Quantcast

[puredyne] puredata extended

felix nicolás nicanor felix nicolás nicanor

[puredyne] puredata extended

Hi, I am new to Puredyne and want to install Pd extended, but it doesn't
show in the repositories and does not work installing the .deb file (I
must say that I am new to linux too, just in case).
Could anybody help me in this issue?
Thank you all and a big HELLO to everybody in the list!
Julian Brooks Julian Brooks

Re: [puredyne] puredata extended

Hey Felix and welcome to the list,

Well firstly I would say that you should check/search some of the previous threads - my memory is that there is one from a month or so ago that walks you through the process (though I haven't tried it myself).  You should also include which version of Puredyne you have and also which version of Pde you want to install.

Also are you aware that the pre-installed version of Pd has many of the major libs pre-packaged and it may be simpler to just add something if it isn't already included.  There is also a big bunch of abstractions as well as external libs so have a good explore.

All good wishes,

Julian

On 8 September 2011 02:56, felix nicanor <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, I am new to Puredyne and want to install Pd extended, but it doesn't show in the repositories and does not work installing the .deb file (I must say that I am new to linux too, just in case).
Could anybody help me in this issue?
Thank you all and a big HELLO to everybody in the list!

felix nicolás nicanor felix nicolás nicanor

Re: [puredyne] puredata extended

Hey Julian, thankyou for your welcome,

I am in Puredyne 911 carrot and coriander dvd version (installed, not live) and that probably shows me my first error: I wanted to install puredata extended for karmic 910 (the down below ubuntu version in this link: http://puredata.info/community/projects/software/pd-extended).

Yes, I might like the preinstalled version as I understand that it must be configured precicely and therefore stable and reliable, so I am willing to give it a try. But I do not understand some problems and differences I find. I add a path to my abstractions (/home/felix/mysounds/mypuredata/abstractions) and I accept and it gives me the same result every time: instead of selecting all the abstractions in this folder, I don't know why it always choose this path to a folder inside the one I choose: /home/felix/mysounds/mypuredata/abstractions/rottensound (in which I only have a few abstractions classified under the "rottensound" name.

The second problem is that I don't know how to install or even find the abstractions that I am missing (freeverb is the one I noticed), but I guess that both this problems should be posted in the pd list instead (?), and I believe that this last one might not be difficult to solve anyway (hope I'm right).

Something relating Puredyne that I don't get is how do you install a debian package, I mean, as I tried xubuntu before for a month or two, and as I realize Puredyne is based in it, how is it that Puredyne does not have the automatic installing proccess when clicking on a .deb file, just asking for the needed packages?

Also, when I right click in the download manager in firefox and choose "open containing folder" why is it asking me to choose a program to open it with? what should I do then?

Anyway, I am new to Puredyne (first 36 hours), and again, I am also new to linux itself (some months), so forgive if my questions are not intelligent ones. I'll appreciate a lot the gidelines.

Thank you again and best wishes to you too,
Felix

Julian Brooks wrote:
[...]

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="irc://">irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

--- [hidden email] http://identi.ca/group/puredyne <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne">irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

On 8 September 2011 13:29, felix nicanor <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Julian, thankyou for your welcome,

no problem.

I am in Puredyne 911 carrot and coriander dvd version (installed, not live)

Yes, me too.

and that probably shows me my first error: I wanted to install puredata extended for karmic 910 (the down below ubuntu version in this link: http://puredata.info/community/projects/software/pd-extended).

That version wont run on my 64b machine but I have Pde as well as Pd installed on this machine so it is possible.

I have a memory of having to change a couple of parameters in the makefile to get it to work.  But it did.  Sorry I'm not more precise, it was a while ago and I don't do much compiling either.  One of the pleasures of Puredyne is that it pretty much all works so it generally doesn't require much fiddling with.  This can also be a negative too.

Yes, I might like the preinstalled version as I understand that it must be configured precicely and therefore stable and reliable, so I am willing to give it a try. But I do not understand some problems and differences I find. I add a path to my abstractions (/home/felix/mysounds/mypuredata/abstractions) and I accept and it gives me the same result every time: instead of selecting all the abstractions in this folder, I don't know why it always choose this path to a folder inside the one I choose: /home/felix/mysounds/mypuredata/abstractions/rottensound (in which I only have a few abstractions classified under the "rottensound" name.

Have you explored the '.pdrc' file?  On my computer it's in /home/julian and you need 'show hidden files' turned on in the folder window. This is where your pd pointing is done I think.  Check if your abstractions are being set to the wrong folder in the .pdrc, just correct/add-to the file and save out, reboot pd.

