[puredyne] pure data lists with atoms and symbols question

Julian Brooks Julian Brooks

[puredyne] pure data lists with atoms and symbols question

Happy New Year everyone.

I have a question regarding the most flexible use of lists.

Here's the situation...

I'm writing a piece for the viola d'amore, an unusual 7 stringed viol. A reasonable range for each string is 15 notes per string (not including the open one). My idea is that the instrumentalist will play each note once, randomly, during the duration of the piece.  The visualisation of this will be in a GEM window and will simply be the string number and the note.  This will be alongside some MSD visuals, so the GEMWIN, will, in effect be the score.

So we have, for example, the lowest string as a list including the string number and the note:
1 7_A#, 2 7_B, 3 7_C, 4 7_C# ...etc.  Now this gets further complicated when we reach '11 7_A', as we need to differentiate between the octave on the same string.  This I am planning on doing by using a different colour in the GEMWIN so I will need to send this to a different output.  So the GEM visual will be '7_B' with a different colour depending on the octave. The underscore isn't necessarily necessary but I think '7_B' looks better/is easier to read than '7B'.

I have done something like this before but just with numbers, so with [urn] and [table] and having all the atoms in a textfile.  This is a bit more involved and I'm not sure of the most flexible and/or elegant solution.

All input gratefully received and acknowledged:)

Cheers,

Julian

Tyler Leavitt Tyler Leavitt

Re: [puredyne] pure data lists with atoms and symbols question

You might want to ask the Puredata list since it is more up their alley and the traffic on the list is much more.

That said, why don't you send the MIDI note number instead and seperate them into octave groups with a chain of [moses]'s, then seperate them further with [mod 12] into their letter names.

Would something like this work? If not, attach your patch so I can get a better idea.

Tyler

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 3:58 AM, J bz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Tyler,

Thanks for responding.

I will forward to the pd list now it's up again.

The midinote option is a good idea, and I have thought about something like that for the dummy version I am making with some sound samples the performer has sent me.  Problem with that though is that I want to differentiate between the same note on different strings.  Good clue though.

Cheers,

Jb