[puredyne] how to turn USB drve into non-persistent mode

Lukasz Jastrzebski Lukasz Jastrzebski

[puredyne] how to turn USB drve into non-persistent mode

Hi!

I have such a silly question.
I did USB via make-live-device.sh and it is all OK.
But I'm also quite fine with the system booting up every time in the
untouched state. Its even worse - I'd rather be using it this way
every time, eventually I will brew my own script to save or load only
the things I really want.
And here is the catch: usually what I would do is to boot from DVD. In
my oldschool laptop there is no optical drive.
I thought it would be wise to ask you, dear list, before I screw up
all the things and have to reinstall.
Is there any simple, failproof way of  disabling the persistence
feature of p:d? Maybe doing something really odd, like shrinking the
persistence partition to the smallest size possible is an option? Any
ideas? Clues?

Cheers,
Luke

zeraxeal zeraxeal

Re: [puredyne] how to turn USB drve into non-persistent mode

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Lukasz Jastrzebski Lukasz Jastrzebski

Re: [puredyne] how to turn USB drve into non-persistent mode

I know this tool well, it should hopefully work, thanks.
Cheers,
Luke

2010/5/30 Jaeic Lee <[hidden email]>:

> Try unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/).
> It should be the same as using a DVD, but only with an ugly boot menu. :P
> On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Lukasz Jastrzebski
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I have such a silly question.
>> I did USB via make-live-device.sh and it is all OK.
>> But I'm also quite fine with the system booting up every time in the
>> untouched state. Its even worse - I'd rather be using it this way
>> every time, eventually I will brew my own script to save or load only
>> the things I really want.
>> And here is the catch: usually what I would do is to boot from DVD. In
>> my oldschool laptop there is no optical drive.
>> I thought it would be wise to ask you, dear list, before I screw up
>> all the things and have to reinstall.
>> Is there any simple, failproof way of  disabling the persistence
>> feature of p:d? Maybe doing something really odd, like shrinking the
>> persistence partition to the smallest size possible is an option? Any
>> ideas? Clues?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Luke

Antonios Galanopoulos Antonios Galanopoulos

Re: [puredyne] how to turn USB drve into non-persistent mode

Or you can change the live-rw label to something else:

tune2fs -L notlive-rw /dev/sdb2

Lukasz Jastrzebski said :

> I know this tool well, it should hopefully work, thanks.
> Cheers,
> Luke
>
> 2010/5/30 Jaeic Lee <[hidden email]>:
> > Try unetbootin (http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/).
> > It should be the same as using a DVD, but only with an ugly boot menu. :P
> > On Sun, May 30, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Lukasz Jastrzebski
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi!
> >>
> >> I have such a silly question.
> >> I did USB via make-live-device.sh and it is all OK.
> >> But I'm also quite fine with the system booting up every time in the
> >> untouched state. Its even worse - I'd rather be using it this way
> >> every time, eventually I will brew my own script to save or load only
> >> the things I really want.
> >> And here is the catch: usually what I would do is to boot from DVD. In
> >> my oldschool laptop there is no optical drive.
> >> I thought it would be wise to ask you, dear list, before I screw up
> >> all the things and have to reinstall.
> >> Is there any simple, failproof way of  disabling the persistence
> >> feature of p:d? Maybe doing something really odd, like shrinking the
> >> persistence partition to the smallest size possible is an option? Any
> >> ideas? Clues?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Luke
> >>
> >> ---
> >> [hidden email]
> >> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> >> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
> >

> > ---
> > [hidden email]
> > http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> > irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

|'`'.           .''.            ..
|-----`.----.'------- '------------.
|       '..'           `.    '
|                        `..'

http://agagag.goto10.org

enrike enrike

Re: [puredyne] how to turn USB drve into non-persistent mode

it does work with the current DVD and CD version, i tested it few weeks ago

ig., 2010.eko mairen 30a 11:06(e)an, Lukasz Jastrzebski(e)k idatzi zuen:

Antonios Galanopoulos said :
> Or you can change the live-rw label to something else:
>
> tune2fs -L notlive-rw /dev/sdb2

As a quick reminder, the partition based pertinence works like this:

 - at boot time, the live scripts are listing the partitions found on
   any storage devices on the system (external and internal).
 - if a partition is found and has the name 'live-rw' you will get
   persistence for the whole system (including messing around /etc)
 - if a partition is found and has the name 'home-rw' you will get
   persistence *only* for '/home'
 - if none of the partition are called like this, then you won't get
   persistence at all, so indeed, as Anton is suggesting, if you rename
the persistence partition of the Puredyne liveUSB key to something else
that the default 'live-rw', then it won't work anymore.

More radical, you can also disable persistence completely, from syslinux
or grub, edit the boot command for Puredyne and remove 'persistence',
then, nothing will get scanned during the boot process.

There also many other ways to use persistence (from disk images, "à la
nest" to using compressed snapshot of a system that can be used to only
remember changes to one single files or any selection of
files/directories) but this not yet documented and fully tested - the
brave ones can always man live-initramfs and read the persistence
section of Debian Live, then test and write about it in the wikibook.

marc garrett marc garrett

Re: [puredyne] how to turn USB drve into non-persistent mode

Thanks Aymeric,

I'm actually going through this process at the moment, your comments
help a great deal :-)

marc