Quantcast

[puredyne] mixbus on puredyne?

terrabite terrabite

[puredyne] mixbus on puredyne?

Hi,

I'm just wondering, would it be anyhow complex to install Harrison's mixbus on a mchine running puredyne? Has anybody done it yet an can share impressions?

Thanks
Jurgen
Tyler Leavitt Tyler Leavitt

Re: [puredyne] mixbus on puredyne?

On the website it says it works on Linux with JACK so it should work with pure:dyne.

Don't have the $80 to try it out though =(, if you have it and need install instructions: http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/Mixbus_Install_QuickStart.pdf

The website only lists JACK support and a working sound card configuration to work... so if you can start up JACK and get audio you should be fine.

Tyler

jm jones jm jones

2011/2/12 Tyler Leavitt <[hidden email]>:

> On the website it says it works on Linux with JACK so it should work with
> pure:dyne.
> Don't have the $80 to try it out though =(, if you have it and need install
> instructions: http://www.harrisonconsoles.com/mixbus/Mixbus_Install_QuickStart.pdf
> The website only lists JACK support and a working sound card configuration
> to work... so if you can start up JACK and get audio you should be fine.
> Tyler
>
> On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 1:52 AM, jurgen <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm just wondering, would it be anyhow complex to install Harrison's
>> mixbus on a mchine running puredyne? Has anybody done it yet an can share
>> impressions?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Jurgen

As Tyler saids, it will install without problems. Its a Linux package.

--
Juan Manuel Jones
terrabite terrabite

Re: [puredyne] mixbus on puredyne?

thanks a lot for your comments - once I have the 80 bucks I sure will give it a try.

Jurgen

On 13-Feb-2011, at 8:00 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> mixbus on puredyne?

padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk

[puredyne] Latest MacOS situation for C development

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone can tell me the exact situation regarding PureDyne
on iOS at the moment, as the archives and my own experiences are
patchy, obsolete info in this rapidly changing area.

Is it possible, to make a faultless and easily used live C development
environment using PureDyne?

I have 20 students all with MacOS Snow Leopard and need to create
USB keys for a C programming course. There is no way they are going
to install and register a 1GB X-Code "developer pack" to do a few first
semester C exercises. So I need a simple bootable stick I can issue.

It needs a persistent live mount so I can apt-get gcc and a bunch
of libraries like portaudio, jack, SDl and so on, and also so that
the students can save their work between sessions.

Thoughts greatly appreciated,
thanks & best 2 all,
Andy

--
Andy Farnell <[hidden email]>

Re: [puredyne] Latest MacOS situation for C development

I'm too busy to be detailed, so sorry, but: newish mac machines plus
live USB boot of puredyne has been a total pain for me recently.
"Faultless"? No. We're trying to improve this but we mostly don't use
macs so we can't prioritise it at all.

Dan

2011/9/2 Andy Farnell <[hidden email]>:

> Hi all,
>
> Wondering if anyone can tell me the exact situation regarding PureDyne
> on iOS at the moment, as the archives and my own experiences are
> patchy, obsolete info in this rapidly changing area.
>
> Is it possible, to make a faultless and easily used live C development
> environment using PureDyne?
>
> I have 20 students all with MacOS Snow Leopard and need to create
> USB keys for a C programming course. There is no way they are going
> to install and register a 1GB X-Code "developer pack" to do a few first
> semester C exercises. So I need a simple bootable stick I can issue.
>
> It needs a persistent live mount so I can apt-get gcc and a bunch
> of libraries like portaudio, jack, SDl and so on, and also so that
> the students can save their work between sessions.
>
> Thoughts greatly appreciated,
> thanks & best 2 all,
> Andy
>

> --
> Andy Farnell <[hidden email]>

padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk

Re: [puredyne] Latest MacOS situation for C development

Thanks for the heads up Dan.

Knowing what not to try is a big time saver.

I'll explore some other alternatives like creating

an old fashioned terminal server.

