[puredyne] how to stop jackd

Stefan Thomas-2 Stefan Thomas-2

[puredyne] how to stop jackd

Dear community,
although I know how to make a connection to my edirol Fa66 soundcard via jackd, I don't know how to disconnect it.
Does someone know the solution?

davebritton davebritton

Re: [puredyne] how to stop jackd

Start qjackctl - it should be in the audio group, labeled JACK Control
with an icon of an audio cable jack. Click on Connect and find the
connection to the soundcard either under the audio or the ALSA tab,
select the soundcard and whatever it is connected to (you can see the
line drawn between the two) which will highlight the word "disconnect"
below the diagram. Click disconnect and it's disconnected.

qjackctl is your friend, but he's like the weird friend you had who you
couldn't understand at first. The main qjackctrl panel has buttons for
Patchbay and Connect. Patchbay is useful because (among other things)
you can tell it to make a new patchbay definition that is a snapshot of
the actual current client connections. This tells you what components
jack is seeing in your system. The Connect button brings up a gui in
which you can actually crossconnect the components that jack is showing
in the patchbay. This is confusing until you get used to it. There are
three tabs: audio, midi and alsa. The audio tab shows the hardware
connections that can be made directly to and from the soundcard, like a
softsynth or Supercollider that wants to send audio to be played
directly on the hardware. The ALSA tab show the more interesting
connections that you might want among your various synth, software and
daw components. The left-hand side box labeled "Output" has the virtual
plugs that have stuff coming out of them; the right hand box has the
virtual plugs that you can send inputs into. So, connect the outputs to
the inputs as desired, as if with virtual cables, and jack will make it
happen. Disconnect them and jack will unplug the virtual cable.

-Dave

On Sun, 2010-06-27 at 12:33 +0200, Stefan Thomas wrote:
> Dear community,
> although I know how to make a connection to my edirol Fa66 soundcard
> via jackd, I don't know how to disconnect it.
> Does someone know the solution?

davebritton davebritton

Re: [puredyne] how to stop jackd

Also, the brute force method to stop jackd entirely is to open a
terminal and enter
> killall jackd
then
> ps -A | grep jack
to make sure you killed it. If it is still around (i.e. shows up in the
ps output), try
> sudo kill -9 <processID>
where processID is the number on the left side of the ps command's
output.
-Dave

Desperate times call for desperate measures. Or is it disparate
measures? And how many beats in these measures, anyway?