The second problem is that I don't know how to install or even find the abstractions that I am missing (freeverb is the one I noticed), but I guess that both this problems should be posted in the pd list instead (?), and I believe that this last one might not be difficult to solve anyway (hope I'm right).

You should be able to find those easily online but I am also aware that Pd still has no satisfactory way of telling you what externals you are missing.  I would recommend checking that all the available libs in Puredyne are definitely booting and then see what, if anything, you are missing.

I have compiled a few libs recently and it was pretty painless(pmpd for example), although there are a few that defeated me (cyclone).  As someone has mentioned previously it is possible to just transfer some libs from program to program and across different computers but I guess it should in no way be seen as a sensible solution.

Something relating Puredyne that I don't get is how do you install a debian package, I mean, as I tried xubuntu before for a month or two, and as I realize Puredyne is based in it, how is it that Puredyne does not have the automatic installing proccess when clicking on a .deb file, just asking for the needed packages?

You have the 'gDebi' package installer?  Sometimes I add things that I think everyone already has, Ed Kelly recommended having the 'xfce cpu govorner' which is very handy for example.    One of the design aims of Puredyne is to be much lighter than Ubuntu, sometimes that streamlining makes for a more involved interaction with the OS.

Also, when I right click in the download manager in firefox and choose "open containing folder" why is it asking me to choose a program to open it with? what should I do then?

Ah yes, that is irritating isn't it.  Your files will be in the download folder /home/blahblah/download, I think.

Anyway, I am new to Puredyne (first 36 hours), and again, I am also new to linux itself (some months), so forgive if my questions are not intelligent ones. I'll appreciate a lot the gidelines.

Hope you like it - it's really worth persevering with I reckon.  I too am very much Linux-light and perhaps some more knowledgeable list'ers can weigh in to help with your specific problems.  If not, apparently the irc channel is where you can find some of the devs, some of the time.

Thank you again and best wishes to you too,

Your welcome and kind regards,

Julian

Felix

Julian Brooks wrote:

[...]

Thank you, it works fine now, it recognizes it all.

The second problem is that I don't know how to install or even find the abstractions that I am missing (freeverb is the one I noticed)
Still missing freeverb, but now that the screen has got cleaner it seems to be the only one missing.
I found the source in http://puredata.info/community/projects/software/freeverb and now I want to learn how to compile it (the info should be in the documentation, I guess).
, but I guess that both this problems should be posted in the pd list instead (?), and I believe that this last one might not be difficult to solve anyway (hope I'm right).

You should be able to find those easily online but I am also aware that Pd still has no satisfactory way of telling you what externals you are missing.  I would recommend checking that all the available libs in Puredyne are definitely booting and then see what, if anything, you are missing.
How should I do it? Must I try each one in the /usr/lib/pd/extra folder? Anyway it seems that my patch is quite vanilla. The only external used is freeverb, and this is because I still don't know how to do a reverb by myself (using only what puredata provides)

[...]

No, I see it is missing. I'll install it now, but I will continue fixing the already installed pd version. Thank you for the info.

I feel that not having it was lucky, as I am getting confortable with not needing a probably not configured, supefluous and redundant pde installment.

A difference I would like to understand is that in the extended version I was able to change the colours of the canvas, wires and such by tweaking the pd.tk file in the /usr/lib/pd/bin folder. Now, this version of pd is more like the vanilla one, is it so? the interface colours are defined in a way I do not understand. Do you?

about the Puredyne design aim, I really like it, for sure.

Also, when I right click in the download manager in firefox and choose "open containing folder" why is it asking me to choose a program to open it with? what should I do then?

Ah yes, that is irritating isn't it.  Your files will be in the download folder /home/blahblah/download, I think.
Yes it is, but not a great deal. If you happen to find how to fix it please let me know.

Anyway, I am new to Puredyne (first 36 hours), and again, I am also new to linux itself (some months), so forgive if my questions are not intelligent ones. I'll appreciate a lot the gidelines.

Hope you like it - it's really worth persevering with I reckon.  I too am very much Linux-light and perhaps some more knowledgeable list'ers can weigh in to help with your specific problems.  If not, apparently the irc channel is where you can find some of the devs, some of the time.

Thank you again and best wishes to you too,

Your welcome and kind regards,
Julian, you are extremely helpful. Thank you a lot, really

Felix

Julian

Felix

Julian Brooks wrote:
[...]

Good to hear you have some joy with pd.

