[puredyne] keyboard layout woes... cont'd

ddw_music ddw_music

[puredyne] keyboard layout woes... cont'd

I had my keyboard layout working under liveUSB, using a startup script. Now I've installed 9.10 using the ubuntu process and it seems that the script isn't taking effect. It runs (as proven by the 'echo') but when I open any app, it's still using the standard us keyboard (not what I want).

echo "ran kbmap\n" >>test.txt
setxkbmap us dvorak-classic

Here's the desktop entry.

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Version=0.9.4
Type=Application
Name=Set Keyboard
Comment=
Exec=/home/ddw1970/.setkeyboard.sh
StartupNotify=false
Terminal=false
Hidden=false

I also tried sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup. Now I get the keyboard I want at the login screen (to enter my password) but the session itself uses the wrong keyboard!

I'm puzzled. Where else is the keyboard layout configured in ubuntu?

(Oh, I did try Settings > Keyboard -- it takes effect for the session but does not persist. I need it to persist.)

How do I fix it?

Thanks.
James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

Re: [puredyne] keyboard layout woes... cont'd

James Harkins said :

> I had my keyboard layout working under liveUSB, using a startup script. Now
> I've installed 9.10 using the ubuntu process and it seems that the script
> isn't taking effect. It runs (as proven by the 'echo') but when I open any
> app, it's still using the standard us keyboard (not what I want).
>
> echo "ran kbmap\n" >>test.txt
> setxkbmap us dvorak-classic
>
> Here's the desktop entry.
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Version=0.9.4
> Type=Application
> Name=Set Keyboard
> Comment=
> Exec=/home/ddw1970/.setkeyboard.sh
> StartupNotify=false
> Terminal=false
> Hidden=false
>
> I also tried sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup. Now I get the keyboard I
> want at the login screen (to enter my password) but the session itself uses
> the wrong keyboard!
>
> I'm puzzled. Where else is the keyboard layout configured in ubuntu?
>
> (Oh, I did try Settings > Keyboard -- it takes effect for the session but
> does *not* persist. I need it to persist.)

sounds like a misconfigured or buggy GDM...

Would be good to try to startxfce4 from a console and not from GDM to
see if it remembers your keyboard settings.

If yes, then you should investigate how GDM handles keyboard settings
when it starts a session.

Keyboard layouts can be set and stored pretty much everywhere...

a.