[puredyne] puredyne on macbook pro?

enrike enrike

[puredyne] puredyne on macbook pro?

hi all

is anyone using puredyne on a macbook pro?

my daughter destroyed the screen of our macbook pro here couple of days
ago, this machine has been used only with OSX until now. Replacing the
screen costs almost 600 euros. This model is one and a half year old
only but it has the trackpad click broken as well (seems to be quite
common). Fixing both screen and trackpad will cost close to 800 euros so
we are considering buying a new laptop and me using the broken laptop as
a desktop with a monitor/mouse/keyboard, providing that the macbook is
more powerful that my current desktop machine...

enrike

capossiello capossiello

Re: [puredyne] puredyne on macbook pro?

ofcourse, use http://refit.sourceforge.net/ for boot
good look!

2010/11/30 enrike <[hidden email]>
hi all

is anyone using puredyne on a macbook pro?

my daughter destroyed the screen of our macbook pro here couple of days ago, this machine has been used only with OSX until now. Replacing the screen costs almost 600 euros. This model is one and a half year old only but it has the trackpad click broken as well (seems to be quite common). Fixing both screen and trackpad will cost close to 800 euros so we are considering buying a new laptop and me using the broken laptop as a desktop with a monitor/mouse/keyboard, providing that the macbook is more powerful that my current desktop machine...

enrike

http://capo.quodvis.net/
ofic. amapola 3959-A // 562 495 84 27
movil  87803530
*[hidden email]*

enrike enrike

Re: [puredyne] puredyne on macbook pro?

aha! nice thanks. I thought Ubuntu would take care of dualboot like in
non mac machines

On 30/11/10 22:47, capossiello wrote:

> ofcourse, use http://refit.sourceforge.net/ for boot
> good look!
>
> 2010/11/30 enrike <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     hi all
>
>     is anyone using puredyne on a macbook pro?
>
>     my daughter destroyed the screen of our macbook pro here couple of
>     days ago, this machine has been used only with OSX until now.
>     Replacing the screen costs almost 600 euros. This model is one and a
>     half year old only but it has the trackpad click broken as well
>     (seems to be quite common). Fixing both screen and trackpad will
>     cost close to 800 euros so we are considering buying a new laptop
>     and me using the broken laptop as a desktop with a
>     monitor/mouse/keyboard, providing that the macbook is more powerful
>     that my current desktop machine...
>
>     enrike
>
>     ---
>     [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
>     irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne <http://irc.goto10.org/puredyne>
>

> --
> http://capo.quodvis.net/
> ofic. amapola 3959-A // 562 495 84 27
> movil  87803530
> *sip:[hidden email]
> <mailto:sip%[hidden email]>*

Jérôme Abel Jérôme Abel

Re: [puredyne] puredyne on macbook pro?

We wrote something about this in a workshop in Dakar.
We have installed 8 PureDyne on Mac Mini Intel !

It could be helpful ...

- Install GNU/Linux/PureDyne on Mac Mini Intel with multiboot -
Tutorial source : http://sowerbutts.com/linux-mac-mini/#i386

-----------------
- Prerequisites -
-----------------
My configuration : Mac mini with Mac OS X installed,
Verify your configuration : Apple > About this Mac,
Download Pure Dyne, burn it on CD or DVD (http://puredyne.org/download.html)
Download rEFIt (choose disk image for Mac) (http://refit.sourceforge.net/)

-----------
- Warning -
-----------
Save your data on an external storage.

----------------
- Installation -
----------------
1. Start Mac OS X
2. Launch Boot Camp, disk partitioning software.
          o Finder > Applications > Utilitaries > Assistant Boot Camp
          o Partition the disk (choose the size)
          o Click on quit and install later
3. Install rEFIt, open-source software to start multi-boot.
          o Click on the file with .mpkg extension
          o Click on continue
          o Accept the licence
          o Fill the password field
          o Click on continue
4. Insert Pure Dyne CD-Rom
5. Restart
6. Choose the Linux icon (pingoo). If it doesn't appear, restart with rEFIt as much as necessary.
7. In the boot menu, choose "Start Pure Dyne". The live session will start.
8. On the desktop, right click > Application > System > Install Pure Dyne
9. In the installation window
          o Choose the language > Next
          o Choose the location > Next
          o Choose Macintosh keyboard > Next
          o Choose manual partitioning (be careful)
          o Delete the fat32 partition created by Boot Camp
          o Add a new partition "ext4"
          o Write the Linux partition size, but reserve enought memory space for Swap partition (common use : same size than you RAM)
          o Choose the mount point (common use : "/") and apply
          o Finally, add a Swap partition with the free space, apply
          o Click on Next
10. Write your login and password
11. Click on Next, the installation will start
12. Restart
13. In the boot menu, choose "MS Windows" icon (created by Boot Camp !) which is your Puredyne
14. After, another menu appears, choose the first line. The installed PureDyne will start.
15. Make a test with Pure Data
          o Right click on the Desktop > Applications > Audio > Pure data
          o Choose Help menu in Pure Data > Browser >Gem > Basic > Cylindre

--
Jérôme Abel
http://abel.jerome.free.fr

Manjunan Gnanaratnam Manjunan Gnanaratnam

Re: [puredyne] puredyne on macbook pro?

I have  Vmware Fusion installed on my intel Macbook pro which now has
multiple Puredyne Virtual Machines on it. Using  Vmware Fusion will allow
you to still have OSX as the main operating system, have access to shared
media files, switch between OSX and Puredyne  without rebooting..and
importantly you  can blow away a virtual machine for whatever reason and
recreate another one easily.  It works if it is something you want to try
out.   US 40.00 $  I think for VMware Fusion.

Best.

Manju.