[puredyne] news from pixelache sprint

Hi everyone,

Some of the Puredyne and the Fluxus dev are gathering in Helsinki for
a three days long Puredyne sprint right now!

I thought it could be nice to drop a line and tell you what we're
planning to do in the coming two days and what we've done so far...

Until now we've been discussing on some mid-term and long-term Puredyne
development and more precisely how to introduce users story based HOWTOs
in the wikibook to give some insight and inspiration regarding how some
of us are using the system to perform, make installations, teach, etc..

Meanwhile we said goodbye to our old Trac, which relevant content will
be slowly migrated to the wikibook. For the rest we're happy with the
minimal Puredyne site, launchpad platform and this list/forum combo.

Right now we are working on a small bug fix release (Puredyne 9.11) and
right after we will focus on porting/updating packages to lucid for
Puredyne 10.04 Gazpacho :)

Next to that, we are trying to fine tune our live script generator which
in some cases is not working quite as expected... I'm quite sure we'll
fix that.

Last but not least, some work will be done to provide a better
multilanguage support, more information on that later... And of course
we're adding some new software in the live distro.

If you want to join the effort, here is how you can help:

 * as a user:
     - test Puredyne 9.10 and report bugs here:
       join https://launchpad.net/~puredyne-community
       fill bugs https://bugs.launchpad.net/puredyne
     - tell us what is missing in Puredyne, what you would like to see
       added, etc
     - help fill the documentation, it's getting somewhere, but we still
       miss some stuff :)
       http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Puredyne

  * as PPA owner and package maintainer
     - we could use some extra help to maintain some of the packages in
       the Puredyne PPA and we're missing quite a few!

  * as a coder
     - we would be happy to get feedback on both broth and bouilloncube
       project (shell script)
     - we are still planning to provide some GUI for some of the scripts
       above (python)

  * as someone with supernatural power
     - we could do with someone like that in the team, join now :)

Drop by irc://irc.goto10.org/#puredyne and say hi!

enrike enrike

Re: [puredyne] news from pixelache sprint

>    * as a coder
>       - we would be happy to get feedback on both broth and bouilloncube
>         project (shell script)
>       - we are still planning to provide some GUI for some of the scripts
>         above (python)

i could help with the python bit. i have worked with WxPython in the past

>    * as someone with supernatural power
>       - we could do with someone like that in the team, join now :)

i can see through walls, would that help?

altern said :

> >   * as a coder
> >      - we would be happy to get feedback on both broth and bouilloncube
> >        project (shell script)
> >      - we are still planning to provide some GUI for some of the scripts
> >        above (python)
>
> i could help with the python bit. i have worked with WxPython in the past

Hey Enrike,

Yes it would be helpful, although I thought about using PyGTK, but am I
correct to think that WxPython also uses GTK on Linux?

Another thing to consider would be to check if WxPython is already on
the CD, which I doubt (I might be wrong!), and I'm pretty sure PyGTK is
already there, so it would be better in terms of minimizing
dependencies.

Regarding the GUI needs, from the top of my head:
 - something to control the USB creator script
 - something to set the locales: we need an alternative to language
   selector, it is doing too much, we just want to change LC_ALL and
tell users to restart XFCE when done.
 - something to help create a persitence partition, file, snapshot.

We can probably help on the lower level operations but none of us are
familiar with GTK and integration into XFCE (it would be nice to have
such tools in the XFCE admin panel for example)

I would say the most important now would be this language/locales
selector as we are still fiddling around the other scripts and there
might be quite some changes....

What do you think?

> >   * as someone with supernatural power
> >      - we could do with someone like that in the team, join now :)
>
> i can see through walls, would that help?

I think so :)

a.

> enrike

enrike enrike

Re: [puredyne] news from pixelache sprint

ar., 2010.eko marren 23a 10:38(e)an, Aymeric Mansoux(e)k idatzi zuen:

> altern said :
>>
>>>    * as a coder
>>>       - we would be happy to get feedback on both broth and bouilloncube
>>>         project (shell script)
>>>       - we are still planning to provide some GUI for some of the scripts
>>>         above (python)
>>
>> i could help with the python bit. i have worked with WxPython in the past
>
> Hey Enrike,
>
> Yes it would be helpful, although I thought about using PyGTK, but am I
> correct to think that WxPython also uses GTK on Linux?

better stick to pygtk. dont worry all those GUI libraries are pretty
much the same idea. and i dont think the GUIs we will be creating will
be too complex or special so any of them would be perfect.

> Another thing to consider would be to check if WxPython is already on
> the CD, which I doubt (I might be wrong!), and I'm pretty sure PyGTK is
> already there, so it would be better in terms of minimizing
> dependencies.
>
> Regarding the GUI needs, from the top of my head:
>   - something to control the USB creator script
>   - something to set the locales: we need an alternative to language
>     selector, it is doing too much, we just want to change LC_ALL and
> tell users to restart XFCE when done.
>   - something to help create a persitence partition, file, snapshot.
>
> We can probably help on the lower level operations but none of us are
> familiar with GTK and integration into XFCE (it would be nice to have
> such tools in the XFCE admin panel for example)

do you have scripts to do all that already? could you send me them, i
have the makeusb.sh. I would like to have a look.

i dont know about integrating with XFCE either. but it might not be too
complex. ii guess it is a matter of asking and digging some forums

> I would say the most important now would be this language/locales
> selector as we are still fiddling around the other scripts and there
> might be quite some changes....
>
> What do you think?

send me the script you would use to do this. i can then check with
parameters it takes and try to see what type of widgets it might require.

i cannot promise anything, next two months promise to be pretty crazy
for me, but this might be fun to do.

>>>    * as someone with supernatural power
>>>       - we could do with someone like that in the team, join now :)
>>
>> i can see through walls, would that help?
>
> I think so :)

thats what i thought! ;)

altern said :
> >I would say the most important now would be this language/locales
> >selector as we are still fiddling around the other scripts and there
> >might be quite some changes....
> >
> >What do you think?
>
> send me the script you would use to do this. i can then check with
> parameters it takes and try to see what type of widgets it might
> require.

The GUI for locales should do that:
 - list what are the installed locales
 - allow the user to select one (with pwetty flags)
 - set the new locale for this user
 - prompt for restarting xfce4 to have the changes applied

optionnaly:
 - install new locales, any from the /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED list
   and refresh the installed locales list.

I can probably write a bunch of Python functions that do that, and then
you could try to make the GUI for it?

enrike enrike

Re: [puredyne] news from pixelache sprint

>> send me the script you would use to do this. i can then check with
>> parameters it takes and try to see what type of widgets it might
>> require.
>
> The GUI for locales should do that:
>   - list what are the installed locales
>   - allow the user to select one (with pwetty flags)
>   - set the new locale for this user
>   - prompt for restarting xfce4 to have the changes applied
>
> optionnaly:
>   - install new locales, any from the /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED list
>     and refresh the installed locales list.
>
> I can probably write a bunch of Python functions that do that, and then
> you could try to make the GUI for it?

ok!

enrike enrike

Re: [puredyne] news from pixelache sprint

az., 2010.eko marren 24a 19:36(e)an, Aymeric Mansoux(e)k idatzi zuen:

> altern said :
>>> I would say the most important now would be this language/locales
>>> selector as we are still fiddling around the other scripts and there
>>> might be quite some changes....
>>>
>>> What do you think?
>>
>> send me the script you would use to do this. i can then check with
>> parameters it takes and try to see what type of widgets it might
>> require.
>
> The GUI for locales should do that:
>   - list what are the installed locales
>   - allow the user to select one (with pwetty flags)
>   - set the new locale for this user
>   - prompt for restarting xfce4 to have the changes applied
>
> optionnaly:
>   - install new locales, any from the /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED list
>     and refresh the installed locales list.
>
> I can probably write a bunch of Python functions that do that, and then
> you could try to make the GUI for it?

i have been researching. you might know already but...

set locale this can be done from python

import locale
locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, 'de_DE')

but i dont see how to get a list with the installed locales

interfacing with shell commands can be done this way

import os
stdout_handle = os.popen("ls /home/r2d2", "r")
text = stdout_handle.read()
print text

2010/3/25 altern <[hidden email]>:

> az., 2010.eko marren 24a 19:36(e)an, Aymeric Mansoux(e)k idatzi zuen:

>>> send me the script you would use to do this. i can then check with
>>> parameters it takes and try to see what type of widgets it might
>>> require.
>>
>> The GUI for locales should do that:
>>  - list what are the installed locales
>>  - allow the user to select one (with pwetty flags)
>>  - set the new locale for this user
>>  - prompt for restarting xfce4 to have the changes applied
>>
>> optionnaly:
>>  - install new locales, any from the /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED list
>>    and refresh the installed locales list.
>>
>> I can probably write a bunch of Python functions that do that, and then
>> you could try to make the GUI for it?
>
> i have been researching. you might know already but...
>
> set locale this can be done from python
>
> import locale
> locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, 'de_DE')
>
> but i dont see how to get a list with the installed locales

list the contents of /usr/lib/locale perhaps?

Dan

Dan S said :
> > import locale
> > locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, 'de_DE')

oh nice.
Did not know about this one.

> > but i dont see how to get a list with the installed locales
>
> list the contents of /usr/lib/locale perhaps?

yup, or catch the output of
locale -a

> > interfacing with shell commands can be done this way
> >
> > import os
> > stdout_handle = os.popen("ls /home/r2d2", "r")
> > text = stdout_handle.read()
> > print text

yes that was the idea originally to set $LANG

altern said :

> az., 2010.eko marren 24a 19:36(e)an, Aymeric Mansoux(e)k idatzi zuen:

> >>send me the script you would use to do this. i can then check with
> >>parameters it takes and try to see what type of widgets it might
> >>require.
> >
> >The GUI for locales should do that:
> >  - list what are the installed locales
> >  - allow the user to select one (with pwetty flags)
> >  - set the new locale for this user
> >  - prompt for restarting xfce4 to have the changes applied
> >
> >optionnaly:
> >  - install new locales, any from the /usr/share/i18n/SUPPORTED list
> >    and refresh the installed locales list.
> >
> >I can probably write a bunch of Python functions that do that, and then
> >you could try to make the GUI for it?
>
> i have been researching. you might know already but...
>
> set locale this can be done from python
>
> import locale
> locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, 'de_DE')

I just quickly browsed through the Python doc for this module, and it
seems to me that this just to be used by an application to change which
locale it should used
 - C if not set
 - system default if called with locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL,'')
 - custom if called with locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL,'blabla')

So unless I miss the point, or read too fast, this is not setting the
system default locale, which is what we want here :)

Meaning we probably have to set and store $LANG for the users that will
run this tool.

enrike enrike

Re: [puredyne] news from pixelache sprint

>> set locale this can be done from python
>>
>> import locale
>> locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, 'de_DE')
>
> I just quickly browsed through the Python doc for this module, and it
> seems to me that this just to be used by an application to change which
> locale it should used
>   - C if not set
>   - system default if called with locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL,'')
>   - custom if called with locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL,'blabla')
>
> So unless I miss the point, or read too fast, this is not setting the
> system default locale, which is what we want here :)
>
> Meaning we probably have to set and store $LANG for the users that will
> run this tool.

yes i realised earlier today about this. So we will need to mix shell
commands with python commands when we find they help. I think in the
case of getting the installed locales it does, does it?

import os
os.listdir('/usr/lib/locale')

 >>> ['en_GB.utf8', 'de_DE.utf8', 'es_ES.utf8', 'eu_ES.utf8',
'ru_RU.utf8', 'locale-archive', 'fr_FR.utf8', 'en_US.utf8']

but the python output is different than the shell command output, python
only reads the .utf8 items

% locale -a
de_DE.iso885915
de_DE.utf8
en_GB.utf8
en_US.utf8
es_ES.iso885915
es_ES.utf8
eu_ES.iso885915
eu_ES.utf8
eu_FR.iso885915
fr_FR.iso885915
fr_FR.utf8
it_IT.iso885915
POSIX
pt_BR.iso885915
ru_RU.koi8r
ru_RU.utf8
sl_SI.iso885915

i dont know very well, as you probably noticed, all this locale stuff so
if i say something stupid just tell me ;) i will try not to...

altern said :

> >>set locale this can be done from python
> >>
> >>import locale
> >>locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL, 'de_DE')
> >
> >I just quickly browsed through the Python doc for this module, and it
> >seems to me that this just to be used by an application to change which
> >locale it should used
> >  - C if not set
> >  - system default if called with locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL,'')
> >  - custom if called with locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL,'blabla')
> >
> >So unless I miss the point, or read too fast, this is not setting the
> >system default locale, which is what we want here :)
> >
> >Meaning we probably have to set and store $LANG for the users that will
> >run this tool.
>
> yes i realised earlier today about this. So we will need to mix
> shell commands with python commands when we find they help. I think
> in the case of getting the installed locales it does, does it?
>
> import os
> os.listdir('/usr/lib/locale')

> 'ru_RU.utf8', 'locale-archive', 'fr_FR.utf8', 'en_US.utf8']
>
> but the python output is different than the shell command output,
> python only reads the .utf8 items
>
> % locale -a
> de_DE.iso885915
> de_DE.utf8
> en_GB.utf8
> en_US.utf8
> es_ES.iso885915
> es_ES.utf8
> eu_ES.iso885915
> eu_ES.utf8
> eu_FR.iso885915
> fr_FR.iso885915
> fr_FR.utf8
> it_IT.iso885915
> POSIX
> pt_BR.iso885915
> ru_RU.koi8r
> ru_RU.utf8
> sl_SI.iso885915
>
> i dont know very well, as you probably noticed, all this locale
> stuff so if i say something stupid just tell me ;) i will try not
> to...

This is correct :)
I'm also puzzled by this difference.
On my system both methods works correctly

['fr_FR.utf8', 'fr_CH.utf8', 'fr_LU.utf8', 'fr_CA.utf8', 'fr_BE.utf8',
'en_US.utf8']

locale -a

en_US.utf8
fr_BE.utf8
fr_CA.utf8
fr_CH.utf8
fr_FR.utf8
fr_LU.utf8
POSIX

We can ignore C and POSIX in the selector.

Not sure why your results are not different..
try to sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales ?

enrike enrike

Re: [puredyne] news from pixelache sprint

or., 2010.eko marren 26a 10:23(e)an, Aymeric Mansoux(e)k idatzi zuen:

>>> I just quickly browsed through the Python doc for this module, and it
>>> seems to me that this just to be used by an application to change which
>>> locale it should used
>>>   - C if not set
>>>   - system default if called with locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL,'')
>>>   - custom if called with locale.setlocale(locale.LC_ALL,'blabla')
>>>
>>> So unless I miss the point, or read too fast, this is not setting the
>>> system default locale, which is what we want here :)
>>>
>>> Meaning we probably have to set and store $LANG for the users that will
>>> run this tool.
>>
>> yes i realised earlier today about this. So we will need to mix
>> shell commands with python commands when we find they help. I think
>> in the case of getting the installed locales it does, does it?
>>
>> import os
>> os.listdir('/usr/lib/locale')

>> 'ru_RU.utf8', 'locale-archive', 'fr_FR.utf8', 'en_US.utf8']
>>
>> but the python output is different than the shell command output,
>> python only reads the .utf8 items
>>
>> % locale -a
>> de_DE.iso885915
>> de_DE.utf8
>> en_GB.utf8
>> en_US.utf8
>> es_ES.iso885915
>> es_ES.utf8
>> eu_ES.iso885915
>> eu_ES.utf8
>> eu_FR.iso885915
>> fr_FR.iso885915
>> fr_FR.utf8
>> it_IT.iso885915
>> POSIX
>> pt_BR.iso885915
>> ru_RU.koi8r
>> ru_RU.utf8
>> sl_SI.iso885915
>>
>> i dont know very well, as you probably noticed, all this locale
>> stuff so if i say something stupid just tell me ;) i will try not
>> to...
>
> This is correct :)
> I'm also puzzled by this difference.
> On my system both methods works correctly
>
> ['fr_FR.utf8', 'fr_CH.utf8', 'fr_LU.utf8', 'fr_CA.utf8', 'fr_BE.utf8',
> 'en_US.utf8']
>
> locale -a

> en_US.utf8
> fr_BE.utf8
> fr_CA.utf8
> fr_CH.utf8
> fr_FR.utf8
> fr_LU.utf8
> POSIX
>
> We can ignore C and POSIX in the selector.

better use the python one because it returns a python list. we should
try to do as much as possible with pyton but it will be mostly stuff
like this related to files, folders, permission and so on. the rest
should be done with shell commands

> Not sure why your results are not different..
> try to sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales ?

not that i remember. maybe because i installed the system in basque it
did something weird? otherwise you know i am specialist in screwing
linux systems :)

[puredyne] locales config GUI (was Re: news from pixelache sprint)

altern said :

> >On my system both methods works correctly
> >
> >['fr_FR.utf8', 'fr_CH.utf8', 'fr_LU.utf8', 'fr_CA.utf8', 'fr_BE.utf8',
> >'en_US.utf8']
> >
> >locale -a

> >en_US.utf8
> >fr_BE.utf8
> >fr_CA.utf8
> >fr_CH.utf8
> >fr_FR.utf8
> >fr_LU.utf8
> >POSIX
> >
> >We can ignore C and POSIX in the selector.
>
> better use the python one because it returns a python list. we
> should try to do as much as possible with pyton but it will be
> mostly stuff like this related to files, folders, permission and so
> on. the rest should be done with shell commands

agreed.

> >Not sure why your results are not different..
> >try to sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales ?
>
> not that i remember. maybe because i installed the system in basque
> it did something weird? otherwise you know i am specialist in
> screwing linux systems :)

true... :)

but what I meant is that you try to run sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
now and see if you still have those differences.

enrike enrike

Re: [puredyne] locales config GUI (was Re: news from pixelache sprint)

 >> Not sure why your results are not different..

>>> try to sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales ?
>>
>> not that i remember. maybe because i installed the system in basque
>> it did something weird? otherwise you know i am specialist in
>> screwing linux systems :)
>
> true... :)
>
> but what I meant is that you try to run sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
> now and see if you still have those differences.

same ...

%  sudo dpkg-reconfigure locales
Generating locales...
   de_DE.UTF-8... done
   en_GB.UTF-8... done
   en_US.UTF-8... done
   es_ES.UTF-8... done
   eu_ES.UTF-8... up-to-date
   fr_FR.UTF-8... done
   ru_RU.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.
% locale -a
de_DE.iso885915
de_DE.utf8
en_GB.utf8
en_US.utf8
es_ES.iso885915
es_ES.utf8
eu_ES.iso885915
eu_ES.utf8
eu_FR.iso885915
fr_FR.iso885915
fr_FR.utf8
it_IT.iso885915
POSIX
pt_BR.iso885915
ru_RU.koi8r
ru_RU.utf8
sl_SI.iso885915
% python
Python 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Dec  7 2009, 18:45:15)
[GCC 4.4.1] on linux2