If anyone else has experience with teaching

C with Macs but avoiding X-code feel welcome to

mail me off-list (or on if relevant to share).

cheers,

Andy

On 02 September 2011 at 09:22 Dan S <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm too busy to be detailed, so sorry, but: newish mac machines plus
> live USB boot of puredyne has been a total pain for me recently.
> "Faultless"? No. We're trying to improve this but we mostly don't use
> macs so we can't prioritise it at all.
>
> Dan
>

> 2011/9/2 Andy Farnell <[hidden email]>:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Wondering if anyone can tell me the exact situation regarding PureDyne
> > on iOS at the moment, as the archives and my own experiences are
> > patchy, obsolete info in this rapidly changing area.
> >
> > Is it possible, to make a faultless and easily used live C development
> > environment using PureDyne?
> >
> > I have 20 students all with MacOS Snow Leopard and need to create
> > USB keys for a C programming course. There is no way they are going
> > to install and register a 1GB X-Code "developer pack" to do a few first
> > semester C exercises. So I need a simple bootable stick I can issue.
> >
> > It needs a persistent live mount so I can apt-get gcc and a bunch
> > of libraries like portaudio, jack, SDl and so on, and also so that
> > the students can save their work between sessions.
> >
> > Thoughts greatly appreciated,
> > thanks & best 2 all,
> > Andy
> >

> > --
> > Andy Farnell <[hidden email]>
> > ---
> > [hidden email]
> > http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> > irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
> >

> --
> http://www.mcld.co.uk

Gunner Carstens Gunner Carstens

Re: [puredyne] Latest MacOS situation for C development

Mabe you could use this ?
Mabe you could find smth here:
http://shells.red-pill.eu/
ml
gunner

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 10:43 AM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the heads up Dan.
>

> Knowing what not to try is a big time saver.
>

> I'll explore some other alternatives like creating
>
> an old fashioned terminal server.
>

> If anyone else has experience with teaching
>
> C with Macs but avoiding X-code feel welcome to
>
> mail me off-list (or on if relevant to share).
>

> cheers,
>

> Andy
>

> On 02 September 2011 at 09:22 Dan S <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'm too busy to be detailed, so sorry, but: newish mac machines plus
>> live USB boot of puredyne has been a total pain for me recently.
>> "Faultless"? No. We're trying to improve this but we mostly don't use
>> macs so we can't prioritise it at all.
>>
>> Dan
>>

>> 2011/9/2 Andy Farnell <[hidden email]>:
>> >
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Wondering if anyone can tell me the exact situation regarding PureDyne
>> > on iOS at the moment, as the archives and my own experiences are
>> > patchy, obsolete info in this rapidly changing area.
>> >
>> > Is it possible, to make a faultless and easily used live C development
>> > environment using PureDyne?
>> >
>> > I have 20 students all with MacOS Snow Leopard and need to create
>> > USB keys for a C programming course. There is no way they are going
>> > to install and register a 1GB X-Code "developer pack" to do a few first
>> > semester C exercises. So I need a simple bootable stick I can issue.
>> >
>> > It needs a persistent live mount so I can apt-get gcc and a bunch
>> > of libraries like portaudio, jack, SDl and so on, and also so that
>> > the students can save their work between sessions.
>> >
>> > Thoughts greatly appreciated,
>> > thanks & best 2 all,
>> > Andy
>> >

>> > --
>> > Andy Farnell <[hidden email]>
>> > ---
>> > [hidden email]
>> > http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
>> > irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>> >

>> --
>> http://www.mcld.co.uk

Re: [puredyne] Latest MacOS situation for C development

I've had luck with Intel Macs as long as you don't rely on USB to boot.  It seems that EFI support is not a priority for the Debian Live crew at the moment.

But I was able to boot a Puredyne CD and have it recognize a live-rw partition on a USB stick for persistence.

I don't know if this helps, but I recently found this based on Debian-Live:

http://grml.org/features/

Designed for sysadmins and users of text tools.  A quick look thru the packages looks like it includes gcc, jack, and some portaudio and sdl libraries.  If the Mactel's can boot it from CD, and you include a usb stick with an ext2 filesystem named live-rw, you should have a persistent system to work with.

Does this help?

-grant

On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 8:11 AM, Gunner Carstens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mabe you could use this ?
Mabe you could find smth here:
http://shells.red-
see ya, -C