[puredyne] installing openoffice?

ddw_music ddw_music

[puredyne] installing openoffice?

So I downloaded the debian package from openoffice.org and (after some digging) found a command in their pdf installation guide:

sudo dpkg -i -force-overwrite openoffice.org*.deb desktop-integration/openoffice.org-debian-menus*.deb

And it says (drum roll please):

zsh: no matches found: openoffice.org*.deb

Sorry if it's not appropriate to ask here. But, a lot of web pages about installing it are ubuntu-specific and don't necessarily translate easily to the different guis in p:d (or lack of guis, for some things).

I'm still not used to linux package systems yet. There is something to be said for downloading a file, double-clicking it and having stuff happen to install the software from there :)  Or at least, being able to find installation instructions on line that, you know, work.

James

: H. James Harkins
.::!:.:.......:.::........:..!.::.::...:..:...:.:.:.:..:

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

team why team why

Re: [puredyne] installing openoffice?

hi james

if you do
sudo apt-get install synaptic
you will get synaptic package manager in your system menu and from there you will get all the different coloured software of the rainbow. just mark for install and apply.

ash

On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 1:19 PM, James Harkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ricardo Gabriel Herdt Ricardo Gabriel Herdt

Re: [puredyne] installing openoffice?

       Hi James. Cool to have another SC guru among the Linux users. I hope you'll enjoy it.

       Yes, like already mentioned, you should always use the package available on the repositories of your distro, they are already patched (if needed) and tested to work perfectly with your system. If you, however, need a newer version and download a deb package, you can either install by double-clicking it (you need thatfor gdebi, don't know if it comes pre-installed with pure:dyne) or simply issuing the command dpkg -i <name of package> . But if that's not the case, you can install openoffice either through synaptic, or typing ' apt-get install openoffice.org ' (make sure to always update your repo list before installing something, simply click on 'Reload' in Synaptic or enter ' apt-get update ' in a terminal).

          Ricardo G. H.

Re: [puredyne] installing openoffice?

The other replies are correct (IMO) - openoffice is available directly
from ubuntu repositories (using synaptic GUI, or apt-get CLI, for
example) so that's better than downloading a .deb manually.

But that's not what caused your error:

> zsh: no matches found: openoffice.org*.deb

This is nothing to do with the complexities of installing software.
This simply says the file isn't found. You presumably were expecting a
file matching openoffice.org*.deb in your current working directory?
There wasn't one.

Dan

2010/4/15 James Harkins <[hidden email]>:

> So I downloaded the debian package from openoffice.org and (after some
> digging) found a command in their pdf installation guide:
> sudo dpkg -i -force-overwrite openoffice.org*.deb
> desktop-integration/openoffice.org-debian-menus*.deb
> And it says (drum roll please):
> zsh: no matches found: openoffice.org*.deb
> Sorry if it's not appropriate to ask here. But, a lot of web pages about
> installing it are ubuntu-specific and don't necessarily translate easily to
> the different guis in p:d (or lack of guis, for some things).
> I'm still not used to linux package systems yet. There is something to be
> said for downloading a file, double-clicking it and having stuff happen to
> install the software from there :)  Or at least, being able to find
> installation instructions on line that, you know, work.
> James
>
> : H. James Harkins
> : [hidden email]
> : http://www.dewdrop-world.net
> .::!:.:.......:.::........:..!.::.::...:..:...:.:.:.:..:
> "Come said the Muse,
> Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
> Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk

Re: [puredyne] installing openoffice?

That looks like a reply from the shell
telling you it didn't match the filename.

That star looks funny.

Are you sure that should be there?

Re-check the filename of the .deb package
you downloaded.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 23:19:57 -0400
James Harkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I downloaded the debian package from openoffice.org and (after
> some digging) found a command in their pdf installation guide:
>
> sudo dpkg -i -force-overwrite openoffice.org*.deb desktop-integration/
> openoffice.org-debian-menus*.deb
>
> And it says (drum roll please):
>
> zsh: no matches found: openoffice.org*.deb
>
> Sorry if it's not appropriate to ask here. But, a lot of web pages
> about installing it are ubuntu-specific and don't necessarily
> translate easily to the different guis in p:d (or lack of guis, for
> some things).
>
> I'm still not used to linux package systems yet. There is something
> to be said for downloading a file, double-clicking it and having
> stuff happen to install the software from there :)  Or at least,
> being able to find installation instructions on line that, you know,
> work.
>
> James
>

> : H. James Harkins
> : [hidden email]
> : http://www.dewdrop-world.net
>
> "Come said the Muse,
> Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
> Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

Sent from my 3 (http://three.co.uk) mobile broadband
   Third world internet for a first world economy.
* 20 bytes/second * 99% packet loss  * 60 second latency
 All for only £20/month (Odious and predatory terms apply)