[puredyne] perfect machine for puredyne ;)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Damaru Damaru
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[puredyne] perfect machine for puredyne ;)

Hi there, 

I am researching how to built a mini itx machine for art project that I can bring on the road. 

My main needs are for the graphic card to be on board - and I have an extra juli@ card for my audio need. 

I've looked at machine like that :


that boast a GeForce 9300 gpu - that seems to be quite good at graphic - but nvidia and ubuntu seems to be not too easy to get going. Of course what is most important is the opengl part and 3d acceleration. If I need to compile some driver I have no problem with that - as long as it would work. 

The device is set to be used in audio video installation - connecting directly on the video projector and receiving both audio and wireless network (for osc) 

Any of you have experience with Nvidia graphic card ? what would be the best bet for video card (to keep the install simple but also to have the most bang for the buck) 
and is going for a mini-itx just shooting myself in the foot as far as getting the best hardware ? Is there any portable (not macbook or laptop) box out there that would do 
the trick better than building mini itx based machine ? Anyway not in any rush - I will be building that box in the next few months - but wanted to check in with the community if there is anyone who has experienced with the hardware building around puredyne system. 

I am now running a mini itx board with intel chipset and it's going ok for day to day stuff (running pure dyne) but I am reaching it's 3d limit on some processing project andI wish hardware wasn't my bottle neck now ! 

thanks for sharing ! 



---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] perfect machine for puredyne ;)

Hey Geoff,

 

I got one of those cheap dual Atom 330 boards with Nvidia

Runs very well with Carrot and Corriander. Fast graphics,
but my needs are probably more modest.

BTW I don't recommend mini-itx.com, I've had bad
components from them in the past and they would
not replace them.

a.

 

On 08 June 2010 at 21:36 geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am researching how to built a mini itx machine for art project that I can
> bring on the road.
>
> My main needs are for the graphic card to be on board - and I have an extra
> juli@ card for my audio need.
>
> I've looked at machine like that :
>
> http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=52
>
> that boast a GeForce 9300 gpu - that seems to be quite good at graphic - but
> nvidia and ubuntu seems to be not too easy to get going. Of course what is
> most important is the opengl part and 3d acceleration. If I need to compile
> some driver I have no problem with that - as long as it would work.
>
> The device is set to be used in audio video installation - connecting
> directly on the video projector and receiving both audio and wireless
> network (for osc)
>
> Any of you have experience with Nvidia graphic card ? what would be the best
> bet for video card (to keep the install simple but also to have the most
> bang for the buck)
> and is going for a mini-itx just shooting myself in the foot as far as
> getting the best hardware ? Is there any portable (not macbook or laptop)
> box out there that would do
> the trick better than building mini itx based machine ? Anyway not in any
> rush - I will be building that box in the next few months - but wanted to
> check in with the community if there is anyone who has experienced with the
> hardware building around puredyne system.
>
> I am now running a mini itx board with intel chipset and it's going ok for
> day to day stuff (running pure dyne) but I am reaching it's 3d limit on some
> processing project andI wish hardware wasn't my bottle neck now !
>
> thanks for sharing !

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Damaru Damaru
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] perfect machine for puredyne ;)

Hey thanks - that sounds a bit more promising for the Nvidia. 

Any information about 64bit architecture and Nvidia - I read that this was also incompatible ~ but I would assume multimedia process would benefit a lot from the 64bit architecture. 

thanks for the mini-itx info - I tend to use them as a reference and then look for local dealer (since shipping from uk is way too much when living in canada ;) 

light 

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 12:57 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Geoff,

 

I got one of those cheap dual Atom 330 boards with Nvidia

Runs very well with Carrot and Corriander. Fast graphics,
but my needs are probably more modest.

BTW I don't recommend mini-itx.com, I've had bad
components from them in the past and they would
not replace them.

a.

 

On 08 June 2010 at 21:36 geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am researching how to built a mini itx machine for art project that I can
> bring on the road.
>
> My main needs are for the graphic card to be on board - and I have an extra
> juli@ card for my audio need.
>
> I've looked at machine like that :
>
> http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=52
>
> that boast a GeForce 9300 gpu - that seems to be quite good at graphic - but
> nvidia and ubuntu seems to be not too easy to get going. Of course what is
> most important is the opengl part and 3d acceleration. If I need to compile
> some driver I have no problem with that - as long as it would work.
>
> The device is set to be used in audio video installation - connecting
> directly on the video projector and receiving both audio and wireless
> network (for osc)
>
> Any of you have experience with Nvidia graphic card ? what would be the best
> bet for video card (to keep the install simple but also to have the most
> bang for the buck)
> and is going for a mini-itx just shooting myself in the foot as far as
> getting the best hardware ? Is there any portable (not macbook or laptop)
> box out there that would do
> the trick better than building mini itx based machine ? Anyway not in any
> rush - I will be building that box in the next few months - but wanted to
> check in with the community if there is anyone who has experienced with the
> hardware building around puredyne system.
>
> I am now running a mini itx board with intel chipset and it's going ok for
> day to day stuff (running pure dyne) but I am reaching it's 3d limit on some
> processing project andI wish hardware wasn't my bottle neck now !
>
> thanks for sharing !

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne