Quantcast

[puredyne] alsa_in JACK functionality

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Tyler Leavitt Tyler Leavitt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[puredyne] alsa_in JACK functionality

Hello,

I'm looking for alsa_in and alsa_out which are in jackd_118-svn on Lucid.... no package for Jaunty. Does anyone have the most recent jackd working? Backport maybe?


Tyler

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Andrew Lambert Andrew Lambert
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[puredyne] MIDI ports with Java

Hi all,

Bit of a random question I know but...

Does anyone know of a way to initialise some MIDI ports in Java so they are available to other programs (e.g. ALSA panel in qjackctrl)?

I was doing a project recently evolving some generative rhythms with a neural network, basically firing MIDI events. The genetic algorithm was a Java program so it made sense to implement the final thing in Java too. But after many headaches and about a day lost going round in circles, I re-implemented the neural network in SuperCollider without a hitch (got to love SC).

However, now I have the desire to give the project to a few select friends for them to use in their music - none of them are coders so would find SC a difficult platform to play with plus I'd like a bit of a cross-platform GUI for it, so I return to Java.

Any ideas...?

Cheers,
Andy

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Damaru Damaru
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [puredyne] MIDI ports with Java

I know this for processing :

http://smallbutdigital.com/themidibus.php

which is a midi library for processing but the first page seems to mention other
java library and sound information that might help

hope it helped


On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Andrew Lambert <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Bit of a random question I know but...
> Does anyone know of a way to initialise some MIDI ports in Java so they
> are available to other programs (e.g. ALSA panel in qjackctrl)?
> I was doing a project recently evolving some generative rhythms with a
> neural network, basically firing MIDI events. The genetic algorithm was a
> Java program so it made sense to implement the final thing in Java too. But
> after many headaches and about a day lost going round in circles, I
> re-implemented the neural network in SuperCollider without a hitch (got to
> love SC).
> However, now I have the desire to give the project to a few select friends
> for them to use in their music - none of them are coders so would find SC a
> difficult platform to play with plus I'd like a bit of a cross-platform GUI
> for it, so I return to Java.
> Any ideas...?
> Cheers,
> Andy
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>
---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
grant centauri grant centauri
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [puredyne] MIDI ports with Java

what about using puredata?  is that an option?  i'm not sure how cross-platform it is at this point, but you might be able to implement a fairly friendly interface with it.  just a thought. i think puredata can interface with SC as well.

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 7:21 PM, geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know this for processing :

http://smallbutdigital.com/themidibus.php

which is a midi library for processing but the first page seems to mention other
java library and sound information that might help

hope it helped


On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM, Andrew Lambert <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Bit of a random question I know but...
> Does anyone know of a way to initialise some MIDI ports in Java so they
> are available to other programs (e.g. ALSA panel in qjackctrl)?
> I was doing a project recently evolving some generative rhythms with a
> neural network, basically firing MIDI events. The genetic algorithm was a
> Java program so it made sense to implement the final thing in Java too. But
> after many headaches and about a day lost going round in circles, I
> re-implemented the neural network in SuperCollider without a hitch (got to
> love SC).
> However, now I have the desire to give the project to a few select friends
> for them to use in their music - none of them are coders so would find SC a
> difficult platform to play with plus I'd like a bit of a cross-platform GUI
> for it, so I return to Java.
> Any ideas...?
> Cheers,
> Andy
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
>
---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne


---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
ddw_music ddw_music
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [puredyne] MIDI ports with Java

In reply to this post by Andrew Lambert
At Wed, 26 Jan 2011 18:32:48 +0000,
Andrew Lambert wrote:
> plus I'd
> like a bit of a cross-platform GUI for it

You're aware that SwingOSC (which provides the GUI widgets for SC in linux) is cross-platform compatible?

James


--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks
---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Andrew Lambert Andrew Lambert
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [puredyne] MIDI ports with Java

Hi James,

Yep fully aware of SwingOSC greatness, it was something I was considering, but thought you could only access it through the sclang. Can you package up all your sc code into a single executable that uses SwingOSC? That would be ideal....

> Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 08:33:40 +0800
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [puredyne] MIDI ports with Java
>
> At Wed, 26 Jan 2011 18:32:48 +0000,
> Andrew Lambert wrote:
> > plus I'd
> > like a bit of a cross-platform GUI for it
>
> You're aware that SwingOSC (which provides the GUI widgets for SC in linux) is cross-platform compatible?
>
> James
>
>
> --
> James Harkins /// dewdrop world
> [hidden email]
> http://www.dewdrop-world.net
>
> "Come said the Muse,
> Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
> Sing me the universal." -- Whitman
>
> blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
> audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
> more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks
> ---
> [hidden email]
> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
ddw_music ddw_music
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [puredyne] MIDI ports with Java

At Thu, 27 Jan 2011 09:55:05 +0000,
Andrew Lambert wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> Yep fully aware of SwingOSC greatness, it was something I was considering, but thought you could
> only access it through the sclang. Can you package up all your sc code into a single executable
> that uses SwingOSC? That would be ideal....

On Mac, yes -- you could build a standalone and then open up the app package, put SwingOSC inside, set the paths, startup file etc. and off you go.

In Linux AFAIK there's no such thing as an "application bundle" so you would have to ship a directory. Search the sc list archives (don't remember if it was on sc-users or sc-dev) -- the question of per-installation configuration has come up before. I think it's possible in Linux by using a .sclang.cfg file in the same directory as the sclang executable. You would also have to hack some of the paths in LinuxPlatform.

You can invoke sclang from the command line with a code file to execute, so it would not be necessary for the end-user in Linux to configure scel, sced or scvim. That code file would start the audio and GUI servers and load up the stuff that the user will be playing.

sclang launch_my_app.scd

Put that in a shell script and then you have a double clickable file.

Windows... no idea.

And, all of this will be easier when the in-development QT GUI scheme is ready. Then sclang will be able to pop up its own GUI windows, fully cross-platform ready.

hjh


--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks
---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
ddw_music ddw_music
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [puredyne] MIDI ports with Java

At Sat, 29 Jan 2011 10:13:58 +0800,
James Harkins wrote:
> You can invoke sclang from the command line with a code file to execute, so it would not be necessary for the end-user in Linux to configure scel, sced or scvim. That code file would start the audio and GUI servers and load up the stuff that the user will be playing.
>
> sclang launch_my_app.scd

E.g.,

~~~
dlm@dlm-laptop:~$ echo "'this is running in sc'.postln; 0.exit" >tmp/test.scd
dlm@dlm-laptop:~$ sclang tmp/test.scd
init_OSC
compiling class library..
        NumPrimitives = 532
... blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...

Welcome to SuperCollider, for help type ctrl-c ctrl-h (Emacs) or :SChelp (vim) or ctrl-U (sced/gedit)
this is running in sc
/quit sent

quit done

LID: event loop stopped
~~~

hjh

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
[hidden email]
http://www.dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

blog: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/words
audio clips: http://www.dewdrop-world.net/audio
more audio: http://soundcloud.com/dewdrop_world/tracks
---
[hidden email]
http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
Loading...