improved-performance laptop processors are people using?
>
> OK, I guess I need the Intel 64-bit distro. That's fine -- not sure if
> the reported graphics issues with i3 are still problems? The post
> referenced above is from June 2010, so I can't rule it out on the
> basis of a few Web searches.

Sorry to pester -- I'm still a wee bit confused. I see these:

http://puredyne.restruct.org/carrot_and_coriander/puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-amd64.iso
http://puredyne.restruct.org/carrot_and_coriander/puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386.iso

i386 is presumably 32-bit, and amd64 is presumably not Intel-compatible.
Which should I use?

(Or maybe just have a look at kxstudio, which boasts of being designed
for 64-bit from the ground up?)

Thanks,
James


--

James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal." -- Whitman

blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Bernardo Barros Bernardo Barros
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] which build for intel core i3?

Hi James

Intel i3, i5 and i7 are amd64 also called x86_64

You can choose both OS, 32 or 64bit. No problem to compile pd in a
64bit OS. PD itself is very easy to build (pd-vanilla).

cheers!

2010/8/6 James Harkins <[hidden email]>:

> On 8/6/10 4:26 PM, James Harkins wrote:
>>
>> On 8/6/10 4:20 PM, James Harkins wrote:
>>>
>>> Just wondering if anyone has tried pd with an Intel core i3? I was trying
>>> to boot from CD in a store today and it froze after the initial burst of
>>> startup messages. The same CD boots properly on my MBP and on another
>>> machine in the store (Celeron processor).
>>>
>>> This makes me worry:
>>>
>>>
>>> http://www.overclock.net/linux-unix/736722-ubuntu-10-04-not-compatible-core.html
>>>
>>> Do I need to stop looking at this processor? What other
>>> improved-performance laptop processors are people using?
>>
>> OK, I guess I need the Intel 64-bit distro. That's fine -- not sure if the
>> reported graphics issues with i3 are still problems? The post referenced
>> above is from June 2010, so I can't rule it out on the basis of a few Web
>> searches.
>
> Sorry to pester -- I'm still a wee bit confused. I see these:
>
> http://puredyne.restruct.org/carrot_and_coriander/puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-amd64.iso
> http://puredyne.restruct.org/carrot_and_coriander/puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386.iso
>
> i386 is presumably 32-bit, and amd64 is presumably not Intel-compatible.
> Which should I use?
>
> (Or maybe just have a look at kxstudio, which boasts of being designed for
> 64-bit from the ground up?)
>
> Thanks,
> James
>
>
> --
>
> James Harkins /// dewdrop world
> [hidden email]
> http://www.dewdrop-world.net
>
> "Come said the Muse,
> Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
> Sing me the universal." -- Whitman
>
> blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
> audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
> more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks
>
>
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
ddw_music ddw_music
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] which build for intel core i3?

On 8/6/10 7:44 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> Hi James
>
> Intel i3, i5 and i7 are amd64 also called x86_64
>
> You can choose both OS, 32 or 64bit. No problem to compile pd in a
> 64bit OS. PD itself is very easy to build (pd-vanilla).
>    

Perhaps I misunderstood, but I just tried
puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-amd64.iso on several i3 and i5
machines, and all of them failed in the same way. The DVD is good -- I
also tried a couple of AMD machines, no problem there. So...

- The amd64 build is definitely not friendly with the new Intel chips.
Don't know about older chips.
- Or, maybe the build is OK but Ubuntu chokes on the integrated graphics
in the newer Intel chips (the forum posting I cited).
- I also didn't have any success with i386 on the i3/5/7 series. I
should correct myself -- this morning my download of the i386 CD failed
and I didn't have time to try again, so I used 9.10 instead which I had
downloaded months ago. Maybe 9.11 works on the new chips. (Has anyone
tried?)

I hear AMD have reduced their power consumption in laptop processors, so
maybe that's a decent choice (and I wouldn't mind sticking it to Intel
for their monopolistic practices). Otherwise... I don't find lappies
with the older core 2 duo chips in the stores to try out puredyne, makes
me nervous since I'm in the US for only about another week and a half
and I'm not going to have time to return it if I can't get PD working on
it (i.e., I would have to order a core 2 duo machine through the mail).

I'm sure when you've done it a few times, compiling your own kernel is
easy, but that sounds a little scary under my current time crunch. In a
few months I might be able to try it, but I'm afraid at the moment I
need something that I can download and install. Part of my current
project will require running Community Core Vision alongside
supercollider, probably more than my 1.83 GHz Mac can handle, and I'm
going to need to get this up and running fairly quickly.

