[puredyne] how to convince non-jack apps to use jack?

ddw_music ddw_music

[puredyne] how to convince non-jack apps to use jack?

Specifically, Skype but it applies to other things too -- streaming
audio in Firefox etc. It's a real drag, especially if I have to
collaborate online. If I'm running supercollider server (which is
Jack-only), I can't do VoIP thru Skype at the same time. Grrrrrr....

I found a forum post online suggesting to create a ~/.asoundrc file
which I presume is supposed to tell ALSA to pass connection requests
through to Jack. But, after creating this and rebooting, Skype still
says "audio playback error" when I call the "test call" account.

Should I put this in /etc/asound.conf instead? Or is this type of
configuration not supported?

(The Skype forum has gone totally unresponsive on this topic - so I'm
asking here b/c it's a safe bet that some users here are smarter about
linux audio than the Skype people.)

Thanks,
James

# http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=99709
pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave { pcm "jack" }
}

pcm.jack {
   type jack
   playback_ports {
     0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
     1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
   }
   capture_ports {
     0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
     1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
   }
}

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk

Re: [puredyne] how to convince non-jack apps to use jack?

Hi James,

I recently got this working on my Ubuntu Lucid desktop.

At the moment I a nowhere near that machine so cannot
recall the exact settings. It involved PulseAudio and
making something like a Pulse<->Jack bridge. It
works well, finally the kind of linux audio capabilities
I dreamed of for years... patching Firefox playing
a YouTube vidio into Audacity and so on.

At present you need to write a launch script

to set it up each time you log in, and alter

the Jack config.

Its not PureDyne specific, but maybe this is

enough of a clue for you to research a possible

solution.

Ralf Jung Ralf Jung

Re: [puredyne] how to convince non-jack apps to use jack?

Hi,

I'm very interested in how you get pulseaudio and jack working. Maybe if you are near your machine you can look what is necessary.

thank's for your help

ralf

2010/7/7 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>

Hi James,

I recently got this working on my Ubuntu Lucid desktop.

At the moment I a nowhere near that machine so cannot
recall the exact settings. It involved PulseAudio and
making something like a Pulse<->Jack bridge. It
works well, finally the kind of linux audio capabilities
I dreamed of for years... patching Firefox playing
a YouTube vidio into Audacity and so on.

At present you need to write a launch script

to set it up each time you log in, and alter

the Jack config.

Its not PureDyne specific, but maybe this is

enough of a clue for you to research a possible

solution.

On 07 July 2010 at 08:29 James Harkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Specifically, Skype but it applies to other things too -- streaming
> audio in Firefox etc. It's a real drag, especially if I have to
> collaborate online. If I'm running supercollider server (which is
> Jack-only), I can't do VoIP thru Skype at the same time. Grrrrrr....
>
> I found a forum post online suggesting to create a ~/.asoundrc file
> which I presume is supposed to tell ALSA to pass connection requests
> through to Jack. But, after creating this and rebooting, Skype still
> says "audio playback error" when I call the "test call" account.
>
> Should I put this in /etc/asound.conf instead? Or is this type of
> configuration not supported?
>
> (The Skype forum has gone totally unresponsive on this topic - so I'm
> asking here b/c it's a safe bet that some users here are smarter about
> linux audio than the Skype people.)
>
> Thanks,
> James
>

> # http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=99709
> pcm.!default {
>    type plug
>    slave { pcm "jack" }
> }
>
> pcm.jack {
>    type jack
>    playback_ports {
>      0 alsa_pcm:playback_1
>      1 alsa_pcm:playback_2
>    }
>    capture_ports {
>      0 alsa_pcm:capture_1
>      1 alsa_pcm:capture_2
>    }
> }
>
> --
> James Harkins /// dewdrop world
> [hidden email]
> http://www.dewdrop-world.net
>
> "Come said the Muse,
> Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
> Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

Bernardo Barros Bernardo Barros

Re: [puredyne] how to convince non-jack apps to use jack?

Yeah... I'm new to linux audio world but this thing with jack and pulseaudio is really confusing.
at least with kde wm you have an option to switch off pulseaudio.

The semi-solution is to force pulseaudio to go through jack, that is possible but it is reported to be buggie.

There is this guy who made a ubuntu based distro that managed to make this work (from his site [<a href="http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/]">http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/]):

> For Audio, users will love to know that Jack2 in present and that *all* audio output is send to Jack. This includes Pulse-Audio, which means that you don't have to stop Jack if you need to, for example, open a Web Browser to watch some tutorial videos.

http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=44&Itemid=12

BUT:
Known issues

PulseAudio will randomly crash when ran on a real-ttime kernel.
KXStudio users can install the "kxstudio-kernel-lowlatency" meta-package for the kernel v2.6.32 with preempt+lowlatency config;
Then when the computer [re]boots, hold Shift key after the BIOS splash, but before GRUB loads.

PulseAudio will crash when Jack is stopped, which is kind of expected anyway. :)