[puredyne] low volume

jm jones jm jones

[puredyne] low volume

Hi, I have a problem with the sound. The volume is lower than in
windows (same machine). I have pulseaudio running trough Jack all the
time.

--
JM Jones

pakazite sudchai pakazite sudchai

Doug Edmunds Doug Edmunds

Re: [puredyne] low volume

I have puredyne on a USB stick.  Volume depends on what is in the chain.

If I connect Jack - QSynth - VMPK, I have three places where volume
is controlled.  QSynth: Master gain knob; VMPK (virtual keyboard):
Velocity knob;  and Puredyne:  xfc4-mixer (on the bottom toolbar)
volume slider.

If any one of them is set low, the sound coming through VMPK is low.

-- dae

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 6:09 AM, pakazite sudchai <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I had the same problem before when I use Puredyne in the first time. Like
> Tremblay said, run alsamixer  in terminal or open gnome-alsamixer and try
> maximizing something like Front, Wave, CD. Hope this helps.
>
> Pakazite
>
> On 23 September 2010 09:07, geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> you try to adjust alsamixer in the console ? (sorry if that is too simple
>> - not sure what is your technical level)
>>

>> On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 10:53 AM, jm jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi, I have a problem with the sound. The volume is lower than in
>>> windows (same machine). I have pulseaudio running trough Jack all the
>>> time.
>>>
>>> --
>>> JM Jones
>>>
>>> ---
>>> [hidden email]
>>> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
>>> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

jm jones jm jones

Re: [puredyne] low volume

2010/9/22 geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]>:
> you try to adjust alsamixer in the console ? (sorry if that is too simple -
> not sure what is your technical level)

No, I didn't try alsamixer : ) That was the problem. The funny thing
is that Im a veteran Linux user (10 years), but I forgot alsamixer.
This is not so cool for newbies i guess

--
Juan Manuel Jones

Re: [puredyne] low volume

there's a live distro called Musix that has all of these scripts which help a new user get started with linux audio.  when as it finishes booting, it pops up a little music player which you should hear sound coming from and tells you if you don't to check certain things (i can't remember what, perhaps alsamixer).  It also has scripts to, for example: Start Rosegarden + Jack + and Qynth which loads up all three applications, connects them, and has an example file you can play to demonstrate the interaction of software.

i know Pure:dyne isn't made specifically for doing music, but it might be nice to have at least one 'TRY ME' type of script that sort of steps through the process of getting audio out of pure:dyne.  I would be willing to work on something.  i don't know a ton about scripting but i've written a bash script or two... i don't know anything about zsh though.

grant centauri said :
> i know Pure:dyne isn't made specifically for doing music,

Well... it kind of started as a music distro for rt audio :)

> but it might be nice to have at least one 'TRY ME' type of script that
> sort of steps through the process of getting audio out of pure:dyne.

sudo su
cat /dev/mem > /dev/dsp

That used to be played for 6.66 sec as Puredyne intro sound a few years
ago. We forgot to put it back when we moved to Debian, and later Ubuntu.
It is also a good test to see if your soundcard is up running (next to
being the most beautiful sound in the world).

> I would be willing to work on something.

Cool.
If you want to make a test script for test audio (for example), one way
would be to script these steps:
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Speaker-test

And add some amixer commands to make sure the main and PCM channels are
not muted or too low (maybe some other chans and switched must be turned
on).

What other ideas did you have in mind?

> i don't know a ton about
> scripting but i've written a bash script or two... i don't know
> anything about zsh though.

It's just another shell system, which just like bash comes with unique
features. The best is to make POSIX shell scripts so they can work on
most shells out there. Do not worry too much about that for now
though... You can start with a bash script and it can be cleaned later
on to remove bashisms (http://mywiki.wooledge.org/Bashism)