[puredyne] copy/paste permissions

c.c.c. c.c.c.

[puredyne] copy/paste permissions

This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
jm jones jm jones

Re: [puredyne] copy/paste permissions

You have sudo activated? (ie. you can do other thinghs with sudo?)
if you put only sudo nautilus?

2011/4/11 c.c.c. <[hidden email]>:

> hi, i am new to linux, sorry...
> i need to copy files to SuperCollider folder  usr/share/SuperCollider
> which is file system folder and therefore don't allow me to do this
>
> i tried gksudo nautilus but still i cant change permission to copy paste
> through right click -
> properties-permissions
>
> so how do i do this in Puredyne?

Juan Manuel Jones
c.c.c. c.c.c.

Re: [puredyne] copy/paste permissions

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
ailo ailo

Re: [puredyne] copy/paste permissions

Anything outside of home directory usually needs superuser rights, so
you should do the copying as superuser.
So, never change ownership of the folder. Just copy as superuser.

You can either open nautilus by the way you did: gksudo nautilus
And then copy files while in that session. gksudo opens nautilus in
superuser mode, so you get the power to change any file.

Since you are using the terminal, you might as well use the command cp
(copy).
Just add sudo before the command. Like this:

sudo cp /path/to/your_file /usr/share/SuperCollider/your_file

If it is a directory, do:

sudo cp -r /path/to/your_dir /usr/share/SupreColider/your_dir

On 04/11/2011 08:36 PM, c.c.c. wrote:

> as i said i am new to linux, clueless about many things including sudo
> BUT i found this guide
> http://www.detector-pro.com/2009/05/how-to-enable-copywritedelete.html
> so..
> alt+f2 -  gksudo nautilus -  run, put in my password - go to SuperCollider
> folder, right click - properties - permisisons...
> but as i said this doesnt work for me, i cant change permisisons that way
> all i need is to copy some files  to SuperCollider folder
> usr/share/SuperCollider
> what i am doing wrong here?

ailo
c.c.c. c.c.c.

gusano gusano

On 04/11/2011 10:16 PM, c.c.c. wrote:
> pardon my ignorance...
> but can you please show me how full path, process will look like if
> folder i want to copy is in home/john/KemarHRTF
> and destination folder is usr/share/SuperCollider

I believe that you can also copy yr folder in:

/home/john/share/SuperCollider/Extensions

and it should work.
this is the folder for user extensions, this means that they don't get
erased/overwritten when you remove/reinstall sc

cheers,
_y
ailo ailo

Re: [puredyne] copy/paste permissions

# Before you try copying as superuser, you might want to try things out
a bit, just to get cumfy.

# Open a terminal. You'll see something like:

username@computername:~$

# Simple commands:

ls # shows you what's in that path)
ls -A # shows hidden files)
cd KemarHRTF # you go to this folder
cd /home/john/KemarHRTF # same effect
cd ~/KemarHRTF # Will only work if you are logged in as john
cd ../ # Go back one step (back to home folder in this case)

Now, just to try copying:

mkdir ~/testingfolder # creates this folder
cd ~/testingfolder # We enter that folder
touch this # New command. We create a file named this
cp this that # copies this and names it that
cp ~/testingfolder/this ~/testingfolder/that2 # same effect
cd ../ # go back one folder
cd # just using cd will make you end up in home folder
rm -r testingfolder # removed testingfolder and everything in it

# So, back to your question..
# In this situation you would do (check my spelling):

sudo cp -r /home/john/KemarHRTF /usr/share/SuperCollider/KemarHRTF

# You could also do (if you are logged in as john:

sudo cp -r ~/KemarHRTF  /usr/share/SuperCollider/KemarHRTF

# Or, if you are sure you are in home folder

sudo cp -r KemarHRTF /usr/share/SuperCollider

# You can always use these to find about how to use different commands:

cp --help # works on most commands
man cp # shows a manual for the command, use "q" to exit

On 04/11/2011 10:16 PM, c.c.c. wrote:

> pardon my ignorance...
> but can you please show me how full path, process will look like if
> folder i want to copy is in home/john/KemarHRTF
> and destination folder is usr/share/SuperCollider

ailo
ailo ailo

Re: [puredyne] copy/paste permissions

This sounds like the best thing to do. I don't use SuperCollider, so I
wouldn't know specifics, but usually user files are saved in home folder.

