[puredyne] booting and installing directly from ISO

[puredyne] booting and installing directly from ISO

Hello all,

After having a number of DVDs not boot for me, I have decided to try and figure out how to boot and install directly from an ISO onto a partition of a hard drive, or a USB stick.

I am assuming this is possible, and I think I could have done it with the old version of GRUB.  However, GRUB2 is confusing me and I'm not certain I am going to get this done correctly.  I thought perhaps the outcome of this experiment could be added to the wikibooks, and thought I'd ask for some advice.

I already have multiple linux distros installed on this machine, including the 9.10 CD version of puredyne.  Puredyne was the last thing installed, so I assume I need to edit the GRUB information on its filesystem, as it was the last thing to update the boot process.

Here's where I'm at:

I'm booted in puredyne, I've found that in order to update the GRUB menu I have to add an entry to /etc/grub.d/40_custom and then run update-grub.  I have the 9.11 ISO in my home directory.  I assume if I write the menu entry correctly and update grub, I should be able to boot from the ISO and then use it to install to a hard drive?  (I'm going to be installing to a second hard drive on this machine, and perhaps to a USB stick).  Any help would be great, I do have a guide on how to use GRUB2 but I thought I'd ask here as well.  I'm not quite sure what all needs to be in the grub entry.  Perhaps there's one in the ISO already that could just be altered to fit where things are at?

Thanks,

Grant

Re: [puredyne] booting and installing directly from ISO

I realized i can likely make a live USB with what i've got using the make live device script, so i'm giving that a shot.  But I also got a partial success trying to boot directly from the ISO.  However it seemed to get hung up somewhere, so i'm guessing i'm not passing the correct boot options.

this is what i have in my /etc/grub.d/40_custom file...

menuentry "PureDyne DVD ISO on /dev/sdb6" {
insmod ext2
set root=(hd1,6)
search --fs-uuid --set d3afdd1-045a-490f-b7ba-86c0c2d8c500
loopback loop (hd1,6)/home/gcentauri/Downloads/puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386.iso
linux (loop)/live/vmlinuz boot=live iso-scan/filename=/home/gcentauri/Downloads/puredyne-911-carrot_and_coriander-DVD-i386.iso quiet splash --
initrd (loop)/live/initrd.img
}

with the command like that it seemed to hang, but the quiet option just kept it at the grub screen.  i deleted that option and the search --fs-uuid thing... and maybe the set root one?  perhaps i should just try removing quiet by itself and seeing what happens.

it did seem to be trying to boot however, so thats something.