Quantcast

[puredyne] firewire audio interfaces and puredyne

terrabite terrabite

[puredyne] firewire audio interfaces and puredyne

Hi,

I'm observing closely on other lists the discussion about firewire audio interfaces running under Linux. And yet, I'm still confused. The ffado site  lists as "fully supported" only a handful of devices which are ALL retired from the market. Newer devices are not supported or "reported to work" which doesn't inspire me any confidence.

I consider changing, currently I use a RME Multiface I since many years which gives me never ending trouble under WinXP. The drivers constantly get corrupted and they NEVER start i Puredyne or any other Linux distri, I always need to start WinXP first to activate the driver and then restart into  Linux for making in work. When the driver doesn't work (most of the time) I'm stranded under Linux and resort to OS X.

Is there any reliable info about FW audio working (including MIDI) with Puredyne? Alternatively I have thought of buying a Multiface II hoping my problems are due to a hardware issue on my older Multiface I.

As a last alternative there are USB interfaces - however from what I recall USB 2 is not yet running under Linux and USB 1 audio interface are out of the question to me (they never have word clock connections for instance).

I'd be real glad about any link, advice, remark...

Best
Jurgen

Julian Brooks Julian Brooks

Re: [puredyne] firewire audio interfaces and puredyne

Hi Jurgen,

I too am interested in this issue, though unfortunately I have no wisdom to share!

In a recent project I required 4 separate audio outs which meant I couldn't use my trusty old Imic soundcard (usb, stereo, & inexpensive).  I ended up spending several days wrestling with a borrowed Saphire soundcard which is supposed to be fully supported with ffado but turned out be a complete nightmare.  The only results I could get out of it was with a HUUGE audio delay (over 500ms) and this was for a piece where an acoustic input was triggering digital processing, kinda ruining the effect somewhat.

Also depressing to hear that RME gear is also riddled with issues as we generally hear that they are the most Linux friendly devices - well there goes that theory then.

If we can't work with the most recent devices because of driver issues etc (which I'm fine with in theory) then surely one of the usp's of Linux has been the idea that 'redundant' technology can have a new lease of life.  But if that avenue is also closed to us full-time digital audio bods what the hell are we supposed to do here exactly!

Like I said, not much wisdom - more venting than anything else.

It's a serious issue though.

All good wishes,

Julian

On 7 July 2011 11:15, jurgen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

nescivi nescivi

Re: [puredyne] firewire audio interfaces and puredyne

Hiho,

On Thursday 07 July 2011 12:15:10 jurgen wrote:
> I'm observing closely on other lists the discussion about firewire audio
> interfaces running under Linux. And yet, I'm still confused. The ffado
> site  lists as "fully supported" only a handful of devices which are ALL
> retired from the market. Newer devices are not supported or "reported to
> work" which doesn't inspire me any confidence.

AFAIK the list of supported devices keeps growing...
... but with FireWire being phased out, we have to see how long that will
last... and what USB3 and/or ThunderBolt will bring for the Pro Audio market.

> I consider changing, currently I use a RME Multiface I since many years
> which gives me never ending trouble under WinXP. The drivers constantly
> get corrupted and they NEVER start i Puredyne or any other Linux distri, I
> always need to start WinXP first to activate the driver and then restart
> into  Linux for making in work. When the driver doesn't work (most of the
> time) I'm stranded under Linux and resort to OS X.

I've had no problems with the MultiFace... not to that extent at least with
Pure:Dyne.
Occasionally, I do need to call hdsploader manually, but that's about it. I
don't even think I have the RME drivers installed on the Windows partition of
that machine.

> Is there any reliable info about FW audio working (including MIDI) with
> Puredyne? Alternatively I have thought of buying a Multiface II hoping my
> problems are due to a hardware issue on my older Multiface I.

I think I heard a rumour that RME revised their opinion for the FireFace and
that it is now supported by FFADO.
I've also worked with a Presonus (the smaller one, I forget the type number).
The only issue I ran in there was a crappy FireWire chip in my laptop.

> As a last alternative there are USB interfaces - however from what I recall
> USB 2 is not yet running under Linux and USB 1 audio interface are out of
> the question to me (they never have word clock connections for instance).

USB2 has no audio standard, and thus all USB2 audio devices use something
proprietary.
USB1 can only handle a certain amount of channels.

> I'd be real glad about any link, advice, remark...

I don't think the RME MultiFace should be giving you such headaches... maybe
investigate that issue a bit further?

sincerely,
Marije