[puredyne] pure:dyne on macbook pro

Miguel Negrao Miguel Negrao

[puredyne] pure:dyne on macbook pro

Hi

I was trying out pure:dyne today on my macbook pro. I got it installed but I can’t really use it because I can’t type third level characters such as {} @, etc.  In ubuntu I solved this by going to system->keyboard->layout and setting the third level key to the left alt, but in puredyne there is no such option in the keyboard options. All the hints I found online told me to edit files that did not exist in pure:dyne. Is there a way to fix this ?

thanks
Miguel Negrão

ps: why use xfce ? it’s like going back 10 years, for me....
Ricardo Gabriel Herdt Ricardo Gabriel Herdt

Re: [puredyne] pure:dyne on macbook pro

Hi Miguel!

take a look at xmodmap (man page), it will do what you want on any
linux machine. Basically you need a .Xmodmap in your ~/ directory with
the commands to do what you want.

I'm no pure:dyne developer, but they for sure have choosen Xfce cause
it has a balance between lightness and usability. I like light window
managers (personally I use dwm), but for newcomers I always show and
install Gnome first, it's really an awesome desktop environment. You
can try installing gnome on pure:dyne, but there is a chance you mess
up with something (careful with pulse audio). But last time I did this
it went well.

Best Regards,

Ricardo

Ricardo G. Herdt said :
> Hi Miguel!
>
> take a look at xmodmap (man page), it will do what you want on any
> linux machine. Basically you need a .Xmodmap in your ~/ directory with
> the commands to do what you want.

try this in a terminal:

setxkbmap -option lv3:rwin_switch,apple:badmap

> I'm no pure:dyne developer, but they for sure have choosen Xfce cause
> it has a balance between lightness and usability. I like light window
> managers (personally I use dwm), but for newcomers I always show and
> install Gnome first, it's really an awesome desktop environment. You
> can try installing gnome on pure:dyne, but there is a chance you mess
> up with something (careful with pulse audio). But last time I did this
> it went well.

Yes, Ricardo is correct, XFCE is a good balance between lightness and
usability, we do not think Puredyne should be a showcase for desktop
eyecandy, but instead provides solid basic to run a stable audio/video
environment.

Of course, as suggested you can install any other windows manager.

a.

> Best Regards,
>
> Ricardo
>
> 2010/5/4, Miguel Negrao <[hidden email]>:
> > Hi
> >
> > I was trying out pure:dyne today on my macbook pro. I got it installed but I
> > can’t really use it because I can’t type third level characters such as {}
> > @, etc.  In ubuntu I solved this by going to system->keyboard->layout and
> > setting the third level key to the left alt, but in puredyne there is no
> > such option in the keyboard options. All the hints I found online told me to
> > edit files that did not exist in pure:dyne. Is there a way to fix this ?
> >
> > thanks
> > Miguel Negrão
> >
> > ps: why use xfce ? it’s like going back 10 years, for me....
> > ---
> > [hidden email]
> > http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> > irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

Miguel Negrao Miguel Negrao

Re: [puredyne] pure:dyne on macbook pro

Thanks, guys, I will try this.

Miguel Negrão

A 2010/05/04, às 23:16, Aymeric Mansoux escreveu:

> Ricardo G. Herdt said :
>> Hi Miguel!
>>
>> take a look at xmodmap (man page), it will do what you want on any
>> linux machine. Basically you need a .Xmodmap in your ~/ directory with
>> the commands to do what you want.
>
> try this in a terminal:
>
> setxkbmap -option lv3:rwin_switch,apple:badmap
>

>> I'm no pure:dyne developer, but they for sure have choosen Xfce cause
>> it has a balance between lightness and usability. I like light window
>> managers (personally I use dwm), but for newcomers I always show and
>> install Gnome first, it's really an awesome desktop environment. You
>> can try installing gnome on pure:dyne, but there is a chance you mess
>> up with something (careful with pulse audio). But last time I did this
>> it went well.
>
> Yes, Ricardo is correct, XFCE is a good balance between lightness and
> usability, we do not think Puredyne should be a showcase for desktop
> eyecandy, but instead provides solid basic to run a stable audio/video
> environment.
>
> Of course, as suggested you can install any other windows manager.
>
> a.
>

>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Ricardo
>>
>> 2010/5/4, Miguel Negrao <[hidden email]>:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I was trying out pure:dyne today on my macbook pro. I got it installed but I
>>> can’t really use it because I can’t type third level characters such as {}
>>> @, etc.  In ubuntu I solved this by going to system->keyboard->layout and
>>> setting the third level key to the left alt, but in puredyne there is no
>>> such option in the keyboard options. All the hints I found online told me to
>>> edit files that did not exist in pure:dyne. Is there a way to fix this ?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> Miguel Negrão
>>>
>>> ps: why use xfce ? it’s like going back 10 years, for me....
>>> ---
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
>>> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

Miguel Negrao Miguel Negrao

Re: [puredyne] pure:dyne on macbook pro

That solved the issue, thanks.

Miguel

ps: is there no copy paste in the terminal ?

A 2010/05/05, às 11:55, Miguel Negrao escreveu:

> Thanks, guys, I will try this.
>
> Miguel Negrão
>
> A 2010/05/04, às 23:16, Aymeric Mansoux escreveu:
>
>> Ricardo G. Herdt said :
>>> Hi Miguel!
>>>
>>> take a look at xmodmap (man page), it will do what you want on any
>>> linux machine. Basically you need a .Xmodmap in your ~/ directory with
>>> the commands to do what you want.
>>
>> try this in a terminal:
>>
>> setxkbmap -option lv3:rwin_switch,apple:badmap
>>

>>> I'm no pure:dyne developer, but they for sure have choosen Xfce cause
>>> it has a balance between lightness and usability. I like light window
>>> managers (personally I use dwm), but for newcomers I always show and
>>> install Gnome first, it's really an awesome desktop environment. You
>>> can try installing gnome on pure:dyne, but there is a chance you mess
>>> up with something (careful with pulse audio). But last time I did this
>>> it went well.
>>
>> Yes, Ricardo is correct, XFCE is a good balance between lightness and
>> usability, we do not think Puredyne should be a showcase for desktop
>> eyecandy, but instead provides solid basic to run a stable audio/video
>> environment.
>>
>> Of course, as suggested you can install any other windows manager.
>>
>> a.
>>

>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Ricardo

>>> ---
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
>>> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

Ricardo Gabriel Herdt Ricardo Gabriel Herdt

Re: [puredyne] pure:dyne on macbook pro

Should have, pure:dyne 9.11 came with another terminal, which version
are you using? Try shift + insert to paste. Also, everything you
select with the mouse gets stored and you can paste it with the middle
button.