Regarding reverb, there was a recent thread on the pd list about this titled "reverb in pd" (check the archives) including one from Claude who is one of the pd devs on Puredyne.  The [rev1-3~] externals are also included in Puredyne already.

Not sure about the canvas colour stuff, sorry.

Cheers,

Julian

Julian Brooks wrote:
[...]

Björn Eriksson Björn Eriksson

Re: [puredyne] puredata extended

hello,
sorry for changing the subject a little - but does someone know what happened with the http://puredata.info site? Seems to be down since some days.

all the best,
björn eriksson

Julian Brooks wrote:
[...]

Hi Julian, thank you for the reverb tips.
Sorry if I made you wait. I have been trying to fix some problems (multimedia buttons not working, function buttons not working -no print-screen function-, no extended unrar functions working -with all the rar related program files installed- and a few else). I don't want to overload the list with this, so I am searching for solutions in the net.
The fact is that I came to Puredyne for Puredata, and it seems to be working nice, but the rest is (please, take it respectfully) quite undeveloped, so it is taking time to let it running.
About the color, I emailed the person responsible and I'll wait for an answer, if any, but it is not an important matter, please don't worry.
Thank you a lot for all the help and patience you showed me.
Felix

Julian Brooks wrote:
[...]

Well done for sticking with it...

I too came to Puredyne for Pd and am still discovering new things (Kdenlive for example means I don't have to rely on getting my lazy arse into the Uni where I'm based to do video documentation work, which is great).

I think it's important to remember that Puredyne is run by a small group of people and relies on the community to pitch in, so any solutions you find, it would be great to share those too.

Best of luck with everything,

Julian

Julian Brooks wrote:
[...]

Re: [puredyne] solution for .rar management (was: puredata extended)

Julian Brooks wrote:
Hey Felix,
Hi again Julian,

Well done for sticking with it...

I too came to Puredyne for Pd and am still discovering new things (Kdenlive for example means I don't have to rely on getting my lazy arse into the Uni where I'm based to do video documentation work, which is great).

I think it's important to remember that Puredyne is run by a small group of people and relies on the community to pitch in, so any solutions you find, it would be great to share those too.
Yes, of course, that's my aim too.
I solved my rar problem unninstalling squeeze and installing file roller in the synaptic package manager. A pity it is not an xfce app (I lost a lot of time looking for a solution in that direction), but it works fine and allows for complex compressing (multi-part rar was my need).
I will post future solutions I find for the problems I have.

Do you, by the way, know something about why puredata's audio does not work if the internet browser is opened?

Best of luck with everything,
Thank you a lot for the spirit. I hope I will be posting other tips soon.

Julian Brooks wrote:
[...]

Re: [puredyne] solution for .ps viewing

I installed evince in order to solve the postcript viewing. It does not apear in the xfce menu and had to do the "open with" proccess and call "document viewer" (the Evince name does not appear anywhere).
Please tell me if I should or not post the solutions I find to my basic needs here. It seems like Puredyne is only aimed to multimedia creation and performance and asumes the user has another machine for other stuff. Perhaps this list, considering that, does not need this list of solutions for my own needs.
Regards,
Felix

felix nicanor wrote:
Julian Brooks wrote:
Hey Felix,
Hi again Julian,

Julian Brooks wrote:
[...]

<a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="irc://">irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

--- [hidden email] http://identi.ca/group/puredyne <a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne">irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

felix nicolás nicanor felix nicolás nicanor

Re: [puredyne] solution for screenshot (print screen)

I found the import command. It works like this:
in the terminal write (path is an example):
print /home/username/name_given_to_the_picture.png
after hitting enter the cursor turns into a cross which you have to drag to determine the area to print into a .png image.
If someone knows how to tie this process to the print screen key, please post it in the list.

felix nicanor wrote:
I installed evince in order to solve the postcript viewing. It does not apear in the xfce menu and had to do the "open with" proccess and call "document viewer" (the Evince name does not appear anywhere).
Please tell me if I should or not post the solutions I find to my basic needs here. It seems like Puredyne is only aimed to multimedia creation and performance and asumes the user has another machine for other stuff. Perhaps this list, considering that, does not need this list of solutions for my own needs.
Regards,
Felix

felix nicanor wrote:
Julian Brooks wrote:
Hey Felix,
Hi again Julian,

Julian Brooks wrote:
[...]

Well, one thing about GNU/Linux is that there are many ways to 'skin a cat'.  One of the reasons there might not have been a PS/PDF viewer is because there are many choices out there, and people tend to prefer a particular application for certain things.  Its easy enough to install, so sometimes things like that might be left out of a live distro.

