[puredyne] using JACK

hello all,

i've been considering using pure:dyne to teach a class on making digital media, and in the process of doing research (and teaching myself how to use this stuff) i am coming across some basic things that aren't totally obvious to an inexperienced user (such as myself).

so many apps use JACK and new users won't even know what it is, or how to connect things in it, much less anything about the patchbay and how that might be used.  i'm still learning myself, today is the first time i've even touched the patchbay.  i accomplished a simple task... connecting moc (which might be a nice inclusion to pure:dyne unless that has already happened) to jack rack and it to the system out.  something which i've done manually over and over again, simply because i was unsure about how to use the patchbay feature.

i thought this might be helpful information to a new user, and i'm definitely considering contributions to the wikibook documentation myself, but i'm not sure how thoroughly i even understand this stuff.  i did find this nice article that could perhaps be a useful link from the documentation?  i don't follow all of it entirely, but it was very useful.

http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/76

-grant

Re: [puredyne] using JACK

Hi Grant

grant centauri said :

> hello all,
>
> i've been considering using pure:dyne to teach a class on making digital
> media, and in the process of doing research (and teaching myself how to use
> this stuff) i am coming across some basic things that aren't totally obvious
> to an inexperienced user (such as myself).
>
> so many apps use JACK and new users won't even know what it is, or how to
> connect things in it, much less anything about the patchbay and how that
> might be used.  i'm still learning myself, today is the first time i've even
> touched the patchbay.  i accomplished a simple task... connecting moc (which
> might be a nice inclusion to pure:dyne unless that has already happened) to
> jack rack and it to the system out.  something which i've done manually over
> and over again, simply because i was unsure about how to use the patchbay
> feature.
>
> i thought this might be helpful information to a new user, and i'm
> definitely considering contributions to the wikibook documentation myself,
> but i'm not sure how thoroughly i even understand this stuff.  i did find
> this nice article that could perhaps be a useful link from the
> documentation?  i don't follow all of it entirely, but it was very useful.
>
> http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/76

You should not hesitate to add more content to the wiki, it's a wiki, so
it can be always corrected and enhanced if necessary.

Besides, we're all learning and I am sure that what you found could be
helpful to others who do not really know where to start.

Regarding JACK, there are indeed some stuff that could be added, handy
things like making simple script to auto-connect output from some app to
others, using jack_connect.