[puredyne] the rt-kernel

ailo ailo

[puredyne] the rt-kernel

  It seems that the maintainer of Ubuntu's rt-kernel is about to quit.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-studio-users/2010-September/006588.html

Is the puredyne rt-kernel from Ubuntu's repo, or Puredyne's?
I know that there was a puredyne rt-kernel before the stable release of C&C.

Perhaps in this case there is cause for collaboration between purdyne
and Studioubuntu?
At least when it comes to working on the rt-kernel.

I've never compiled a rt-kernel myself, but it seems to me that one of
the main problems is getting graphic drivers to work. Perhaps the guys
in Ubuntustudio has some experience that could be of help to the
ubuntu-based community?

Just making sure info gets passed along.

// ailo

ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] the rt-kernel

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 5:14 AM, ailo <ailo.at@gmail.com> wrote:
 It seems that the maintainer of Ubuntu's rt-kernel is about to quit.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-studio-users/2010-September/006588.html

Is the puredyne rt-kernel from Ubuntu's repo, or Puredyne's?
I know that there was a puredyne rt-kernel before the stable release of C&C.

Perhaps in this case there is cause for collaboration between purdyne and Studioubuntu?
At least when it comes to working on the rt-kernel.

Oh, this REALLY sucks. I read that the new FireWire stack in Ubuntu 10.04 breaks ffado, and the solution (for now) is to use the real-time kernel.

In case the rt kernel ever goes away -- does anybody know if the ffado people are working on compatibility with 10.04 generic or low latency kernels?

James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

gusano gusano

Re: [puredyne] the rt-kernel

On 29/09/10 02:50, James Harkins wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 5:14 AM, ailo <ailo.at
> <http://ailo.at>@gmail.com <http://gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>       It seems that the maintainer of Ubuntu's rt-kernel is about to quit.
>     https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-studio-users/2010-September/006588.html
>
>     Is the puredyne rt-kernel from Ubuntu's repo, or Puredyne's?
>     I know that there was a puredyne rt-kernel before the stable release
>     of C&C.
>
>     Perhaps in this case there is cause for collaboration between
>     purdyne and Studioubuntu?
>     At least when it comes to working on the rt-kernel.
>

> Oh, this REALLY sucks. I read that the new FireWire stack in Ubuntu
> 10.04 breaks ffado, and the solution (for now) is to use the real-time
> kernel.
>
> In case the rt kernel ever goes away -- does anybody know if the ffado
> people are working on compatibility with 10.04 generic or low latency
> kernels?

I use ubuntu studio 10.04 (2.6.32-22-generic) and the new FW stack works
like a charm with ffado.
this is not the case with p:d and the old FW stack where I cannot use my
FW soundcard at all..:
http://www.mail-archive.com/puredyne@.../msg01658.html

and I thought that RT kernel were going to be dropped eventually ??

_y

Timmi Timmi

Re: [puredyne] the rt-kernel

You can access it forum-style at http://puredyne.org/support.html

HTH
Dan

2010/9/29 CAD Outsourcing <[hidden email]>:

> Is it possible to log into the forum and see these threads and not receive
> all these emails?
>
> On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 17:14, ailo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>  It seems that the maintainer of Ubuntu's rt-kernel is about to quit.
>>
>> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-studio-users/2010-September/006588.html
>>
>> Is the puredyne rt-kernel from Ubuntu's repo, or Puredyne's?
>> I know that there was a puredyne rt-kernel before the stable release of
>> C&C.
>>
>> Perhaps in this case there is cause for collaboration between purdyne and
>> Studioubuntu?
>> At least when it comes to working on the rt-kernel.
>>
>> I've never compiled a rt-kernel myself, but it seems to me that one of the
>> main problems is getting graphic drivers to work. Perhaps the guys in
>> Ubuntustudio has some experience that could be of help to the ubuntu-based
>> community?
>>
>> Just making sure info gets passed along.
>>
>> // ailo

crazybilly crazybilly

Re: [puredyne] the rt-kernel

You can also get the emails in daily digest form so you only get one or two emails, rather than 5-10. You can configure that on the mailing list page.
Claude Heiland-Allen Claude Heiland-Allen

Re: [puredyne] the rt-kernel

On 30/09/10 15:11, crazybilly wrote:

> You can also get the emails in daily digest form so you only get one or two
> emails, rather than 5-10. You can configure that on the mailing list page.

Which is here:

(You can also find this link in the mail headers)

Claude

Re: [puredyne] the rt-kernel

ailo said :
>  It seems that the maintainer of Ubuntu's rt-kernel is about to quit.
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-studio-users/2010-September/006588.html
>
> Is the puredyne rt-kernel from Ubuntu's repo, or Puredyne's?

Early versions of the Puredyne rt-kernel were made by us, but prior to
release Puredyne 9.10 when we compared it with the final rt one from
Ubuntu karmic we could not see any difference in terms of perf and
stability, which was not the same in previous versions if I recall
correctly.

So we decided to use the one from Ubuntu to save us time.

> I know that there was a puredyne rt-kernel before the stable release of C&C.
>
> Perhaps in this case there is cause for collaboration between
> purdyne and Studioubuntu?
> At least when it comes to working on the rt-kernel.

There is a dedicated list on Linux Audio (LAT) for that. A common
consolidated effort would be good indeed and was one of the goal if this
list.
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-tuning/2008-August/000012.html

In the past we got great feedback from this list when we were fine
tuning our RT kernel but it seems a bit quiet now. I think someone must
just take the lead :P