[puredyne] kind of OT ... graphics card

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
enrike enrike
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[puredyne] kind of OT ... graphics card

hi all

sorry to ask the same question that has been asked thousand times ...
but I need to buy a desktop machine and I am wondering which graphics
card to get. I saw in the ATI website that the HD5xxx series has linux
drivers, but not the HD6xxx. Anyone has any experience? I am reading
thousands of threads about this... it is difficult to get a clear picure.

I am not sure about Nvidia it has been ages since I had a Nvidia card. I
plan to get an ASUS motherboard, I always had very good experiences with
them.

many thanks

enrike
---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Damaru Damaru
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] kind of OT ... graphics card

I am not too sure about ati - I know that nvidia works well with linux
in general and have a good opengl support.

I am also building myself a desktop (yet portable) computer - with a
small size factor -
I bought http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-geforce-gf9300-g-e-itx-wifi-lga-775-mini-itx-intel-motherboard.html
that has an integrated gpu - with also an extra slot if later I need
more power. This little beast will be mounted
with a 2.6ghz quad core (probably overclocked to 3ghz) with 4gb ram
(can host up to 8gb ram). I've read good review
about the zotac and linux compatibility, and I should receive the
board shortly so I'll let people know about puredyne on it.

just some idea for your next machine.

On Sun, Jan 16, 2011 at 3:06 PM, enrike <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi all
>
> sorry to ask the same question that has been asked thousand times ... but I
> need to buy a desktop machine and I am wondering which graphics card to get.
> I saw in the ATI website that the HD5xxx series has linux drivers, but not
> the HD6xxx. Anyone has any experience? I am reading thousands of threads
> about this... it is difficult to get a clear picure.
>
> I am not sure about Nvidia it has been ages since I had a Nvidia card. I
> plan to get an ASUS motherboard, I always had very good experiences with
> them.
>
> many thanks
>
> enrike
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>
---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
enrike enrike
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] kind of OT ... graphics card

On al., 2011.eko urtren 17a 17:09, geoffroy tremblay wrote:
> I am not too sure about ati - I know that nvidia works well with linux
> in general and have a good opengl support.

yep, thats what I am reading everywhere. I am just concerned with the
card being useless after Nvidia stops supporting it if there is no free
driver for it. But I am not sure if this is the case.

> I am also building myself a desktop (yet portable) computer - with a
> small size factor -
> I bought http://www.zotacusa.com/zotac-geforce-gf9300-g-e-itx-wifi-lga-775-mini-itx-intel-motherboard.html
> that has an integrated gpu - with also an extra slot if later I need
> more power. This little beast will be mounted
> with a 2.6ghz quad core (probably overclocked to 3ghz) with 4gb ram
> (can host up to 8gb ram). I've read good review
> about the zotac and linux compatibility, and I should receive the
> board shortly so I'll let people know about puredyne on it.
>
> just some idea for your next machine.

interesting. for me size is not a problem because I will have it under
my desk. I am thinking on a AMD processor, not sure if Athlon or the new
one the phenom. about the motherboard I still havent checked about
compatibility of ASUS motherboards with Linux, so I have not idea yet of
possible issues I might have. Hopefully none :) fingers crossed

thanks
---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne