[puredyne] apt.dyne.org

jaromil jaromil

[puredyne] apt.dyne.org

re all,

as i've mentioned some time ago, i'm doing my best to make any further
development of dyne:bolic interoperable with pure:dyne; a strategy
i've taken then is that to study debian packaging: apt, launchpad and
reprepro. the results can be seen at http://apt.dyne.org

the package for download there is meant for end-users and consists of
an installer which will add apt repositories for debian or ubuntu plus
a software channel in software-center. our repository mirrors packages
that are built at home or, in case of ubuntu, built on launchpad
(which is very handy for testing). this way also the exotic
dependencies of packages can be gathered all on the same server, which
is handy for long term support i guess.

The immediate advantage right now is that, to include the latest
versions of our software including fixes for ubuntu, you just have to
add:

deb http://apt.dyne.org/ubuntu dyne main
deb-src http://apt.dyne.org/ubuntu dyne main

to the list of your repositories and, if you like, install some
packages by default into the next pure-dyne! i especially recommed
'tomb-gtk' for now, which is a reimplementation of the dyne:bolic
nesting to provide secure storage (local or remote) of information,
see http://tomb.dyne.org

BTW anyone coming to the CCC camp this year BTW?
http://events.ccc.de/camp/2011/wiki/index.php/Dyne
would be cool to finger together into the gaspacho then :)

ciao!

--
jaromil,  dyne.org developer,  http://jaromil.dyne.org
GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F 5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment
padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk padawan12@obiwannabe.co.uk

Re: [puredyne] apt.dyne.org

Hi Jaromil and all,

Might I just make a nod towards PDK, the work of
Free Ekanayaka who is now at Canonical.

http://trac.64studio.com/pdk/

I think the ability to manage dependencies for long term
collaborative undertakings using sharable channels between
different distros really brings alive the true power of apt.

Though there's been so many distro building frameworks, many
I have played with including Debian-Live and the Puredyne "Broth"
scripts, I think PDK holds out a lot of promise.
I'm still a complete beginner at this, and can't tell you more
than you can see on the docs page, but Daniel at 64Studio
has considerable expertise he might share with you.

best,

Andy

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 13:22:00 +0200
Jaromil <[hidden email]> wrote:

> re all,
>
> as i've mentioned some time ago, i'm doing my best to make any further
> development of dyne:bolic interoperable with pure:dyne; a strategy
> i've taken then is that to study debian packaging: apt, launchpad and
> reprepro. the results can be seen at http://apt.dyne.org
>
> the package for download there is meant for end-users and consists of
> an installer which will add apt repositories for debian or ubuntu plus
> a software channel in software-center. our repository mirrors packages
> that are built at home or, in case of ubuntu, built on launchpad
> (which is very handy for testing). this way also the exotic
> dependencies of packages can be gathered all on the same server, which
> is handy for long term support i guess.
>

> The immediate advantage right now is that, to include the latest
> versions of our software including fixes for ubuntu, you just have to
> add:
>
> deb http://apt.dyne.org/ubuntu dyne main
> deb-src http://apt.dyne.org/ubuntu dyne main
>
> to the list of your repositories and, if you like, install some
> packages by default into the next pure-dyne! i especially recommed
> 'tomb-gtk' for now, which is a reimplementation of the dyne:bolic
> nesting to provide secure storage (local or remote) of information,
> see http://tomb.dyne.org
>
> BTW anyone coming to the CCC camp this year BTW?
> http://events.ccc.de/camp/2011/wiki/index.php/Dyne
> would be cool to finger together into the gaspacho then :)
>
> ciao!
>

> --
> jaromil,  dyne.org developer,  http://jaromil.dyne.org
> GPG: B2D9 9376 BFB2 60B7 601F 5B62 F6D3 FBD9 C2B6 8E39
> Bitcoin tip jar:  1EJYtvuq39hoWcventcnnvhPXh6i5QDReM

--
Andy Farnell <[hidden email]>
jaromil jaromil

Re: [puredyne] apt.dyne.org

hi Andy.

On Sun, 05 Jun 2011, Andy Farnell wrote:

> http://trac.64studio.com/pdk/

thanks for the tip, it looks very good indeed!

i also like very much the broth made by p:d team, yet this "repogen"
functionality is very important. being a SED/AWK freak myself i'm not
really happy about all the XML formats in PDK, however i'll look more
into it and take a decision, as far as i understand it now it wouldn't
be very difficult to build reprepro support it into broth either.

ciao

signature.asc (1K) Download Attachment