On 04/11/2011 10:28 PM, gusano wrote:

> On 04/11/2011 10:16 PM, c.c.c. wrote:
>> pardon my ignorance...
>> but can you please show me how full path, process will look like if
>> folder i want to copy is in home/john/KemarHRTF
>> and destination folder is usr/share/SuperCollider
>
> I believe that you can also copy yr folder in:
>
> /home/john/share/SuperCollider/Extensions
>
> and it should work.
> this is the folder for user extensions, this means that they don't get
> erased/overwritten when you remove/reinstall sc
>
> cheers,
> _y

ailo
ailo ailo

On 04/11/2011 10:38 PM, ailo wrote:
> # Or, if you are sure you are in home folder
>
> sudo cp -r KemarHRTF /usr/share/SuperCollider

# This should of course be (and I may have made other typos as well):

sudo cp -r KemarHRTF /usr/share/SuperCollider/KemarHRTF

--
ailo
jm jones jm jones

2011/4/11 ailo <[hidden email]>:

> On 04/11/2011 10:38 PM, ailo wrote:
>> # Or, if you are sure you are in home folder
>>
>> sudo cp -r KemarHRTF /usr/share/SuperCollider
>
> # This should of course be (and I may have made other typos as well):
>
> sudo cp -r KemarHRTF /usr/share/SuperCollider/KemarHRTF
>
> --
> ailo

I recommend you to learn a little about these basic commands. But you
can do these things with nautilus, obviously. Sudo is a command that
let you do things that only the root (superuser) can do. As said
before, dont change the permissions of the folder. But learn about
sudo, you will need it in some moment.

--
Juan Manuel Jones
c.c.c. c.c.c.

Re: [puredyne] copy/paste permissions

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
ailo ailo

Re: [puredyne] copy/paste permissions

Sounds to me like you have written something like:

cp myfolder/destination/myfolder

Did you check on the possibility of having the user files in
/home/john/somewhere?
That would be preferable.

But, if you must copy to /usr/share/SuperCollider just copy and paste
this (use the right click on the mouse for the popup menu):

sudo cp -r ~/KemarHRTF /usr/share/SuperCollider/KemarHRTF

That should do it.

On 04/12/2011 12:58 AM, c.c.c. wrote:

> gusano,
> unfortunately, it doesn't work if i put it in the
> home/john/share/SuperCollider/Extensions
>
> ailo,
> if i write sudo cp -r KemarHRTF /usr/share/SuperCollider/KemarHRTF
> after entering password i got
> cp: missing destination file operand after KemarHRTF
> /usr/share/SuperCollider/KemarHRTF
> whats that?

ailo
ddw_music ddw_music

Re: [puredyne] copy/paste permissions

At Mon, 11 Apr 2011 15:58:16 -0700 (PDT),
c.c.c. wrote:

> gusano,
> unfortunately, it doesn't work if i put it in the
> home/john/share/SuperCollider/Extensions

I will repeat what others have said -- it is preferable -- MUCH preferable -- to put the KEMAR files into the USER application support directory, not into the System application support directory. (The extension that you're using might require them to be put in the system location -- in that case, it would be a badly written extension and the author should be notified to fix it.)

Then the next step is to configure SuperCollider to look for those files in the given location.

That isn't a puredyne specific question -- the SuperCollider users mailing list would be better -- but there are enough SuperCollider users here that we can certainly help you with that.

I haven't done anything (yet) with HRTF and I don't recall off the top of my head which SC extension uses them. But, if you could tell us which extension you're trying to set up, then we could help.

> ailo,
> if i write sudo cp -r KemarHRTF /usr/share/SuperCollider/KemarHRTF
> after entering password i got
> cp: missing destination file operand after KemarHRTF
> /usr/share/SuperCollider/KemarHRTF
> whats that?

maybe

sudo cp -r KemarHRTF /usr/share/SuperCollider

... because what you want to do is put the whole directory KemarHRTF into the SuperCollider directory -- so the result files would be e.g. SuperCollider/KemarHRTF/a_file.aiff. I think your command is trying to give you SuperCollider/KemarHRTF/KemarHRTF/a_file.aiff... which will work only if an empty directory SuperCollider/KemarHRTF already exists (I assume it does not).

But anyway, IMO, this is all going down the wrong road.

(Side note... usually you get better help from mailing lists if you provide context about what it is that you're trying to do and give specifics. The question here was "how do I copy files into /usr/share/SuperCollider?" but the REAL question is "how do I configure XYZ extension to work on my machine?" By asking the first question instead of the second, it's probably going to take longer to get you a good answer.)

James

James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

gusano gusano

Re: [puredyne] copy/paste permissions

On 04/12/2011 12:58 AM, c.c.c. wrote:
> gusano,
> unfortunately, it doesn't work if i put it in the
> home/john/share/SuperCollider/Extensions

pure:dyne has an older SuperCollider version where you have to add this
line to your
/home/john/.sclang.cfg file:

+home/john/share/SuperCollider/Extensions

or you can pass the path to Kemar files in your code directly (from
AmbIem/BinAmbi30 help file):

BinAmbi3O.kemarPath_("/home/john/KemarHRTF/");

cheers,
_y
c.c.c. c.c.c.