As far as the screenshot stuff goes.... XFCE has a Keyboard dialog in the Settings menu where you can map certain commands to a key combination.  I just mapped the command:

import -window root screen.png

to the Print Screen button and it seems to be working just fine.  Of course, every time you press it, the file ~/screen.png will be overwritten.  There might be a way to expand that command to do more for you.  Just use your imagination.  And documentation.

-grant

felix nicanor wrote:
I installed evince in order to solve the postcript viewing. It does not apear in the xfce menu and had to do the "open with" proccess and call "document viewer" (the Evince name does not appear anywhere).
Please tell me if I should or not post the solutions I find to my basic needs here. It seems like Puredyne is only aimed to multimedia creation and performance and asumes the user has another machine for other stuff. Perhaps this list, considering that, does not need this list of solutions for my own needs.
Regards,
Felix

felix nicanor wrote:
Julian Brooks wrote:
Hey Felix,
Hi again Julian,

--- [hidden email] http://identi.ca/group/puredyne irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

felix nicolás nicanor felix nicolás nicanor

Re: [puredyne] solution for screenshot (print screen)

Hello Grant Centauri,

grant centauri wrote:
Well, one thing about GNU/Linux is that there are many ways to 'skin a cat'.  One of the reasons there might not have been a PS/PDF viewer is because there are many choices out there, and people tend to prefer a particular application for certain things.  Its easy enough to install, so sometimes things like that might be left out of a live distro.
I understand that, and maybe it means I should not post my solutions if it is about a program prefference.

As far as the screenshot stuff goes.... XFCE has a Keyboard dialog in the Settings menu where you can map certain commands to a key combination.  I just mapped the command:

import -window root screen.png
Thank you for this, it works fine for me.

I seize to tell Mr. Jack Lang how it worked:
The first dialogue box is where you have the space to include the command or, clicking in "open", select the command (or program) from usr/bin folder.
The second dialogue box expects for you to click in the combination of keys you want to use to call that command. After you choose your preffered key / key combination, if there is no conflict with another keyboard shortcut, then it just closes itself as if you had pressed an ok button and that's it: it is already working. If a conflict appears, another dialogue box will ask you if you want to keep the former of the later command for your key/key combination.

Something I found out is that all my multimedia keys are working fine and the sistem recognizes them, but the commands they call do not exist in the usr/bin folder. These are the aumix -v0, aumix -v-10 and aumix -v+10. So you didn't only gave me one solution but also a tip about another one.

to the Print Screen button and it seems to be working just fine.  Of course, every time you press it, the file ~/screen.png will be overwritten.
That's ok with me.
There might be a way to expand that command to do more for you.  Just use your imagination.  And documentation.
I am reading now the Puredyne Manual, and I will look for a command line manual. I hope any of the laters would be usefull in Puredyne too.

-grant

Thank you a lot, Grant, you helped me a lot.
Felix

felix nicanor wrote:
I installed evince in order to solve the postcript viewing. It does not apear in the xfce menu and had to do the "open with" proccess and call "document viewer" (the Evince name does not appear anywhere).
Please tell me if I should or not post the solutions I find to my basic needs here. It seems like Puredyne is only aimed to multimedia creation and performance and asumes the user has another machine for other stuff. Perhaps this list, considering that, does not need this list of solutions for my own needs.
Regards,
Felix

felix nicanor wrote:
Julian Brooks wrote:
Hey Felix,
Hi again Julian,

Julian Brooks wrote:
[...]

Re: [puredyne] solution for using "open containing folder" option from web browser download manager context menu

Thanks to Grant Centauri I realized that what I needed to do was targeting the file explorer, so I did.
Right clicking and selecting "open containing folder" was giving me a dialogue box asking for the program to perform the task. Clicking in the "select" button I navigated to the usr/bin folder and then selected thunar (without caps. It was the first I tried, so I don't know what would have happened if I choosed Thunar instead). And that was it. It works fine now.

felix nicanor wrote:
Hello Grant Centauri,

felix nicanor wrote:
I installed evince in order to solve the postcript viewing. It does not apear in the xfce menu and had to do the "open with" proccess and call "document viewer" (the Evince name does not appear anywhere).
Please tell me if I should or not post the solutions I find to my basic needs here. It seems like Puredyne is only aimed to multimedia creation and performance and asumes the user has another machine for other stuff. Perhaps this list, considering that, does not need this list of solutions for my own needs.
Regards,
Felix

felix nicanor wrote:
Julian Brooks wrote: