[puredyne] contributing

i'm assuming the contributions are to broth?

still quite new at this whole world, trying to get my sea legs.

any suggestions for reading up on the process of working within launchpad?

Re: [puredyne] contributing

well i just gave it a go.  i ended up making two revisions because i had forgotten to 'bzr add' the moc configuration file in /etc/skel

please review my changes and let me know if i'm doing things properly.

grant centauri said :
> well i just gave it a go.  i ended up making two revisions because i had
> forgotten to 'bzr add' the moc configuration file in /etc/skel
>
> please review my changes and let me know if i'm doing things properly.

looks good :)

Regarding the bzr thing, usual rul of thumb is:
 - always pull before working back on broth
 - small commit (not necessarily one commit per file change or line, but
   one commit per fix or new feature)
 - only commit working code/modifications.

Re: [puredyne] contributing

  - always pull before working back on broth
 - small commit (not necessarily one commit per file change or line, but
  one commit per fix or new feature)
 - only commit working code/modifications.

makes sense.

so i'd want to make my change, build the iso and test it before pushing commits back to broth?

grant centauri said :

> >   - always pull before working back on broth
> >  - small commit (not necessarily one commit per file change or line, but
> >   one commit per fix or new feature)
> >  - only commit working code/modifications.
> >

> makes sense.
>
> so i'd want to make my change, build the iso and test it before pushing
> commits back to broth?

In theory yes,
but in practice, personally I try to follow this:
- if I just need to add a package file that I'm 100% sure of the name ->
  no
- if I add some config related things -> I might test the config file
  (or sometimes write them even) in a Puredyne running in a virtual
machine to make sure they work fine.
- if I change broth -> yes
- if I make some non trivial hooks -> yes

There are exceptions of course. Sometimes I take some risk to save me
some time in making a new ISOs, and it pays off most of the time, but
even if I commit non fully tested things every now and then on my local
bzr branch, I *always* test the changes of all my local commits before
pushing, so that my possible mistakes do not spread to others next time
they pull.

Re: [puredyne] contributing

grant centauri said :
> oh, and if you have time i'm trying to understand hooks.  i see a few bugs
> like "add sgfxi via hook" and i'm still unsure of how hooks work.  i've been
> trying to dig and get it, but its not clicking yet.  points to resources
> would be good.  i've looked at a couple of the included hooks, but i'm not
> sure what they do, and when they occur, and so on.

hooks are executable shell scripts that are called:
- while the system is being installed from scratch (chroot hooks)
- once the system is installed, packaged and ready to be turned into an
  ISO (binary hooks).

We use hooks for lots of things as you can see in the folders.
The most important for us are the chroot hooks that are executed as root
within the chroot once the base system and the packages (from
packagelists) have been installed.

"add sgfxi via hook" was requested because:
- we need to bundle sgfxi for handling video cards installs
- sgfxi is not packaged and not really worth packaging (it's a script
  regularly updated that also check for its latest version when
executed)
- so we will add it to the system using a hook, that could be as simple
  as:

#!/bin/sh
# sgfxi install hook

wget -O /usr/sbin/sgfxi http://smxi.org/sgfxi
chmod +x /usr/sbin/sgfxi
(untested!)

If you need to test such a hook the best is to already have built
Puredyne copy the hook in the chroot and chroot inside, then try to run
it, if it does what you want, then it is ready to be added.