[puredyne] updated Mixxx (via ppa?)

crazybilly crazybilly

[puredyne] updated Mixxx (via ppa?)

The version of Mixxx that ships with PureDyne 9.10 was pretty buggy and had a tendency to crash on me. Does anybody know of a ppa that tracks recent Mixxx development and still has Karmic packages in it?

I tried the Mixxx Release ppa this evening--they only have releases for the 10.x versions. Trying to install the 10.04 .deb just threw me into dependency hell.

Anybody have any guesses about a good pain-free way to upgrade? Perhaps somebody's built a .deb for PD? Thanks!

Jake

Re: [puredyne] updated Mixxx (via ppa?)

well i have to say that I was surprise to hear that mixxx was unstable for you.

I am running 9.11 and for the new year I mixed for 3.5 hours non stop
with flac, wav and mp3 and it was nice mix and
really tight cross fade, using an external audio card without any
delay nor crashes. And all that on a eeepc 701!!
(you can read about it on ponnuki.net (self promotion here ;) )

The only thing that lag a little is the graphic creation of the song -
apart from that everything has been quite solid.
Of course I would like to have the latest mixxx too whitout having to
wait for the next version of puredyne ~ but
I guess that is coming fairly soon too !!!

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:17 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Funny you mention it, I was just working on this issue for a friend
> yesterday.  I don't think the ppa for 10.x stuff is going to work, i don't
> know if there is a pain free way.  Compiling from source and making sure
> there is Jack support seems a bit difficult, it says you first need to
> compile PortAudiov19 with Jack support.  Its worth a shot, but it might be
> better to just wait for puredyne 10.  My friend just reinstalled from the
> puredyne 9.11 CD iso and Mixxx seemed to be working better for him.  Not
> sure you want to do that or not.  It looked like it was the same version of
> Mixxx.
>
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Jake Tolbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The version of Mixxx that ships with PureDyne 9.10 was pretty buggy and
>> had a tendency to crash on me. Does anybody know of a ppa that tracks recent
>> Mixxx development and still has Karmic packages in it?
>> I tried the Mixxx Release ppa this evening--they only have releases for
>> the 10.x versions. Trying to install the 10.04 .deb just threw me into
>> dependency hell.
>> Anybody have any guesses about a good pain-free way to upgrade? Perhaps
>> somebody's built a .deb for PD? Thanks!
>> Jake

Re: [puredyne] updated Mixxx (via ppa?)

hmm... Well apparently my friend mixxxed for much longer this time without a crash, running 9.11.  i'm wondering if an external soundcard would help... he's also running stuff through jack rack and trying to record with time machine, i don't know if that has anything to do with it.

anyone else have experience with mixxx?  any quick fixes?  one thing i read was to turn wireless off and that might help a little.

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM, geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
well i have to say that I was surprise to hear that mixxx was unstable for you.

I am running 9.11 and for the new year I mixed for 3.5 hours non stop
with flac, wav and mp3 and it was nice mix and
really tight cross fade, using an external audio card without any
delay nor crashes. And all that on a eeepc 701!!
(you can read about it on ponnuki.net (self promotion here ;) )

The only thing that lag a little is the graphic creation of the song -
apart from that everything has been quite solid.
Of course I would like to have the latest mixxx too whitout having to
wait for the next version of puredyne ~ but
I guess that is coming fairly soon too !!!

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:17 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Funny you mention it, I was just working on this issue for a friend
> yesterday.  I don't think the ppa for 10.x stuff is going to work, i don't
> know if there is a pain free way.  Compiling from source and making sure
> there is Jack support seems a bit difficult, it says you first need to
> compile PortAudiov19 with Jack support.  Its worth a shot, but it might be
> better to just wait for puredyne 10.  My friend just reinstalled from the
> puredyne 9.11 CD iso and Mixxx seemed to be working better for him.  Not
> sure you want to do that or not.  It looked like it was the same version of
> Mixxx.
>
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Jake Tolbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The version of Mixxx that ships with PureDyne 9.10 was pretty buggy and
>> had a tendency to crash on me. Does anybody know of a ppa that tracks recent
>> Mixxx development and still has Karmic packages in it?
>> I tried the Mixxx Release ppa this evening--they only have releases for
>> the 10.x versions. Trying to install the 10.04 .deb just threw me into
>> dependency hell.
>> Anybody have any guesses about a good pain-free way to upgrade? Perhaps
>> somebody's built a .deb for PD? Thanks!
>> Jake

Re: [puredyne] updated Mixxx (via ppa?)

he got 35 minutes though... nowhere near 3.5 hours

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 9:59 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
hmm... Well apparently my friend mixxxed for much longer this time without a crash, running 9.11.  i'm wondering if an external soundcard would help... he's also running stuff through jack rack and trying to record with time machine, i don't know if that has anything to do with it.

anyone else have experience with mixxx?  any quick fixes?  one thing i read was to turn wireless off and that might help a little.

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 6:21 PM, geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
well i have to say that I was surprise to hear that mixxx was unstable for you.

I am running 9.11 and for the new year I mixed for 3.5 hours non stop
with flac, wav and mp3 and it was nice mix and
really tight cross fade, using an external audio card without any
delay nor crashes. And all that on a eeepc 701!!
(you can read about it on ponnuki.net (self promotion here ;) )

The only thing that lag a little is the graphic creation of the song -
apart from that everything has been quite solid.
Of course I would like to have the latest mixxx too whitout having to
wait for the next version of puredyne ~ but
I guess that is coming fairly soon too !!!

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 12:17 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Funny you mention it, I was just working on this issue for a friend
> yesterday.  I don't think the ppa for 10.x stuff is going to work, i don't
> know if there is a pain free way.  Compiling from source and making sure
> there is Jack support seems a bit difficult, it says you first need to
> compile PortAudiov19 with Jack support.  Its worth a shot, but it might be
> better to just wait for puredyne 10.  My friend just reinstalled from the
> puredyne 9.11 CD iso and Mixxx seemed to be working better for him.  Not
> sure you want to do that or not.  It looked like it was the same version of
> Mixxx.
>
> On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Jake Tolbert <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The version of Mixxx that ships with PureDyne 9.10 was pretty buggy and
>> had a tendency to crash on me. Does anybody know of a ppa that tracks recent
>> Mixxx development and still has Karmic packages in it?
>> I tried the Mixxx Release ppa this evening--they only have releases for
>> the 10.x versions. Trying to install the 10.04 .deb just threw me into
>> dependency hell.
>> Anybody have any guesses about a good pain-free way to upgrade? Perhaps
>> somebody's built a .deb for PD? Thanks!
>> Jake

Re: [puredyne] updated Mixxx (via ppa?)

quick top-reply.

Check the dependencies of the newer mixxx deb in their PPA, see if there
are not too many.

Then, I suppose that you could try to backport the new mixxx in a karmic
PPA, not copying it but rebuilding it and check the building log and
backporting the missing libs the same way. It could be quick if there
are not too many complex deps.