[puredyne] [ot] mail client recommendations?

ddw_music ddw_music

[puredyne] [ot] mail client recommendations?

Not audio related, but I'll probably get better advice here than
anywhere else.

Just wondering which mail clients you use? I spent too much time today
fighting with Evolution and Thunderbird.

Evolution's queuing of server requests is atrocious. One big message
when the Internet connection is not really speedy hijacks the whole app
and you can't look at anything else until it's done. Totally unusable.

Thunderbird's online/off-line settings don't do exactly what I want. I
want to download the headers first and then have the client persist the
mail content after I read the message. That's because I don't want to
wait for hours while the client insists on downloading all 10,000
messages in my gmail box, and I also want to be able to use the messages
if I happen not to be online (if I written previously).

Plus fonts in Thunderbird are hell. E.g., I set my compose-mail font to
small size. Then when I replied to an HTML message, the size appeared in
the menu as xx-large. That's amateur-hour stuff, totally crazy that they
expect to be competitive with nonsense like that.

At this point, I don't want to install any other packages until I have a
better idea what it can actually do for me, and I trust you folks better
than Web searches.

Thanks!
James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

Re: [puredyne] [ot] mail client recommendations?

the only 2 email client I really enjoyed in the past was pine (alpine) and gmail with keyboad shortcut... (you can setup pine for pop3 which work ok and save file locally)

never found any x client on linux that I enjoy and I agree with you for evolution and thunderbird

I used claws mail for a while and it was kind of ok, minimal enough but wasn't enough of a appeal for me.

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 6:44 AM, James Harkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Antonios Galanopoulos Antonios Galanopoulos

Re: [puredyne] [ot] mail client recommendations?

Hey just a quick one

Many people here use mutt. Mutt with offlineimap is a very good
combination. Dont know if what you are after is a command line app
though. It definately worth the effort setting it up.

take care

James Harkins said :

> Not audio related, but I'll probably get better advice here than
> anywhere else.
>
> Just wondering which mail clients you use? I spent too much time
> today fighting with Evolution and Thunderbird.
>
> Evolution's queuing of server requests is atrocious. One big message
> when the Internet connection is not really speedy hijacks the whole
> app and you can't look at anything else until it's done. Totally
> unusable.
>
> Thunderbird's online/off-line settings don't do exactly what I want.
> I want to download the headers first and then have the client
> persist the mail content after I read the message. That's because I
> don't want to wait for hours while the client insists on downloading
> all 10,000 messages in my gmail box, and I also want to be able to
> use the messages if I happen not to be online (if I written
> previously).
>
> Plus fonts in Thunderbird are hell. E.g., I set my compose-mail font
> to small size. Then when I replied to an HTML message, the size
> appeared in the menu as xx-large. That's amateur-hour stuff, totally
> crazy that they expect to be competitive with nonsense like that.
>
> At this point, I don't want to install any other packages until I
> have a better idea what it can actually do for me, and I trust you
> folks better than Web searches.
>
> Thanks!
> James
>
> --
> James Harkins /// dewdrop world
> [hidden email]
> http://www.dewdrop-world.net
>
> "Come said the Muse,
> Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
> Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman
>
> blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
> audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
> more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks

|'`'.           .''.            ..
|-----`.----.'------- '------------.

http://agagag.goto10.org

ddw_music ddw_music

On 11/18/2010 02:22 AM, geoffroy tremblay wrote:
> the only 2 email client I really enjoyed in the past was pine (alpine)
> and gmail with keyboad shortcut... (you can setup pine for pop3 which
> work ok and save file locally)
>
> never found any x client on linux that I enjoy and I agree with you
> for evolution and thunderbird

I was enjoying gmail+keyboard, but I also want offline storage.

T-bird seems the least objectionable for now. I might try one of the
emacs mail-client modes :)  EmacsWiki says Wanderlust has good IMAP
support + offline storage. Later, when I have time for a non-simple
setup process...

James

nescivi nescivi

On Wednesday 17 November 2010 14:44:25 James Harkins wrote:

> Not audio related, but I'll probably get better advice here than
> anywhere else.
>
> Just wondering which mail clients you use? I spent too much time today
> fighting with Evolution and Thunderbird.
>
> Evolution's queuing of server requests is atrocious. One big message
> when the Internet connection is not really speedy hijacks the whole app
> and you can't look at anything else until it's done. Totally unusable.
>
> Thunderbird's online/off-line settings don't do exactly what I want. I
> want to download the headers first and then have the client persist the
> mail content after I read the message. That's because I don't want to
> wait for hours while the client insists on downloading all 10,000
> messages in my gmail box, and I also want to be able to use the messages
> if I happen not to be online (if I written previously).
>
> Plus fonts in Thunderbird are hell. E.g., I set my compose-mail font to
> small size. Then when I replied to an HTML message, the size appeared in
> the menu as xx-large. That's amateur-hour stuff, totally crazy that they
> expect to be competitive with nonsense like that.
>
> At this point, I don't want to install any other packages until I have a
> better idea what it can actually do for me, and I trust you folks better
> than Web searches.

