[puredyne] animation

just a question for the community.

my idea is this:

i'd like to replicate the experience of animating directly onto 16mm or 35mm film by using some kind of "exposure sheet" which can be scanned in and automatically chopped into frames and optionally converted into video.

the sheet would have rows of "cells" representing the frames of film which could be drawn on and perhaps some kind of registration marks for the processing?

does anyone know of any tool that can be used to detect registration marks and then perform the cropping necessary to get each cell into its own image file for animation?  i imagine that imagemagick could probably do this, the thing i'm mostly concerned with is registration.  i'd guess it would be difficult to get each scan perfectly aligned, but if there was some kind of registration marks maybe the computer could align them with a 'cropping template' somehow.

i'm guessing this shouldn't be too difficult, i may have to do some hacking, but i was just wondering if anyone out there had any leads i could follow.

also, if there's a way i can filter out the scanned background to emulate clear film that would be great too.  perhaps this is in vain.

Tyler Leavitt Tyler Leavitt

Max-2 Max-2

Re: [puredyne] animation

Re: [puredyne] animation

I think that is probably what I'll end up doing.  I need to learn some script-fu for the cropping part of it, and for now i may end up positioning the initial cell by hand and then letting a script do the rest.  i tested out a manual version of this technique with gimp-gap and it works quite well.  now to figure out automation.