Thanks again,
James

--

James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal." -- Whitman

blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
ddw_music ddw_music
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] which build for intel core i3?

On 8/6/10 9:57 PM, James Harkins wrote:

> On 8/6/10 7:44 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
>> Hi James
>>
>> Intel i3, i5 and i7 are amd64 also called x86_64
>>
>> You can choose both OS, 32 or 64bit. No problem to compile pd in a
>> 64bit OS. PD itself is very easy to build (pd-vanilla).
>
> Perhaps I misunderstood, but I just tried
> puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-amd64.iso on several i3 and i5
> machines, and all of them failed in the same way. The DVD is good -- I
> also tried a couple of AMD machines, no problem there. So...
>
> - The amd64 build is definitely not friendly with the new Intel chips.
> Don't know about older chips.
> - Or, maybe the build is OK but Ubuntu chokes on the integrated
> graphics in the newer Intel chips (the forum posting I cited).

Then again...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=995231&page=5&highlight=core+i3

"I know this is a bit late. But this is for anybody still worrying
whether or not ubuntu supports i7.
There is no problem there.

"I am running Ubuntu amd64 9.10 on I7 960 with the asus P6T Deluxe
motherboard and having no problems whatsoever. I am not sure about the
turbo boost though but i will look into it."

So, what's different about puredyne 9.10 that breaks on i3 etc.?

James


--

James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal." -- Whitman

blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Aymeric Mansoux Aymeric Mansoux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] which build for intel core i3?

In reply to this post by ddw_music
Hi James,

James Harkins said :

> On 8/6/10 7:44 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> >Hi James
> >
> >Intel i3, i5 and i7 are amd64 also called x86_64
> >
> >You can choose both OS, 32 or 64bit. No problem to compile pd in a
> >64bit OS. PD itself is very easy to build (pd-vanilla).
>
> Perhaps I misunderstood, but I just tried
> puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-amd64.iso on several i3 and i5
> machines, and all of them failed in the same way.

What way?
It would help to know what kind of error you got.

Otherwise, just to echo Bernardo's comment,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#History_of_Intel_64
which is why amd64 is a generic architecture name for both AMD and Intel
64 bits CPUs.

AFAIK none of the current Puredyne dev owns such a recent CPU, so it
might require a bit of effort to check if whether or not Puredyne's
kernel is fine with the machine you'd like to use.


a.
--
http://su.kuri.mu


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
ddw_music ddw_music
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] which build for intel core i3?

On 8/7/10 5:27 AM, Aymeric Mansoux wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> James Harkins said :
>    
>> On 8/6/10 7:44 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
>>      
>>> Hi James
>>>
>>> Intel i3, i5 and i7 are amd64 also called x86_64
>>>
>>> You can choose both OS, 32 or 64bit. No problem to compile pd in a
>>> 64bit OS. PD itself is very easy to build (pd-vanilla).
>>>        
>> Perhaps I misunderstood, but I just tried
>> puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-amd64.iso on several i3 and i5
>> machines, and all of them failed in the same way.
>>      
> What way?
> It would help to know what kind of error you got.
>    

As I said in the original post -- there is no error. It goes through the
initial burst of startup messages (looking for devices). Then, in the
normal startup sequence, there's a moment where the screen clears and
the font changes. At this point, on the i3 etc., the screen goes blank
and X never shows up.

I read that there were LOTS of problems in Ubuntu 9 with the integrated
graphics in the i3 series. I have a feeling this is the same, or
related. When the screen goes blank, the CD continues to operate, which
makes me think that it probably is booting up behind the blank screen,
but it never connects to the display.

It's easy to reproduce -- take a live CD into a computer store.

I'll be happy to file a bug report if you think it's appropriate. In the
meantime, I'll need to start looking at Ubuntu studio or kxstudio.

James


--

James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal." -- Whitman

blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
ddw_music ddw_music
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] which build for intel core i3?

On 8/7/10 8:01 AM, James Harkins wrote:
> I'll be happy to file a bug report if you think it's appropriate. In
> the meantime, I'll need to start looking at Ubuntu studio or kxstudio.

PS - if I end up with one of these newer machines, I would probably have
more time closer to the end of the year to do some troubleshooting. Not
for the next couple of months, though.

James


--

James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal." -- Whitman

blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Bernardo Barros Bernardo Barros
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] which build for intel core i3?

