[puredyne] upgrading to 9.11

ddw_music ddw_music

[puredyne] upgrading to 9.11

There were some emails about upgrading, but I don't recall an agreement
about what steps one should take to upgrade an existing 9.10 install to
9.11 -- a ubiquity install, not liveCD/HD/USB.

I've done some customization in the environment and I would really
rather not start over from a clean USB install.

I recall that one could update the puredyne packages and that would get
you almost all the way there (missing just some kernel updates,
replacing xterm etc.). Has anyone come up with a set of steps to bring
an existing installation up to 9.11 without blowing away the old one?

Maybe "install puredyne" already handles that... if so, pardon my
ignorance in asking the question but -- for understandable reasons, I'd
like to know what that option would do prior to running it :)

James

--

James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal." -- Whitman

Re: [puredyne] upgrading to 9.11

James Harkins said :

> There were some emails about upgrading, but I don't recall an
> agreement about what steps one should take to upgrade an existing
> 9.10 install to 9.11 -- a ubiquity install, not liveCD/HD/USB.
>
> I've done some customization in the environment and I would really
> rather not start over from a clean USB install.
>
> I recall that one could update the puredyne packages and that would
> get you almost all the way there (missing just some kernel updates,
> replacing xterm etc.). Has anyone come up with a set of steps to
> bring an existing installation up to 9.11 without blowing away the
> old one?

sudo aptitude -R
press u
press U
press g
(read to make sure it's not screwing up anything)
press g again

That will bring all the packages up to date.

Regarding the settings, we have not written an update utility, should be
easy but no time for it yet unfortunately.. If anyone wants to help :)

This utility should just compare and check things we put here:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~puredyne-team/broth/devel/files/head:/stock/chroot_local-includes/
and ask the user if she/he wants to have the new settings applied.

So meanwhile, you can do it manually ...
AFAIK, there have been no crucial changes except for a small security
issue that was mentionned in the releases announcement, and indeed some
changes for the default terminal.

> Maybe "install puredyne" already handles that... if so, pardon my
> ignorance in asking the question but -- for understandable reasons,
> I'd like to know what that option would do prior to running it :)

"install puredyne" will perform a full installation (non-live) of the
running live Puredyne, not sure how personal stuff is handled ... maybe
there are some migration tools that we could use via ubiquity?