[puredyne] puredyne gazpacho alpha4 - please test!

[puredyne] puredyne gazpacho alpha4 - please test!

Hi everyone,

Dan mentioned it already, but it was in another thread, so I repost.

We have a decent alpha to test:
go get it on of the HTTP mirrors
http://puredyne.org/download.html

Just go to the parent directory of the mirrors links to find the
gazpacho folder and you'll find:

puredyne-1010-gazpacho-CD-amd64-alpha4.iso
puredyne-1010-gazpacho-CD-i386-alpha4.iso
puredyne-1010-gazpacho-DVD-amd64-alpha4.iso
puredyne-1010-gazpacho-DVD-i386-alpha4.iso

Tell us what you think of it (and report bugs)!
We're getting close to freezing things for gazpacho.

'2+ '2+

Re: [puredyne] puredyne gazpacho alpha4 - please test!

hi, long time no see
would you say that
this version is mature enough to test the "installing" issue?
asking this cuz ive bumped into the old blogpost mentionin that
installing is not ready yet

i bought a tiny atom machine named LOOXG90 from Fujitsu
this one had sound & x related issue with natty but
p:d_a1 from the external cdr-drive gives me a pretty good result
have to keep doze7 there just to upgrade the ios of my iPodTouch
and i already have 2 more live env for common use
so am considering to install p:d to a micro-sd(adapted as an usb dev)
in order to give a quick boot for LOOXG90

well on the other hand i also wanna follow your
"build live without burning a cd" instruction
.. so .. after all .. will test this one anyways :D

thx for the hard work!

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 6:51 AM, Aymeric Mansoux <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Dan mentioned it already, but it was in another thread, so I repost.
>
> We have a decent alpha to test:
> go get it on of the HTTP mirrors
> http://puredyne.org/download.html
>
> Just go to the parent directory of the mirrors links to find the
> gazpacho folder and you'll find:
>
> puredyne-1010-gazpacho-CD-amd64-alpha4.iso
> puredyne-1010-gazpacho-CD-i386-alpha4.iso
> puredyne-1010-gazpacho-DVD-amd64-alpha4.iso
> puredyne-1010-gazpacho-DVD-i386-alpha4.iso
>
> Tell us what you think of it (and report bugs)!
> We're getting close to freezing things for gazpacho.
>

> a.
> --
> http://su.kuri.mu

SaRiGaMa's Oil Vending Orchestra
is podcasting:
http://sarigama.namaste.jp/podcast/rss.xml
'2+ '2+

Re: [puredyne] puredyne gazpacho alpha4 - please test!

well downloaded
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  742184960 2011-05-23 08:26
puredyne-1010-gazpacho-CD-i386-alpha4.iso
and it seems to be too large to burn it to a cdr
so i followed
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Puredyne/Creating_a_live_USB_stick
to build a live usb-microsd on other distro
it seems to have went well but when booting
says:

file not found .. need to load the kernel first

things installed looks like this

Filesystem             Size   Used  Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb4               14G   5.5G   7.7G  42% /
none                   519M   271k   519M   1% /dev
none                   520M    25k   520M   1% /dev/shm
none                   520M    95k   520M   1% /var/run
none                   520M      0   520M   0% /var/lock
/dev/sdb2               43G    24G    18G  58% /nuclear
/dev/sdb1               22G   9.7G    11G  49% /oil
/dev/sdc1              828M   748M    39M  96% /media/puredyne
/dev/sdc2              7.2G    16M   6.8G   1% /media/live-rw
~# cd /media/puredyne
/media/puredyne# ls
boot  extra  LICENSE  live  lost+found md5sum.txt  pure.seed  README
/media/puredyne# cd /media/live-rw/
/media/live-rw# ls
lost+found

maybe the micro-sd itself is the prob ..

tnx in advance

--
SaRiGaMa's Oil Vending Orchestra
is podcasting:
http://sarigama.namaste.jp/podcast/rss.xml
keithpeter keithpeter

Re: [puredyne] puredyne gazpacho alpha4 - please test!

