[puredyne] couldn't create [knob] in puredata

Tyler Leavitt Tyler Leavitt

[puredyne] couldn't create [knob] in puredata

So I made an external that uses the [knob] object on a non puredyne distro with pd-extended... and now on my puredyne system it can't find [knob]... why is this not included in the dyne and how can I find it / install it?

thanks.
tyler

Jonathan Wilkes Jonathan Wilkes

Re: [puredyne] couldn't create [knob] in puredata

It looks like [knob] is in the footils library which isn't part of pd-extended,
but it's also part of flatspace (which at least in 0.42-5 is included).  Perhaps
flatspace isn't loading by default-- if so, the quickest solution is to try
[flatspace/knob].  If that doesn't work, there is also [moonlib/mknob] which
is similar.

-Jonathan

So I made an external that uses the [knob] object on a non puredyne distro with pd-extended... and now on my puredyne system it can't find [knob]... why is this not included in the dyne and how can I find it / install it?

thanks.
tyler

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

---
Puredyne@...

Re: [puredyne] couldn't create [knob] in puredata

i ran into some trouble trying to use other peoples patches that used externals.  i seem to remember finding the external on the system, but pd didn't have a path to it.  i kept trying to give it one but pd wasn't searching recursively and i ended up copying the external into my own pd directory and telling it to look there.

here's a reply i got from claude earlier when i was asking the same question:

On 21/07/10 13:47, grant centauri wrote:
hello all,

i've been delving into Pure Data a bit, as I was once a Max/MSP user and
feel its time to put that knowledge back to use.

however, i'm having a few issues with getting all of the extras that
seem to be included in the pd package to load in the actual software.
for example, I was trying to run a patch that used freeverb~, and when
trying to load it freeverb~ could not be found.  I located the
freeverb~.pd file in something like
/usr/lib/pd/extras/footils/foo/freeverb~.pd .. so I added that directory
to Pd's search path.  freeverb~ then loaded, however now I had an issue
with plugin~ not existing, specifically plugin~ freeverb3

If you can add to or file new bug reports about missing .pdrc -path and -lib settings (see below) and/or any externals that you would like to see packaged by the Puredyne team, it would really help us to keep track of what needs to be improved.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/puredyne/+filebug

it seems to me like there's a lot of stuff in the pure:dyne distribution
that isn't getting loaded by Pd, and I was wondering if there's a quick
and easy way to get all of the externals and abstractions into Pd's
path.

Pd doesn't make it easy at the moment, unfortunately :(

There is work going on upstream (ie, by Pure-data developers) to make libraries work better, with better ways to build/distribute libraries for Pd and to declare/import libraries that are used by patches, so in the future patches should 'just work' on any system that has the required libraries installed (and if you miss libraries you'll get more useful error messages).  Until that is done, and until old patches get updated to the new standards (whatever they turn out to be), this is a bit of a problem, and one that Puredyne can't really solve on its own.

I tried adding /usr/lib/pd, but that didn't seem to work quite
right.

Right, Pd doesn't search recursively, so you have to add each folder separately.  Moreover, Pd doesn't provide a way to autodetect installed libraries, so when building a live distribution like Puredyne we have to add all those folders into the ~/.pdrc preferences file for Pd, and occasionally we forget to add some.

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~puredyne-team/broth/devel/annotate/head:/stock/chroot_local-includes/etc/skel/.pdrc

should be very similar to what's on the Puredyne 9.11 liveDVD.

I never did write a bug report :/ i've got to get more savvy with how to help out development

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 12:33 AM, Tyler Leavitt <[hidden email]> wrote:
So I made an external that uses the [knob] object on a non puredyne distro with pd-extended... and now on my puredyne system it can't find [knob]... why is this not included in the dyne and how can I find it / install it?

thanks.
tyler

Tyler Leavitt Tyler Leavitt

Re: [puredyne] couldn't create [knob] in puredata

so i checked on the machine that i made the external  on and [knob] is coming from the flatspace lib... i don't have the flatspace lib on this puredyne system, so a few questions.

1) is there a difference between CD and DVD versions of puredata for puredyne (for size reasons maybe)?

2) who packages puredata for puredyne?... i would imagine it would be easiest to just package pd-extended but maybe i'm wrong here.

3) can i just copy the entire lib over from the other system?

4) i remember the adding of libraries to be an issue in the past (no recursize search and all) so I could write a quick script to generate a .pdrc file. in perl. but im looking at the pdrc and was wondering if there is a naming convention i should follow for naming the libs... should i just name the -lib for the folder of -path???

thanks much for the help,
tyler