I'm pretty happy with KMail.

sincerely,
Marije

Bernardo Barros Bernardo Barros

Re: [puredyne] [ot] mail client recommendations?

I like KMail, but here it is slower then ThunderBird. It's just me?

James Harkins said :
> Not audio related, but I'll probably get better advice here than
> anywhere else.
>
> Just wondering which mail clients you use? I spent too much time
> today fighting with Evolution and Thunderbird.

mutt + offlineimap + archivemail

nescivi nescivi

On Tuesday 23 November 2010 14:05:26 Bernardo Barros wrote:
> I like KMail, but here it is slower then ThunderBird. It's just me?

haven't used Thunderbird enough to know about a speed comparison.
I was missing some features in Thunderbird though.

sincerely,
marije

ddw_music ddw_music

On Tuesday 23 November 2010 19:36:57 nescivi wrote:
> I'm pretty happy with KMail.

OK, trying it now. I was looking at wanderlust for emacs (if only for the
perverse amusement of doing Yet Another Thing In Emacs That Shouldn't
Be Possible To Do) but it's choking on my big mailbox, keeps saving drafts
to the imap server on just about every keystroke and sending a message
produces an error. It looked like a cool idea, but who needs that?

On my machine, it's faster than TBird by a long shot.

I'm still tempted to fiddle with wanderlust for the geek cred...

James

ddw_music ddw_music

On Tuesday 23 November 2010 23:10:50 James Harkins wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 November 2010 19:36:57 nescivi wrote:
> > I'm pretty happy with KMail.
>
> OK, trying it now.

Feature set seems rich, except:

- help doesn't launch (*another* package to download I guess);

- if it supports offline imap, the option is VERY well hidden. Google is not
helping either. KMail downloads a message when moving to it in the
message list, even if I was looking at that message only 10 seconds ago!
As crappy as TBird is, even without downloading message contents, it
would cache messages to speed up moving around in the folder.

Offline access is the sole reason I'm looking at clients anyway. If I didn't
need it, I'd keep using gmail web access.

Back to wanderlust...?
James

ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] [ot] mail client recommendations?

> I'm still tempted to fiddle with wanderlust for the geek cred...

After KMail crashed this morning, I had another go at configuring wanderlust and... so far, I think it's exactly what I'm looking for. It seems to handle message caching exactly the way I hoped -- download message contents on demand, and keep them on disk locally. (At least, I quit Emacs, relaunched and reloaded my inbox, and a previously-read message displayed immediately, with no network access.)

The wl issues I mentioned last night -- there is a variable to configure the draft autosave behavior -- default is 1 second, which I found disruptive. Set to nil now, and it's fine. Sending messages works after upgrading wl to be compatible with the installed version of FLIM.

So I'll try this for a few days more. So far, I find it just about as responsive as the gmail web interface (neither Thunderbird nor kmail could match it).

James

Re: [puredyne] [ot] mail client recommendations?

all that talk reminded me of the good old time of using alpine, and
looking on the web for few minutes I realized how simple it was to
setup alpine with my gmail account. It's quite  breeze and really
sweet how I can connect to all my account right there.

mutt has always interested me but I always blocked at the
installation, not of mutt, but of the getmail, then the berkley db ...
never got too far in there. It made me wonder why does puredyne
doesn't have a solid consol client for the email ? I think it could be
great to have mutt there by default (whit all the backend stuff)? Or
at least some better solution than evolution that doesn't really make
any sense to me.

just some ideas

geoffroy tremblay said :
> mutt has always interested me but I always blocked at the
> installation, not of mutt, but of the getmail, then the berkley db ...
> never got too far in there.

using mutt is much more easy than this.
You can point it directly to your remote IMAP folders and use the
built-in SMTP client to send your mails. To edit the mails, mutt will
call your fav editor (vim, emacs, whatever). Done.

You can have a more comfortable setup with offlineimap which is a python
app that will fetch and keep in sync a local copy of your IMAP folders.

The idea with mutt is that you can both use it in a minimal way with a
lot of built-in features, or as part of your own work-flow, pretty much
in the unix philosophy, hence using it only for reading the mails and
have other software to handle other parts of the process.

It can also be configured extensively with macro, etc.

Been using mutt for years, could not find anything better.

That said, there is something on my TODO that has been lying around for
a while, http://sup.rubyforge.org/ I want to try this one at some point,
it could be a mutt-killer (if any existing mutt user on this list tries
it, please let us know!).

> It made me wonder why does puredyne
> doesn't have a solid consol client for the email ? I think it could be
> great to have mutt there by default (whit all the backend stuff)? Or
> at least some better solution than evolution that doesn't really make
> any sense to me.

Well ... the problem with a mail client is that there are too many
choices and it is tricky to suggest a default one. For newbies I would
recommend thunderbird because it seems to be quite simple, unfortunately
it is getting very bloated as the rest of the mozilla. FOr lighter setup
or more advanced users, Claws mail (formely known as sylpheed-claws) is
a good choice. Maybe that's the one that should be shipped with Puredyne
next to mutt as it will run better on modest setups...?