[puredyne] packages for ipod?

ddw_music ddw_music

[puredyne] packages for ipod?

I was hoping to use a 160GB ipod classic as a music lib and external
storage in puredyne. I'd been told that ubuntu variants should detect
the pod and maybe even mount it automatically. Puredyne 9.10 doesn't -
i.e., if I plug in a fat32-formatted flash drive, I can see /dev/sdb*
but with the ipod, nothing.

ls /dev/sd*

/dev/sda /dev/sda1 /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 /dev/sda4 /dev/sda5 /dev/sda6

I installed the rhythmbox package (supposedly supports ipod) thinking it
might install a dependency that would get the kernel to recognize the
device. No luck.

It's not a hardware or cable problem - I booted into winxp on the same
machine and it's fine.

There must be a driver somewhere... ideas? Google searching was not very
helpful. Some sites just say "install gtkpod" or something but they all
seem to assume the device will actually show up under /dev.

Thanks.
James

--

James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal." -- Whitman

Re: [puredyne] packages for ipod?

If I remember rightly, you can't use a mac-formatted ipod but need a
mac+win-able ipod (meaning fat32). This is remembered from a few years
back so I could easily be wrong, someone please correct me...

Dan

ddw_music ddw_music

On 5/19/10 12:47 PM, Dan S wrote:
> If I remember rightly, you can't use a mac-formatted ipod but need a
> mac+win-able ipod (meaning fat32). This is remembered from a few years
> back so I could easily be wrong, someone please correct me...

It's fat32 now.

So this is funny. I booted winxp, installed itunes, reformatted the pod
as fat32. Then I rebooted back into puredyne, installed rhythmbox and
plugged in the pod. Nothing. Then I suspended the session, had some
pan-fried Chinese dumplings for lunch, came back and plugged the pod in
again - and it works!

 From this, I must conclude that the secret is all in the dumplings.
Homemade preferably - none of that frozen tat.

For the sake of completeness - I also tried my hfs+ USB HD - it mounted
right away. So "cheers" + 1 for good filesystem support in puredyne!

James

ddw_music ddw_music

On 5/19/10 2:20 PM, James Harkins wrote:

> On 5/19/10 12:47 PM, Dan S wrote:
>> If I remember rightly, you can't use a mac-formatted ipod but need a
>> mac+win-able ipod (meaning fat32). This is remembered from a few years
>> back so I could easily be wrong, someone please correct me...
>
> It's fat32 now.
>
> So this is funny. I booted winxp, installed itunes, reformatted the
> pod as fat32. Then I rebooted back into puredyne, installed rhythmbox
> and plugged in the pod. Nothing. Then I suspended the session, had
> some pan-fried Chinese dumplings for lunch, came back and plugged the
> pod in again - and it works!
>
> From this, I must conclude that the secret is all in the dumplings.
> Homemade preferably - none of that frozen tat.

To close the loop on this (for future list-archive searchers):

I couldn't get rhythmbox to recognize the ipod. I ended up installing
exaile from synaptic with its ipod plugin (I also needed to enable the
ipod plug in exaile > preferences > plugins).

It wouldn't play m4a's until I installed gstreamer ffmpeg and gstreamer
good/bad/ugly. After that, Philip Glass's Music in Twelve Parts (part 1)
came streaming out. :)

It's all working now.
James

ddw_music ddw_music

On 5/20/10 3:46 AM, James Harkins wrote:

> On 5/19/10 2:20 PM, James Harkins wrote:
>> So this is funny. I booted winxp, installed itunes, reformatted the
>> pod as fat32. Then I rebooted back into puredyne, installed rhythmbox
>> and plugged in the pod. Nothing. Then I suspended the session, had
>> some pan-fried Chinese dumplings for lunch, came back and plugged the
>> pod in again - and it works!
>>
>> From this, I must conclude that the secret is all in the dumplings.
>> Homemade preferably - none of that frozen tat.
>
> To close the loop on this (for future list-archive searchers):
>
> I couldn't get rhythmbox to recognize the ipod. I ended up installing
> exaile from synaptic with its ipod plugin (I also needed to enable the
> ipod plug in exaile > preferences > plugins).
>
> It wouldn't play m4a's until I installed gstreamer ffmpeg and
> gstreamer good/bad/ugly. After that, Philip Glass's Music in Twelve
> Parts (part 1) came streaming out. :)
>
> It's all working now.

And, re-re-closing the loop -- other advice from an ubuntu forum is that
if the device doesn't show up in /dev, another thing to try is to plug
in the iPod, log out and log back in again while it's plugged in.

I was searching for that yesterday because my system again reverted to
the state where the iPod was ignored. Rebooting the pd machine didn't
help; neither did rebooting the iPod. I found by chance that rebooting
the computer while the iPod was plugged in did work -- then found the
forum postings suggesting that a logout/login could have the same effect.

For future reference (unfortunately I've no time to contribute an iPod
reference page to the p:d manual).
James