[puredyne] any workarounds for the bootup hanging issue (#485858)?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
ddw_music ddw_music
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[puredyne] any workarounds for the bootup hanging issue (#485858)?

A collaborator on my current project is trying to get puredyne set up so that he can try out my supercollider code with his video processing (he had been doing this in Windows, but now my sc code depends on a bug fix that I can build in p:d but presently not in Windows).

He's encountered the issue where p:d tries to boot but hangs when "starting init crypto disks." Like, it took him six failed attempts after a complete shutdown of the machine to get p:d to launch again. That's rather soured him on this distribution, to the point that he's now looking at Planet CCRMA instead.

Are there any workarounds?

He's using a ThinkPad T61 Model 7658-03U, Bios 7LETC6WW (2.26).

He also said grub came up for him with white text on an off-white background, which didn't quite inspire confidence. I couldn't suggest anything since I haven't seen that issue myself. (My machine did hang on start up a couple of times, but in my case, it booted properly on the second try.)

Thanks,
James


: H. James Harkins
.::!:.:.......:.::........:..!.::.::...:..:...:.:.:.:..:

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Aymeric Mansoux Aymeric Mansoux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] any workarounds for the bootup hanging issue (#485858)?

James Harkins said :

> A collaborator on my current project is trying to get puredyne set
> up so that he can try out my supercollider code with his video
> processing (he had been doing this in Windows, but now my sc code
> depends on a bug fix that I can build in p:d but presently not in
> Windows).
>
> He's encountered the issue where p:d tries to boot but hangs when
> "starting init crypto disks." Like, it took him six failed attempts
> after a complete shutdown of the machine to get p:d to launch again.
> That's rather soured him on this distribution, to the point that
> he's now looking at Planet CCRMA instead.
>
> Are there any workarounds?

This is annoying indeed but unfortunately nothing we can do about it
right now.

OTOH, if you read all the comments of #485858 there are a couple
of workarounds listed that might work for you and your friend.

 
> He's using a ThinkPad T61 Model 7658-03U, Bios 7LETC6WW (2.26).
>
> He also said grub came up for him with white text on an off-white
> background, which didn't quite inspire confidence.

The live CD/DVD and the keys made with the latest stable
make-live-device.sh script do not use grub, and if it does and it came
from us, then you would have the splashscreen in the back, so I don't
know what this grub stuff is about, not ours for sure.

a.


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
ddw_music ddw_music
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] any workarounds for the bootup hanging issue (#485858)?

Aymeric Mansoux wrote:
> The live CD/DVD and the keys made with the latest stable
> make-live-device.sh script do not use grub, and if it does and it came
> from us, then you would have the splashscreen in the back, so I don't
> know what this grub stuff is about, not ours for sure.
>  

xfce menu -> system -> install puredyne. If you set up a dual boot
system with an existing windows install, it does put grub in the boot
partition.

Thanks for the comments.
James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Aymeric Mansoux Aymeric Mansoux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] any workarounds for the bootup hanging issue (#485858)?

James Harkins said :
> Aymeric Mansoux wrote:
> >The live CD/DVD and the keys made with the latest stable
> >make-live-device.sh script do not use grub, and if it does and it came
> >from us, then you would have the splashscreen in the back, so I don't
> >know what this grub stuff is about, not ours for sure.
>
> xfce menu -> system -> install puredyne. If you set up a dual boot
> system with an existing windows install, it does put grub in the
> boot partition.

Ah ok, so this is from ubiquity.
That's weird, the standard grub installed by ubiquity is basic white on
black if I remember correctly, never seen a problem with it.
Maybe some grub2 glitch with the video card?...

It should not affect anything though.
Would be good to know if this is temporary or all the time.

a.


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
gusano gusano
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] any workarounds for the bootup hanging issue (#485858)?

(from /boot/grub/grub.cfg) grub background pic is
/usr/share/images/desktop-base/grubsplash-puredyne-logo-simple.png
which has a nearly all white background that makes reading boot options
nearly impossible.

cheers,
_y


On 04/05/10 23:09, Aymeric Mansoux wrote:
> That's weird, the standard grub installed by ubiquity is basic white on
>
> black if I remember correctly, never seen a problem with it.
> Maybe some grub2 glitch with the video card?...

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Aymeric Mansoux Aymeric Mansoux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [puredyne] any workarounds for the bootup hanging issue (#485858)?

gusano said :
> (from /boot/grub/grub.cfg) grub background pic is
> /usr/share/images/desktop-base/grubsplash-puredyne-logo-simple.png
> which has a nearly all white background that makes reading boot
> options nearly impossible.

Ah, ok, now I understand.
I did not realise that ubiquity used the splash screen.

I make a bug report
https://bugs.launchpad.net/puredyne-live/+bug/575682

Thanks.



---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne