[puredyne] monitor switching off continously

felix nicolás nicanor felix nicolás nicanor

[puredyne] monitor switching off continously

Hi List,
A problem (or more than one) has been showing in my system which causes I do not understand.
Some days before my screen light started to change values automatically, with no function_key+F7 action. I tried to find info about that behaviour with no luck. I also had that behaviour with xubuntu in a MSI netbook, but thought it was a hardware problem, as Xubuntu din not gave me any problem like that in my laptop. Yesterday I was in puredata and something was happening: I had no audio in jack control. I noticed that I had no audio icon in my bar and no power management icon neither, so I restarted the machine hoping that the problem was a strange not completed system start. After it restarted and after a while with the same problem, my monitor switched off with no reason. I didn't understood what was happening and I did a forced switch-off (pressing the on-off button for 5 seconds). When it started again some strange lines appeared in the shell as it was loading the system, and the light went off again even without been loaded the Puredyne GUI.

This time I tried the laptop's rubber button used to tell the system that the laptop screen is closed (screen folded over the keyboard) and when I stopped pressing it the light went on again, but just for some seconds.
Everything else works, or seems to work. I was writing you this mail in blindness, as my monitor is black until I press the rubber button. If I wanted to see what I was doing I had to press it constantly.
When doing so I thought about the relationship between the power management icon and the monitor light. Intuitively I unplugged the laptop from it's energy source and, voilà, the problem seemed to be solved. But after some seconds, again, it switched off the screen light again. As a final test I dimmed down the screen light to it's minimun and now that's how it is now: unplugged, with the minimun screen light, it remains on.
Is there a recognized bug showing this behaviour?
Thankyou,
Felix

ege ege

Re: [puredyne] monitor switching off continously

As i can see that you make a mess. if you now your terminal good try to login and fix mount problems. If you got a windows format disk may this cause problems.
check : mount -t vfat -o umask=000 /dev/sda1 /media/disk
An anther choose is to set again the puredyne distro. What was the last thins you change into your pc? check /etc/X11 xorg.conf
What is your video card? is it nvidia maybe ? Check your problem on ubuntu forum cause puredyne is debian compatible distro. cheers there.

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 6:29 PM, felix nicanor <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Piece Love Unity_Eugene

Piece_Love_Unity
egelor.tumblr.com
felix nicolás nicanor felix nicolás nicanor

Re: [puredyne] monitor switching off continously

Hi Eugene, I'm sorry I couldn't answer before but my machine refuses
to turn on the monitor (I am on my girl's netbook now).
I am not a command line guy, in fact that's what I am trying to change
right now, reading a book on the subject, but I have only tried some
basic commands not involving any change in system files and I am
pretty sure the problem did not start there.
I have a Puredyne only installment, but my external backup drive is in
NFTS format. Could that be the mounting problem? If it was not that it
could have been the hard reset I was forced to do, I guess. As soon as
I have the chance I will follow your advice.
Also, as the monitor hazaard has been a fast but gradually advancing
problem and seems related to the internal clock and power settings, I
thought it might be a hardware problem and I will check on monday if a
motherboard battery change modifies something.
Thankyou a lot for your reply. I will tell you -and the list- any further news.
Best,
Felix

2011/10/26, Eugene Tryfonides <[hidden email]>:

> As i can see that you make a mess. if you now your terminal good try to
> login and fix mount problems. If you got a windows format disk may this
> cause problems.
> check : mount -t vfat -o umask=000 /dev/sda1 /media/disk
> An anther choose is to set again the puredyne distro. What was the last
> thins you change into your pc? check /etc/X11 xorg.conf
> What is your video card? is it nvidia maybe ? Check your problem on ubuntu
> forum cause puredyne is debian compatible distro. cheers there.
>
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 6:29 PM, felix nicanor
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> **
>> Hi List,
>> A problem (or more than one) has been showing in my system which causes I
>> do not understand.
>> Some days before my screen light started to change values automatically,
>> with no function_key+F7 action. I tried to find info about that behaviour
>> with no luck. I also had that behaviour with xubuntu in a MSI netbook, but
>> thought it was a hardware problem, as Xubuntu din not gave me any problem
>> like that in my laptop. Yesterday I was in puredata and something was
>> happening: I had no audio in jack control. I noticed that I had no audio
>> icon in my bar and no power management icon neither, so I restarted the
>> machine hoping that the problem was a strange not completed system start.
>> After it restarted and after a while with the same problem, my monitor
>> switched off with no reason. I didn't understood what was happening and I
>> did a forced switch-off (pressing the on-off button for 5 seconds). When
>> it
>> started again some strange lines appeared in the shell as it was loading
>> the
>> system, and the light went off again even without been loaded the Puredyne
>> GUI.
>>

>> This time I tried the laptop's rubber button used to tell the system that
>> the laptop screen is closed (screen folded over the keyboard) and when I
>> stopped pressing it the light went on again, but just for some seconds.
>> Everything else works, or seems to work. I was writing you this mail in
>> blindness, as my monitor is black until I press the rubber button. If I
>> wanted to see what I was doing I had to press it constantly.
>> When doing so I thought about the relationship between the power
>> management
>> icon and the monitor light. Intuitively I unplugged the laptop from it's
>> energy source and, voilà, the problem seemed to be solved. But after some
>> seconds, again, it switched off the screen light again. As a final test I
>> dimmed down the screen light to it's minimun and now that's how it is now:
>> unplugged, with the minimun screen light, it remains on.
>> Is there a recognized bug showing this behaviour?
>> Thankyou,
>> Felix

> Piece Love Unity_Eugene

ege ege

Re: [puredyne] monitor switching off continously

Hello again, yes you got right it maybe the internal clock but not only that you need to specify where the problem is.  The best you can do for this list is to try to specify the problem or perhaps sent the error msg that you take at start up before the black screen. Cause i got this problem too many times but if is the battery then you ll see at the screen before terned black internal clock error check your bios or something like that.. Anyway hope you fix it soon.

Piece Love Unity_Eugene

Piece_Love_Unity
egelor.tumblr.com