Quantcast

[puredyne] updated jack (jack2/jackdmp) available for testing in puredyne

[puredyne] updated jack (jack2/jackdmp) available for testing in puredyne

Hi -

The JACK project provides the professional low-latency audio
infrastructure for all our loveliest audio apps. The "stable" version
of JACK is now actually quite old and a re-implemented version (called
jack2 or jackdmp) has been available for a while. It has advantages
like multicore support and might (?) fix some people's firewire issues
maybe...

I have copied a recent version (from debian-experimental) into my
personal PPA so if you want to try it see
<https://launchpad.net/~danstowell/+archive/ppa>. That webpage tells
you how to add my PPA to your sources. Then you can run a command like

  sudo apt-get update
  sudo apt-get install libjack0 jackd

(This will also install libcelt0-0, it's a dependency)

I just did this on a puredyne 9.11 and it seemed to work fine, jackd
was upgraded, and supercollider happily runs on top of it. If others
would like to try it please do, and let us know if the results are
good or bad.

WARNING ---- when installing, jackd asks a question (it asks whether
or not to enable realtime process priority) - if you're using synaptic
you might not see the question until you expand the "Details" thingy.
It doesn't really matter whether you answer yes or no to the question,
because puredyne already has the feature enabled - so I'd suggest you
answer NO.

Best

Karsten Gebbert Karsten Gebbert

Re: [puredyne] updated jack (jack2/jackdmp) available for testing in puredyne

Dan S said :

> Hi -
>
> The JACK project provides the professional low-latency audio
> infrastructure for all our loveliest audio apps. The "stable" version
> of JACK is now actually quite old and a re-implemented version (called
> jack2 or jackdmp) has been available for a while. It has advantages
> like multicore support and might (?) fix some people's firewire issues
> maybe...
>
> I have copied a recent version (from debian-experimental) into my
> personal PPA so if you want to try it see
> <https://launchpad.net/~danstowell/+archive/ppa>. That webpage tells
> you how to add my PPA to your sources. Then you can run a command like
>
>   sudo apt-get update
>   sudo apt-get install libjack0 jackd
>
> (This will also install libcelt0-0, it's a dependency)
>
> I just did this on a puredyne 9.11 and it seemed to work fine, jackd
> was upgraded, and supercollider happily runs on top of it. If others
> would like to try it please do, and let us know if the results are
> good or bad.
>
> WARNING ---- when installing, jackd asks a question (it asks whether
> or not to enable realtime process priority) - if you're using synaptic
> you might not see the question until you expand the "Details" thingy.
> It doesn't really matter whether you answer yes or no to the question,
> because puredyne already has the feature enabled - so I'd suggest you
> answer NO.
Just a quick note:
I tryed this during the sprint too, and yes, it works, but the reason why is not
in Puredyne  yet is  that not  all packages that  use jack  will work  with this
version as they  expect certain version of libjack0 to be  present, the one they
have linked to  at build-time. They fail with  something like libjack0blabla not
found, aborting. So this means in practice that we have to identify all packages
that use jack,  copy them to our ppa  and rebuild them, which are  still quite a
lot of applications,  or which is probably better, go through  all jack apps and
identify those that don't work and rebuilt them against this version of jack. So
those who try it, what out for broken applications and maybe create a bug-report
so we can keep track of what needs to be done.

cheers,

krsten

http://krgn.goto10.org --
tel :: +49 (0) 30.6233.475
mob :: +49 (0) 178.8540.102
pgp :: http://krgn.goto10.org/pubkey.asc

gusano gusano

Re: [puredyne] updated jack (jack2/jackdmp) available for testing in puredyne

hi Dan

thanks for this
works great with alsa driver, but not with freebob (at least here).
I also installed jackd-firewire and when using freebob/FW device, I get
a lot of xruns (more than with previous version).

is there any way of reverting to previous jackd easily ?

cheers,
_y