Hello All

Aymeric Mansoux wrote
Tell us what you think of it (and report bugs)!
We're getting close to freezing things for gazpacho.
Downloaded the i386 CD image of 10.10 Alpha 4 and burned it to a dvd (708Mb) and it boots fine on a T42 thinkpad. Unmuted the mic using alsamixer (always have to do that), loaded jack and ardour, and made some noise. All seems to be working.

This may sound daft but ow do we 'test' the alpha? Is there a standard set of tests or just do our normal stuff or do you want people trying a hard drive install?

Cheers

On 5/22/11, '2+ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> well downloaded
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  742184960 2011-05-23 08:26
> puredyne-1010-gazpacho-CD-i386-alpha4.iso
> and it seems to be too large to burn it to a cdr
> so i followed
> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Puredyne/Creating_a_live_USB_stick
> to build a live usb-microsd on other distro
> it seems to have went well but when booting
> says:
>
> file not found .. need to load the kernel first

this is an issue with the make-live-device.sh

i was able to get a USB to boot by installing grub
manually and altering the config files that come with
the iso.  there's a bug report about it:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/puredyne-live/+bug/783021

good luck.

Re: [puredyne] puredyne gazpacho alpha4 - please test!

by the way,

i built gazpacho with broth a few days ago, is it going
to be the same as alpha 4?

i've been having a few issues with it, the major one being
a complete lockup when trying to stop network manager from
connecting to my network.  it worked the first time, and
now keeps trying to connect, but popping up a dialog asking
for my network password, and if i cancel it the whole system
becomes unresponsive.  this may be something glitchy with
the way i had to configure my USB, so i'll try out the
official ISO as soon as I can.

On 5/23/11, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/22/11, '2+ <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> well downloaded
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  742184960 2011-05-23 08:26
>> puredyne-1010-gazpacho-CD-i386-alpha4.iso
>> and it seems to be too large to burn it to a cdr
>> so i followed
>> http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Puredyne/Creating_a_live_USB_stick
>> to build a live usb-microsd on other distro
>> it seems to have went well but when booting
>> says:
>>
>> file not found .. need to load the kernel first
>
> this is an issue with the make-live-device.sh
>
> i was able to get a USB to boot by installing grub
> manually and altering the config files that come with
> the iso.  there's a bug report about it:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/puredyne-live/+bug/783021
>
> good luck.

Julian Brooks Julian Brooks

Re: [puredyne] puredyne gazpacho alpha4 - please test!

Seems to be working well (and boots obviously) on an ibm x61s.  Still can't get any response from the 'install to hd' option.

Latest amd64 dvd iso using netbootin.

Cheers,

Julian

'2+ '2+

Re: [puredyne] puredyne gazpacho alpha4 - please test!

hi!

>> file not found .. need to load the kernel first
>
> this is an issue with the make-live-device.sh
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/puredyne-live/+bug/783021
>
> good luck.

this one did it
now i can test some more
thanx a million!!

--
SaRiGaMa's Oil Vending Orchestra
is podcasting:
http://sarigama.namaste.jp/podcast/rss.xml

Re: [puredyne] puredyne gazpacho alpha4 - please test!

writing from a successful boot of the i386 DVD iso copied to a FAT32 partition on a USB stick.  First step in trying to make a Mactel/Wintel universal boot stick.  No problems so far, here's the grub entry i used to make it work:

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
menuentry "Puredyne" {
         recordfail=1
         if [ -n ${have_grubenv} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi
     set quiet=1
     set root=(hd0,1)
     search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 7812-52F7
     linux /live/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=1000000 boot=live persistent username=lintian hostname=puredyne
     initrd /live/initrd.img
}

one would have to set the UUID to their own disk obviously.

if you want to try a manual install, here's what i did:

use gparted to create a FAT32 partition, 1.21 Gb. enable boot flag and label it PUREDYNE.  make the rest of the stick into an ext2 partition labeled live-rw.