In reply to this post by Aymeric Mansoux
Hum, Puredyne is based on Ubuntu 9, right? Maybe if you try Ubuntu 10
(lucid) 64bit (or even  Fedora 13 64bit) and check what happens.

It it works that I THINK means that the kernel of Ubuntu 9 is not
fully compatible with your specific CPU arch.

2010/8/7 Aymeric Mansoux <[hidden email]>:

> Hi James,
>
> James Harkins said :
>> On 8/6/10 7:44 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
>> >Hi James
>> >
>> >Intel i3, i5 and i7 are amd64 also called x86_64
>> >
>> >You can choose both OS, 32 or 64bit. No problem to compile pd in a
>> >64bit OS. PD itself is very easy to build (pd-vanilla).
>>
>> Perhaps I misunderstood, but I just tried
>> puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-amd64.iso on several i3 and i5
>> machines, and all of them failed in the same way.
>
> What way?
> It would help to know what kind of error you got.
>
> Otherwise, just to echo Bernardo's comment,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#History_of_Intel_64
> which is why amd64 is a generic architecture name for both AMD and Intel
> 64 bits CPUs.
>
> AFAIK none of the current Puredyne dev owns such a recent CPU, so it
> might require a bit of effort to check if whether or not Puredyne's
> kernel is fine with the machine you'd like to use.
>
>
> a.
> --
> http://su.kuri.mu
>
>
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Bernardo Barros Bernardo Barros
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] which build for intel core i3?

James, I use Fedora 13 64bits with a intel i7 thinkpad. It works
perfect. It also works with kxstudio (based on kde ubuntu 10 + lots of
audio packages).

2010/8/7 Bernardo Barros <[hidden email]>:

> Hum, Puredyne is based on Ubuntu 9, right? Maybe if you try Ubuntu 10
> (lucid) 64bit (or even  Fedora 13 64bit) and check what happens.
>
> It it works that I THINK means that the kernel of Ubuntu 9 is not
> fully compatible with your specific CPU arch.
>
> 2010/8/7 Aymeric Mansoux <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi James,
>>
>> James Harkins said :
>>> On 8/6/10 7:44 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
>>> >Hi James
>>> >
>>> >Intel i3, i5 and i7 are amd64 also called x86_64
>>> >
>>> >You can choose both OS, 32 or 64bit. No problem to compile pd in a
>>> >64bit OS. PD itself is very easy to build (pd-vanilla).
>>>
>>> Perhaps I misunderstood, but I just tried
>>> puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-amd64.iso on several i3 and i5
>>> machines, and all of them failed in the same way.
>>
>> What way?
>> It would help to know what kind of error you got.
>>
>> Otherwise, just to echo Bernardo's comment,
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64#History_of_Intel_64
>> which is why amd64 is a generic architecture name for both AMD and Intel
>> 64 bits CPUs.
>>
>> AFAIK none of the current Puredyne dev owns such a recent CPU, so it
>> might require a bit of effort to check if whether or not Puredyne's
>> kernel is fine with the machine you'd like to use.
>>
>>
>> a.
>> --
>> http://su.kuri.mu
>>
>>
>> ---
>> [hidden email]
>> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
>> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>>
>

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Aymeric Mansoux Aymeric Mansoux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] which build for intel core i3?

In reply to this post by ddw_music
James Harkins said :

> On 8/7/10 5:27 AM, Aymeric Mansoux wrote:
> >Hi James,
> >
> >James Harkins said :
> >>On 8/6/10 7:44 PM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> >>>Hi James
> >>>
> >>>Intel i3, i5 and i7 are amd64 also called x86_64
> >>>
> >>>You can choose both OS, 32 or 64bit. No problem to compile pd in a
> >>>64bit OS. PD itself is very easy to build (pd-vanilla).
> >>Perhaps I misunderstood, but I just tried
> >>puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-amd64.iso on several i3 and i5
> >>machines, and all of them failed in the same way.
> >What way?
> >It would help to know what kind of error you got.
>
> As I said in the original post -- there is no error. It goes through
> the initial burst of startup messages (looking for devices). Then,
> in the normal startup sequence, there's a moment where the screen
> clears and the font changes. At this point, on the i3 etc., the
> screen goes blank and X never shows up.

Sorry, I read the thread too fast. Thanks for explaining again.
 

> I read that there were LOTS of problems in Ubuntu 9 with the
> integrated graphics in the i3 series. I have a feeling this is the
> same, or related. When the screen goes blank, the CD continues to
> operate, which makes me think that it probably is booting up behind
> the blank screen, but it never connects to the display.

