[puredyne] where do I find some 'general' info about puredyne

terrabite terrabite

[puredyne] where do I find some 'general' info about puredyne

Hi,

I tested Puredyne with the liveDVD and as Jack was working AND I could dim my laptop's monitor I installed Puredyne permanently this morning. I think this was a pretty good move.
Before I was looking into AV Linux which is also very nice but since they threw out Pd AND I it was impossible to dim the brightness of my monitor (always full blast) I lost interest there rather quickly.
Now I realize that Puredyne uses a different set of commands which confuses me. For instance, to do any operation that requires root privileges one simply types "su -" plus my password and voilà. In Puredyne I still sit there and wonder how to do the same. I tried the Ubuntu docs but didn't find answers that were working.

So I'm asking here for pointing me to the useful sources of information about these fundamental things about the distribution. WIth the audio stuff I'm basically ok for the moment. For instance, I live in China and I need to have at chinese characters at least displayed correctly. Some relevant apps which are accessible in the synaptic package manager fail to install because some dependencies 'can not be installed' or similar error. So I would need to understand these things...

Best wishes
Jurgen

Re: [puredyne] where do I find some 'general' info about puredyne

Hi -

2010/6/3 jurgen <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> I tested Puredyne with the liveDVD and as Jack was working AND I could dim my laptop's monitor I installed Puredyne permanently this morning. I think this was a pretty good move.
> Before I was looking into AV Linux which is also very nice but since they threw out Pd AND I it was impossible to dim the brightness of my monitor (always full blast) I lost interest there rather quickly.
> Now I realize that Puredyne uses a different set of commands which confuses me. For instance, to do any operation that requires root privileges one simply types "su -" plus my password and voilà. In Puredyne I still sit there and wonder how to do the same. I tried the Ubuntu docs but didn't find answers that were working.

Puredyne uses the exact same commands as many many other linuxes. "su"
should work fine, many people use "sudo" (that's my habit). So I try
to imagine what your problem is. When you type "su -" in puredyne,
what happens? Surely it works fine? Or is the problem that you don't
know the password? (for the live distro... I've forgotten what the
live user's password is. Someone can remind us?)

> So I'm asking here for pointing me to the useful sources of information about these fundamental things about the distribution. WIth the audio stuff I'm basically ok for the moment. For instance, I live in China and I need to have at chinese characters at least displayed correctly. Some relevant apps which are accessible in the synaptic package manager fail to install because some dependencies 'can not be installed' or similar error. So I would need to understand these things...

Book is here:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Puredyne

If there are questions which aren't answered, then ask us and we'll
try to help, and then hopefully the answers can go back into the
wikibook.

Dan

> Best wishes
> Jurgen

Lukasz Jastrzebski Lukasz Jastrzebski

Re: [puredyne] where do I find some 'general' info about puredyne

not "su"
but instead: "sudo su" or "sudo command"

ddw_music ddw_music

On 6/3/10 11:52 PM, jurgen wrote:
> For instance, I live in China and I need to have at chinese characters at least displayed correctly. Some relevant apps which are accessible in the synaptic package manager fail to install because some dependencies 'can not be installed' or similar error. So I would need to understand these things...

That's odd -- I installed a bunch of zh-related packages and had Chinese
character display working without much trouble. I just tried to take a
quick look to see which packages they were, couldn't find them quickly
but if you like, I can take another look when I have a bit more time.

Maybe post the specific dependency errors so that others with a deeper
Linux knowledge than I could give you more precise help?

I also installed SCIM for Chinese input, but haven't configured it yet.

(By the way -- reply off list if you prefer -- where are you in China? I
just moved to Zhuhai (last week!) for the summer, then on to Guangzhou
to teach in the fall.)

James

--

James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal." -- Whitman

terrabite terrabite

Re: [puredyne] where do I find some 'general' info about puredyne

Hi,

I use the synaptic package manager because I'm simply _not_ capable of creating an installer from source. As far as chinese is concerned, today there are a few 100 apps there, yesterday when I mailed there were 5 or so... So I will look around. Thanks for your reply!
I'm in Beijing and I have the firm intention to spend the summer elsewhere, real far away :-)

Cheers
Jurgen
terrabite terrabite

Re: [puredyne] where do I find some 'general' info about puredyne

I think the 2 posts illustrate my confusion :-) Indeed the command is sudo su, but it took me a while to find out. The command I used so far (su -) renders an authentication error.
The puredyne book is quite empty - I mean, the intriguing subject line "installing a full puredyne system onto hard disk" exists but there is no article. When I installed AV Linux first the entire idea of adding a grub and taking the risk to perhaps lose my partition with windoze frightened me considerably. So the empty article here wasn't so helpful :-)

I found by now that the shell that comes with puredyne is a different flavor than I know, it is zsh. I think that's why things are a bit different. I think I can change that, I will find out later.

Also, I find the terminal's gray characters hard to read. I haven't found a way yet to change the color scheme. Also the prompt surprised me, I thought it is $ for user - here it is % with a preceding string that I looks like (˜) but I'm neither sure nor do I understand the meaning.

I will take some time out and find answers :-) Question marks that persist after 2 weeks will come up here.
Hey, bluetooth is working, so is wireless networking, my audio hardware (RME) with Jack works flawlessly, I'm quite a lucky boy.

Cheers and thanks for your help'
Jurgen
Ricardo Gabriel Herdt Ricardo Gabriel Herdt

Re: [puredyne] where do I find some 'general' info about puredyne

The default terminal I think is rxvt. You can change it's settings
editing the file .Xdefaults (there are many examples on the internet).
Or install an easier to use terminal, like xfce4-terminal. Also,
regarding the 'cannot be installed' error, did you update the
repositories before trying to install any apps?

terrabite terrabite

Re: [puredyne] where do I find some 'general' info about puredyne

Hi,

no I didn't update the repo (how do I do that?) but I switched to a different location which I assume did the same thing. It looks different since this morning...

Thanks for your help, I continue to browse how to set up a different shell. Apparently it doesn't make any difference which one uses.

Jurgen

2010/6/3, terrabite <<a href="x-msg://6/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=869282&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow">[hidden email]>:

> I think the 2 posts illustrate my confusion :-) Indeed the command is sudo
> su, but it took me a while to find out. The command I used so far (su -)
> renders an authentication error.
> The puredyne book is quite empty - I mean, the intriguing subject line
> "installing a full puredyne system onto hard disk" exists but there is no
> article. When I installed AV Linux first the entire idea of adding a grub
> and taking the risk to perhaps lose my partition with windoze frightened me
> considerably. So the empty article here wasn't so helpful :-)
>
> I found by now that the shell that comes with puredyne is a different flavor
> than I know, it is zsh. I think that's why things are a bit different. I
> think I can change that, I will find out later.
>
> Also, I find the terminal's gray characters hard to read. I haven't found a
> way yet to change the color scheme. Also the prompt surprised me, I thought
> it is $ for user - here it is % with a preceding string that I looks like
> (˜) but I'm neither sure nor do I understand the meaning.
>
> I will take some time out and find answers :-) Question marks that persist
> after 2 weeks will come up here.
> Hey, bluetooth is working, so is wireless networking, my audio hardware
> (RME) with Jack works flawlessly, I'm quite a lucky boy.
>
> Cheers and thanks for your help'
> Jurgen

> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
---
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne

View message @ http://puredyne.466513.n3.nabble.com/puredyne-where-do-I-find-some-general-info-about-puredyne-tp867959p869282.html
To unsubscribe from Re: [puredyne] where do I find some 'general' info about puredyne, click here.

Ricardo Gabriel Herdt Ricardo Gabriel Herdt

Re: [puredyne] where do I find some 'general' info about puredyne

In synaptic you have the button that updates the repo (don't know how
it get's called on english, maybe 'reload'), that mean's, it sync's
the list in the official repos with your local list. So, if you have
an outdated list, it won't let you install software that already has a
newer version on the servers. Either call 'reload' before installing
something or, from the command-line, 'sudo apt-get update'.

> [...]

>> > I will take some time out and find answers :-) Question marks that
>> > persist
>> > after 2 weeks will come up here.
>> > Hey, bluetooth is working, so is wireless networking, my audio hardware
>> > (RME) with Jack works flawlessly, I'm quite a lucky boy.
>> >
>> > Cheers and thanks for your help'
>> > Jurgen
>> > --
>> >
>> > ---
>> > [hidden email]
>> > http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
>> > irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

>> View message @
>> http://puredyne.466513.n3.nabble.com/puredyne-where-do-I-find-some-general-info-about-puredyne-tp867959p869282.html
>>
>> To unsubscribe from Re: [puredyne] where do I find some 'general' info
>> about puredyne, click here.

Re: [puredyne] where do I find some 'general' info about puredyne

Hi James,

James Harkins said :

> On 6/3/10 11:52 PM, jurgen wrote:
> >For instance, I live in China and I need to have at chinese
> >characters at least displayed correctly. Some relevant apps which are
> >accessible in the synaptic package manager fail to install because
> >some dependencies 'can not be installed' or similar error. So I would
> >need to understand these things...
>
> That's odd -- I installed a bunch of zh-related packages and had
> Chinese character display working without much trouble. I just tried
> to take a quick look to see which packages they were, couldn't find
> them quickly but if you like, I can take another look when I have a
> bit more time.

Would you mind writing down which packages are needed for a decent
Puredyne Chinese support in a bug report and link it to this blueprint?
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/puredyne-live/+spec/multilanguage-support

We would like to have this by default in the next Puredyne version (with
other languages).

Thanks!