mount -o loop puredyne-xxx.iso /mnt/iso
cd /mnt/iso
cp -r * /media/PUREDYNE
grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=/media/PUREDYNE /dev/sdb (whatever device your own usb is)

then i put that custom grub entry in my /etc/grub.d directory and ran:
grub-mkconfig -o /media/PUREDYNE/boot/grub/grub.cfg

there may be an easier way,  but this works.  I believe the system partition has to be vfat for Macs to recognize it.  Now to test EFI and booting on a mac.  Hopefully this info is helpful to those wanting to test liveUSB.

Any tips on making these steps more robust?  I just figured its the bare minimum of what is happening with any of the liveUSB creators out there.

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:32 AM, '2+ <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi!

>> file not found .. need to load the kernel first
>
> this is an issue with the make-live-device.sh

this one did it
now i can test some more
thanx a million!!

Re: [puredyne] puredyne gazpacho alpha4 - please test!

glad to see mocp!

i'd like to contribute a config file for it so the theme goes along better with puredyne by default.  small thing, but just trying to remind myself.  i'll get on the launchpad stuff...

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 5:58 PM, grant centauri <[hidden email]> wrote:
writing from a successful boot of the i386 DVD iso copied to a FAT32 partition on a USB stick.  First step in trying to make a Mactel/Wintel universal boot stick.  No problems so far, here's the grub entry i used to make it work:

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
menuentry "Puredyne" {
         recordfail=1
         if [ -n ${have_grubenv} ]; then save_env recordfail; fi
     set quiet=1
     set root=(hd0,1)
     search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set 7812-52F7
     linux /live/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=1000000 boot=live persistent username=lintian hostname=puredyne
     initrd /live/initrd.img
}

one would have to set the UUID to their own disk obviously.

if you want to try a manual install, here's what i did:

use gparted to create a FAT32 partition, 1.21 Gb. enable boot flag and label it PUREDYNE.  make the rest of the stick into an ext2 partition labeled live-rw.

mount -o loop puredyne-xxx.iso /mnt/iso
cd /mnt/iso
cp -r * /media/PUREDYNE
grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=/media/PUREDYNE /dev/sdb (whatever device your own usb is)

then i put that custom grub entry in my /etc/grub.d directory and ran:
grub-mkconfig -o /media/PUREDYNE/boot/grub/grub.cfg

there may be an easier way,  but this works.  I believe the system partition has to be vfat for Macs to recognize it.  Now to test EFI and booting on a mac.  Hopefully this info is helpful to those wanting to test liveUSB.

Any tips on making these steps more robust?  I just figured its the bare minimum of what is happening with any of the liveUSB creators out there.

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 10:32 AM, '2+ <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi!

>> file not found .. need to load the kernel first
>
> this is an issue with the make-live-device.sh

this one did it
now i can test some more
thanx a million!!

Re: [puredyne] puredyne gazpacho alpha4 - please test!

update on Wacom Bamboo CTH460

the Pen part works, but the touch part doesn't.  not a big deal, as the pen part is the important thing.

all four parts of the tablet show up under the XFCE mouse settings dialog, Pen eraser, Pen stylus, Finger pad, Finger touch... but i'm not sure how to make things work.

keithpeter said :
> This may sound daft but ow do we 'test' the alpha? Is there a standard set
> of tests or just do our normal stuff or do you want people trying a hard
> drive install?

That's a good question actually :)

I tried to answer with this page (created just now).
Anyone is free to develop it further or start a discussion about what
would be the best way to deal with this issue:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Puredyne/Stress_Testing

grant centauri said :
> glad to see mocp!
>
> i'd like to contribute a config file for it so the theme goes along better
> with puredyne by default.  small thing, but just trying to remind myself.
> i'll get on the launchpad stuff...

you can add config files in the broth stock dir. Look for the folder
"skel" somewhere in the tree.