You could use VGA/VESA as X driver and see if it helps but even if it
works you would not have any 2D/3D acceleration under xorg.

Maybe trying to use KMS for your graphic driver might help...
If the chipset on these i3 relies on the i915 driver you could try to
add this in your kernel boot argument line:

i915.modeset=1


> It's easy to reproduce -- take a live CD into a computer store.
>
> I'll be happy to file a bug report if you think it's appropriate. In
> the meantime, I'll need to start looking at Ubuntu studio or
> kxstudio.

As suggested, maybe try with a lucid liveCD, as we will have soon a
Puredyne lucid ready.

You could also install right away lucid, and check if the packages you
need are already ported in our PPA (some are), if you miss some, you can
let us know. For example, I'm running lucid on my laptop with the
Puredyne PPA enabled
https://launchpad.net/~puredyne-team/+archive/ppa?field.series_filter=lucid


a.
--
http://su.kuri.mu


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
ddw_music ddw_music
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] which build for intel core i3?

In reply to this post by Bernardo Barros
On 8/7/10 10:02 AM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
> James, I use Fedora 13 64bits with a intel i7 thinkpad. It works
> perfect. It also works with kxstudio (based on kde ubuntu 10 + lots of
> audio packages).
>    

Cool! Kxstudio is one of the alternatives I was considering. The fact
that "everything goes through jack2" is attractive to me.

Are you using the rt kernel? I think I would have to, if I want to use
ffado on my (old-enough to be compatible!) MOTU Ultralite.

I'll relax a bit then. For awhile it was looking like I would have to
make a painful choice between a few unappealing alternatives.
James

--

James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal." -- Whitman

blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Bernardo Barros Bernardo Barros
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] which build for intel core i3?

I got some errors with the last rt-kernel from planet ccrma, so now
I'm with the last fedora kernel. Maybe some issue with the video card,
I dont know... I need a bigger frame size with the standard kernel but
it works ok with audio too.

2010/8/7 James Harkins <[hidden email]>:

> On 8/7/10 10:02 AM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
>>
>> James, I use Fedora 13 64bits with a intel i7 thinkpad. It works
>> perfect. It also works with kxstudio (based on kde ubuntu 10 + lots of
>> audio packages).
>>
>
> Cool! Kxstudio is one of the alternatives I was considering. The fact that
> "everything goes through jack2" is attractive to me.
>
> Are you using the rt kernel? I think I would have to, if I want to use ffado
> on my (old-enough to be compatible!) MOTU Ultralite.
>
> I'll relax a bit then. For awhile it was looking like I would have to make a
> painful choice between a few unappealing alternatives.
> James
>
> --
>
> James Harkins /// dewdrop world
> [hidden email]
> http://www.dewdrop-world.net
>
> "Come said the Muse,
> Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
> Sing me the universal." -- Whitman
>
> blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
> audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
> more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks
>
>
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
alejoo alejoo
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] which build for intel core i3?

not much time to read the whole thread, but i use np an i5.. with arandale video
try using this kernel boot options and see what happens:

i915.modeset=0 xforcevesa

maybe this could be of use... if you have the above video card:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/554569



On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 3:24 AM, Bernardo Barros
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I got some errors with the last rt-kernel from planet ccrma, so now
> I'm with the last fedora kernel. Maybe some issue with the video card,
> I dont know... I need a bigger frame size with the standard kernel but
> it works ok with audio too.
>
> 2010/8/7 James Harkins <[hidden email]>:
>> On 8/7/10 10:02 AM, Bernardo Barros wrote:
>>>
>>> James, I use Fedora 13 64bits with a intel i7 thinkpad. It works
>>> perfect. It also works with kxstudio (based on kde ubuntu 10 + lots of
>>> audio packages).
>>>
>>
>> Cool! Kxstudio is one of the alternatives I was considering. The fact that
>> "everything goes through jack2" is attractive to me.
>>
>> Are you using the rt kernel? I think I would have to, if I want to use ffado
>> on my (old-enough to be compatible!) MOTU Ultralite.
>>
>> I'll relax a bit then. For awhile it was looking like I would have to make a
>> painful choice between a few unappealing alternatives.
>> James
>>
>> --
>>
>> James Harkins /// dewdrop world
>> [hidden email]
>> http://www.dewdrop-world.net
>>
>> "Come said the Muse,
>> Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
>> Sing me the universal." -- Whitman
>>
>> blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
>> audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
>> more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks
>>
>>
>> ---
>> [hidden email]
>> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
>> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>>
>
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>



--

/a

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne