[puredyne] webcam and misc question

ddw_music ddw_music

[puredyne] webcam and misc question

1 - webcam - my netbook has a SCB-0340N webcam built in. Did some
searches online (both puredyne-specific and for ubuntu generally) but
didn't see anything showing how to configure. Just wondering if anyone
has done this before, or has advice on where I might look for a driver.
Currently on puredyne 9.10 (haven't upgraded the packages yet).

2 - misc - after installing (ubiquity), within 1-5 minutes after
rebooting or waking from sleep ("suspend"), linux thrashes the hard disk
for about 30 sec. This happens in different applications, no consistent
action - could be clicking on a link in firefox, deleting an email in
t-bird etc. Has anyone seen this, or have an idea how to fix it? My
partner says he saw reports of even worse thrashing in some ubuntu
releases, so maybe it isn't p:d specific but still an annoyance.

Thanks!
James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

Re: [puredyne] webcam and misc question

James Harkins said :
> 1 - webcam - my netbook has a SCB-0340N webcam built in. Did some
> searches online (both puredyne-specific and for ubuntu generally)
> but didn't see anything showing how to configure. Just wondering if
> anyone has done this before, or has advice on where I might look for
> a driver. Currently on puredyne 9.10 (haven't upgraded the packages
> yet).

Maybe you have more chance googling for your notebook model and "Linux"
for some user report on what is working or not.

> 2 - misc - after installing (ubiquity), within 1-5 minutes after
> rebooting or waking from sleep ("suspend"), linux thrashes the hard
> disk for about 30 sec. This happens in different applications, no
> consistent action - could be clicking on a link in firefox, deleting
> an email in t-bird etc. Has anyone seen this, or have an idea how to
> fix it? My partner says he saw reports of even worse thrashing in
> some ubuntu releases, so maybe it isn't p:d specific but still an
> annoyance.

when it does it, check with top or htop, which processes are taking most
of the resources (specially memory and swap).

Suspend might make your system unstable on some machines, but a hard
reboot should not, unless the system is already screwed,

ddw_music ddw_music

James Harkins wrote:
> 1 - webcam - my netbook has a SCB-0340N webcam built in. Did some
> searches online (both puredyne-specific and for ubuntu generally) but
> didn't see anything showing how to configure. Just wondering if anyone
> has done this before, or has advice on where I might look for a
> driver. Currently on puredyne 9.10 (haven't upgraded the packages yet).

To my surprise, the webcam works out-of-the-box in skype's linux beta!

> 2 - misc - after installing (ubiquity), within 1-5 minutes after
> rebooting or waking from sleep ("suspend"), linux thrashes the hard
> disk for about 30 sec. This happens in different applications, no
> consistent action - could be clicking on a link in firefox, deleting
> an email in t-bird etc. Has anyone seen this, or have an idea how to
> fix it? My partner says he saw reports of even worse thrashing in some
> ubuntu releases, so maybe it isn't p:d specific but still an annoyance.

I remember a suggestion onlist to check 'top' - nothing is overusing cpu
at that point (and top isn't hanging either). Also someone said it could
be a stability issue with suspending the session. That's not it - I've
seen it after a cold boot.

I'm starting to suspect the wifi driver + ndiswrapper. I haven't tested
with wifi totally disabled yet, but it seems like the best next step.

hjh