[puredyne] firefox/flash sound via jack?

crazybilly crazybilly

[puredyne] firefox/flash sound via jack?

Has anybody gotten flash sound working through jack? On a regular basis, I need to flip over and research a song via YouTube. Right now, that means stopping Jack, listening to the video, then turning Jack back on and often restarting or fiddling with whatever jack-friendly programs I had running that freaked out when I turned jack off the first time.

Any thoughts on shaping that up?

--
Peaces,

Jake

Re: [puredyne] firefox/flash sound via jack?

i gave up on solving that a while ago,
one solution might be to use some kind of
youtube downloader and just download the
video you're looking at and listen with
some friendly software.  i don't think
firefox works with jack AFAIK, and flash
is going to be out of the picture.

On 6/4/11, Jake Tolbert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anybody gotten flash sound working through jack? On a regular basis, I
> need to flip over and research a song via YouTube. Right now, that means
> stopping Jack, listening to the video, then turning Jack back on and often
> restarting or fiddling with whatever jack-friendly programs I had running
> that freaked out when I turned jack off the first time.
>
> Any thoughts on shaping that up?
>
> --
> Peaces,
>
> Jake

ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] firefox/flash sound via jack?

At Sat, 4 Jun 2011 21:27:18 -0500,
grant centauri wrote:

> i gave up on solving that a while ago,
> one solution might be to use some kind of
> youtube downloader and just download the
> video you're looking at and listen with
> some friendly software.  i don't think
> firefox works with jack AFAIK, and flash
> is going to be out of the picture.

My solution (in Ubuntu 10.04) is jack2 (aka jack 1.x aka jackdmp) + realtime kernel + the pulse-jack script from falktx's ppa. So the chain is flash (or any other "normal" software that plays audio) --> pulseaudio --> jack --> alsa --> hardware.

I couldn't get this to work well with "normal" jack (which I hate anyway for its "one strike and you're zombified" policy) and jack2 didn't work well with the generic ubuntu kernel. But this has been working VERY well for me for the last 6 mos or so.

hjh

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

jm jones jm jones

2011/6/4 Jake Tolbert <[hidden email]>:

> Has anybody gotten flash sound working through jack? On a regular basis, I
> need to flip over and research a song via YouTube. Right now, that means
> stopping Jack, listening to the video, then turning Jack back on and often
> restarting or fiddling with whatever jack-friendly programs I had running
> that freaked out when I turned jack off the first time.
>
> Any thoughts on shaping that up?
>
> --
> Peaces,
>
> Jake

Pulse-Jack, I dont have the link right now, but with that you can hear
everything trough Jack.

--
Juan Manuel Jones
Bernardo Barros Bernardo Barros

2011/6/4 grant centauri <[hidden email]>:
>  i don't think
> firefox works with jack AFAIK, and flash
> is going to be out of the picture.

I have no problems listening to youtube/flash videos with jack,
without pulseaudio installed in arch.
I'd have to check it again, but I think it's one of alsa-plugins (or
alsa-tools?) that can expose alsa applications as jack clients.
It's a much simpler solution then inserting pulseaudio in between.

Re: [puredyne] firefox/flash sound via jack?

oh nice.  good to know.  i thought it was a lost cause ;)

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Bernardo Barros <[hidden email]> wrote:
2011/6/4 grant centauri <[hidden email]>:
>  i don't think
> firefox works with jack AFAIK, and flash
> is going to be out of the picture.

I have no problems listening to youtube/flash videos with jack,
without pulseaudio installed in arch.
I'd have to check it again, but I think it's one of alsa-plugins (or
alsa-tools?) that can expose alsa applications as jack clients.
It's a much simpler solution then inserting pulseaudio in between.

ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] firefox/flash sound via jack?

At Sun, 5 Jun 2011 00:49:00 -0300,
Bernardo Barros wrote:

> 2011/6/4 grant centauri <[hidden email]>:
> >  i don't think
> > firefox works with jack AFAIK, and flash
> > is going to be out of the picture.
> >

> I have no problems listening to youtube/flash videos with jack,
> without pulseaudio installed in arch.
> I'd have to check it again, but I think it's one of alsa-plugins (or
> alsa-tools?) that can expose alsa applications as jack clients.
> It's a much simpler solution then inserting pulseaudio in between.

This, btw, was not an option for me because I also needed to pipe audio into virtualbox (to run Dragon NaturallySpeaking without it crashing as it would under wine). Virtualbox basically only supports pulseaudio. (At least, I remember getting the very strong impression from their support forum that the developers were only interested in pulseaudio and that other audio backends were, at best, second thoughts and more likely to be buggy and ignored. So pulse was the best way for me to go.) It took a while to set up all the pulse-jack stuff, but now it works seamlessly. And, of course, I have the option of starting up only jack (no pulse) for a live performance.

hjh