[puredyne] virtual console mirror to external display

[puredyne] virtual console mirror to external display

Hi -

I'm not sure that this is possible: anyone know how to get the virtual
console to be displayed on the external display as well as on the
internal one? In other words: I want to NOT use X, but to get the
virtual console (accessed e.g. by Ctrl+Alt+F1) to appear on my
laptop's screen (as it normally does) and also projected via the VGA
output (which it doesn't).

TIA

Re: [puredyne] virtual console mirror to external display

I can't give your any answers, I've just been pondering how to make it work.  I feel like I had this issue once, and I was able to do either one or the other with some software that controlled that laptops videocard.  its a vague memory though.

i wonder if you could pipe the output from /dev/tty1 or whatever to the device for your VGA output and keep it running in the background or something.

i just did sudo cat /dev/vcs1 and got what was printed on my virtual console 1.  it was not in color though.

Not sure if that helps at all.

grant

On Sun, Aug 22, 2010 at 4:58 AM, Dan S <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi -

I'm not sure that this is possible: anyone know how to get the virtual
console to be displayed on the external display as well as on the
internal one? In other words: I want to NOT use X, but to get the
virtual console (accessed e.g. by Ctrl+Alt+F1) to appear on my
laptop's screen (as it normally does) and also projected via the VGA
output (which it doesn't).

TIA

Re: [puredyne] virtual console mirror to external display

in fact i just found this, which is interesting:

20. Screen dumps

setterm -dump N will dump the contents of the screen of /dev/ttyN to a file screen.dump in the current directory. See setterm(1).

The current contents of the screen of /dev/ttyN can be accessed using the device /dev/vcsN (where `vcs' stands for `virtual console screen'). For example, you could have a clock program that displays the current time in the upper right hand corner of the console screen (see the program vcstime in kbd-1.04.tar.gz). Just dumping the contents goes with cat /dev/vcsN. These device files /dev/vcsN do not contain newlines, and do not contain attributes, like colors. From a program it is usually better to use /dev/vcsaN (`virtual console screen with attributes') instead - it starts with a header giving the number of rows and columns and the location of the cursor. See vcs(4).

from: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO-20.html