[puredyne] version of puredyne

Stefan Thomas-2 Stefan Thomas-2

[puredyne] version of puredyne

Dear community,
I want to ask You, if the actual version of puredyne is based on Ubuntu lucid lynx or not.
Or are there plans to do this for the future?

Re: [puredyne] version of puredyne

The latest is based on karmic; yes, we're planning on a lucid version,
we're (gradually) updating all the packages for lucid (and
maverick...) as we go

Best
Dan

2010/7/11 Stefan Thomas <[hidden email]>:

> Dear community,
> I want to ask You, if the actual version of puredyne is based on Ubuntu
> lucid lynx or not.
> Or are there plans to do this for the future?

creativeopensource creativeopensource

Re: [puredyne] version of puredyne

I just upgraded to Lucid and have Screen-flickering Problems on my dell inspiron 6000, whereas using my PD USB is fine. If you could get around that, it would be nice and I'd consider a PD replacement for my HDD.

Lucid will go down as my least favourite Linux upgrades for that and other reasons. Another is that the minimize-maximize-close window-buttons are on the left as default.

Rich

> Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2010 16:13:51 +0100
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [puredyne] version of puredyne
>
> The latest is based on karmic; yes, we're planning on a lucid version,
> we're (gradually) updating all the packages for lucid (and
> maverick...) as we go
>
> Best
> Dan
>

> 2010/7/11 Stefan Thomas <[hidden email]>:
> > Dear community,
> > I want to ask You, if the actual version of puredyne is based on Ubuntu
> > lucid lynx or not.
> > Or are there plans to do this for the future?
> >
> > ---
> > [hidden email]
> > http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> > irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
> >

> --
> http://www.mcld.co.uk

Timmi Timmi

Re: [puredyne] version of puredyne

This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Timmi Timmi

Re: [puredyne] version of puredyne

DanS wrote
The latest is based on karmic; yes, we're planning on a lucid version,
we're (gradually) updating all the packages for lucid (and
maverick...) as we go
Since 10.04 is a LTS release, it causes me concern that you said you'll make the upgrades to Lucid and Maverick.

Will there be pure ubuntu 10-04 (/lubuntu) based system, and not a mix?  So that we could benefit from a stable release with long term support?

I don't want to be a guinea pig for ridiculous "improvements" that I don't need or want.  I've tried all versions since the last LTS (but under Linux Mint that is), and I couldn't wait for the next LTS to finally come out so I can stop reinstalling and just settle in with a system that is tweaked and works well and doesn't have to be changed anymore for a while.  I'm running Mint now, btw, and the LTS is just fiiiine.  (however, the extras in puredyne sure sound nice!)
Claude Heiland-Allen Claude Heiland-Allen

On 15/09/10 22:05, Timmi wrote:

> DanS wrote:
>> The latest is based on karmic; yes, we're planning on a lucid version,
>> we're (gradually) updating all the packages for lucid (and
>> maverick...) as we go
>
> Since 10.04 is a LTS release, it causes me concern that you said you'll make
> the upgrades to Lucid and Maverick.
>
> Will there be pure ubuntu 10-04 (/lubuntu) based system, and not a mix?  So
> that we could benefit from a stable release with long term support?

It won't be a mixed system, as that is likely to cause more trouble than
its worth.

The next live distribution (liveCD/liveDVD/liveUSB) will be based on
Maverick, but we'll also make all the packages available in the PPA for
Lucid - so you can install Lucid whichever way you want (for example, I
personally start from the 'mini.iso' installer giving a very minimal
system) and add any other Ubuntu or Puredyne packages that you need on top.

> I don't want to be a guinea pig for ridiculous "improvements" that I don't
> need or want.  I've tried all versions since the last LTS (but under Linux
> Mint that is), and I couldn't wait for the next LTS to finally come out so I
> can stop reinstalling and just settle in with a system that is tweaked and
> works well and doesn't have to be changed anymore for a while.  I'm running
> Mint now, btw, and the LTS is just fiiiine.  (however, the extras in
> puredyne sure sound nice!)

Yes, it makes sense to use an LTS/stable version for an installed
system, however for a live system (the main focus of Puredyne) it makes
more sense to use the latest version as a base.

Thanks,

Claude

jm jones jm jones

2010/9/16 Claude Heiland-Allen <[hidden email]>:

> On 15/09/10 22:05, Timmi wrote:
>>

>> DanS wrote:
>>>
>>> The latest is based on karmic; yes, we're planning on a lucid version,
>>> we're (gradually) updating all the packages for lucid (and
>>> maverick...) as we go
>>
>> Since 10.04 is a LTS release, it causes me concern that you said you'll
>> make
>> the upgrades to Lucid and Maverick.
>>
>> Will there be pure ubuntu 10-04 (/lubuntu) based system, and not a mix?
>>  So
>> that we could benefit from a stable release with long term support?
>
> It won't be a mixed system, as that is likely to cause more trouble than its
> worth.
>
> The next live distribution (liveCD/liveDVD/liveUSB) will be based on
> Maverick, but we'll also make all the packages available in the PPA for
> Lucid - so you can install Lucid whichever way you want (for example, I
> personally start from the 'mini.iso' installer giving a very minimal system)
> and add any other Ubuntu or Puredyne packages that you need on top.
>
>> I don't want to be a guinea pig for ridiculous "improvements" that I don't
>> need or want.  I've tried all versions since the last LTS (but under Linux
>> Mint that is), and I couldn't wait for the next LTS to finally come out so
>> can stop reinstalling and just settle in with a system that is tweaked and
>> works well and doesn't have to be changed anymore for a while.  I'm
>> running
>> Mint now, btw, and the LTS is just fiiiine.  (however, the extras in
>> puredyne sure sound nice!)
>
> Yes, it makes sense to use an LTS/stable version for an installed system,
> however for a live system (the main focus of Puredyne) it makes more sense
> to use the latest version as a base.
>
> Thanks,
>

> Claude

Theres so much difference between 10.04 and 10.10?
I will stay with Lucid...

--
JM Jones

Timmi Timmi

Re: [puredyne] version of puredyne

Claude Heiland-Allen wrote
It won't be a mixed system, as that is likely to cause more trouble than its worth.
Yes, it makes sense to use an LTS/stable version for an installed
system, however for a live system (the main focus of Puredyne) it makes
more sense to use the latest version as a base.
Are you going to maintain a version based on 10.04 and considering it as an installable, given it's LTS,
while you send off every few months the ones that you consider Live?

With other distros anyways, the Live system was always to try before you install to HDD.
This is the first time I see a mission statement that it is not to be suitable or stable enough to be considered for permanent install.