[puredyne] Working methods (music)

jm jones jm jones

[puredyne] Working methods (music)

Hi, Im starting to make music with Pure Data. Almost all my songs were
made in Renoise, and I want to know free alternatives. pd is great,
but I want a  sequencer in my workflow too. For example I want to
record midi sequences triggered by pd, record pd audio output, arrange
that, etc.
I need some workflow examples.
Ardour is great, but I dont know how to work with midi. Qtractor seems
good, but I dont tried it yet.
--
JM Jones

Re: [puredyne] Working methods (music)

I've been having similar issues trying to make music with the linux sound apps.  I've recently started using Rosegarden as my sequencer, and I've been pretty happy with it.  I'm not sure if it is what you're looking for, but I find it to be pretty flexible and stable as well.  I particularly like it because I can edit music with traditional notation or a matrix style, I can load synth plug ins directly or just trigger external programs.

I haven't done much midi recording with rosegarden, but I imagine it is as simple as connecting pd to to one of rosegarden's midi inputs, arming a track and hitting record.  Rosegarden can also work with audio tracks so perhaps it might work for your purposes.
I would also be interested in people's workflow examples for making music with free software.

jm jones said :
> Hi, Im starting to make music with Pure Data. Almost all my songs were
> made in Renoise, and I want to know free alternatives. pd is great,
> but I want a  sequencer in my workflow too. For example I want to
> record midi sequences triggered by pd, record pd audio output, arrange
> that, etc.
> I need some workflow examples.

seq24 is a nice little pattern based MIDI seq.

Josh Lawrence-2 Josh Lawrence-2

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 4:17 PM, jm jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
> but I want a  sequencer in my workflow too. For example I want to
> record midi sequences triggered by pd, record pd audio output, arrange
> that, etc.

I like Qtractor the best out of all of the mentioned software, but I
gotta tell you - I have not found a MIDI solution in Linux that is
satisfying to me.  So, I've purchased a hardware sequencer (Roland
MC-50 mkII) for cheap off of Craigslist, I'm going to try that
approach for awhile.

Here is a good resource that might be of some help:

http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/categories/midi_software

It doesn't help with your workflow question, but it will give you a
good idea as to what is out there.

Josh

jm jones jm jones

2010/10/4 Josh Lawrence <[hidden email]>:

> On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 4:17 PM, jm jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> but I want a  sequencer in my workflow too. For example I want to
>> record midi sequences triggered by pd, record pd audio output, arrange
>> that, etc.
>
> I like Qtractor the best out of all of the mentioned software, but I
> gotta tell you - I have not found a MIDI solution in Linux that is
> satisfying to me.  So, I've purchased a hardware sequencer (Roland
> MC-50 mkII) for cheap off of Craigslist, I'm going to try that
> approach for awhile.

Thanks. I dont want to use hardware, I will  prefer to run Reaper under wine.
Im waiting for the 3.0 release of Ardour too. But Reaper is sooo
straight-foward and powerfull, and runs perfect in Linux.... Last
night I was recording the audio of my first pure data experiments,
rearranging that, using midi.
I will like to be totally "free", but for the moment i feel more free
now, with a free OS, Jack, pure data, sooperlooper, Reaper & Renoise.

--
JM Jones

Ricardo Gabriel Herdt Ricardo Gabriel Herdt

2010/10/4 jm jones <[hidden email]>:

> Thanks. I dont want to use hardware, I will  prefer to run Reaper under wine.
> Im waiting for the 3.0 release of Ardour too. But Reaper is sooo
> straight-foward and powerfull, and runs perfect in Linux.... Last
> night I was recording the audio of my first pure data experiments,
> rearranging that, using midi.
> I will like to be totally "free", but for the moment i feel more free
> now, with a free OS, Jack, pure data, sooperlooper, Reaper & Renoise.
>
> --
> JM Jones

Hi,

I realize that's not exactly what you are asking for, anyway...
... I've found supercollider very useful to compose music. It has a
very steep learning curve, but for those who have patience and time I
suggest taking a look at it. There are some very good examples on how
to use it for music creation, like the spacelab rewrite one
(spacelab.scd file, inside the source directory).

jm jones jm jones

2010/10/4 Ricardo Gabriel Herdt <[hidden email]>:

> I realize that's not exactly what you are asking for, anyway...
> ... I've found supercollider very useful to compose music. It has a
> very steep learning curve, but for those who have patience and time I
> suggest taking a look at it. There are some very good examples on how
> to use it for music creation, like the spacelab rewrite one
> (spacelab.scd file, inside the source directory).

Now Im learning pure data, and for the moment, is more than enough  : )
m curious about how pure data  (or SC, ChuK, etc)  users integrate
that software with the more traditional music programs (DAWs)

--
JM Jones

Ricardo Gabriel Herdt Ricardo Gabriel Herdt

Re: [puredyne] Working methods (music)

2010/10/4 jm jones <[hidden email]>:
> Now Im learning pure data, and for the moment, is more than enough  : )
> m curious about how pure data  (or SC, ChuK, etc)  users integrate
> that software with the more traditional music programs (DAWs)
>
> --
> JM Jones

I haven't tried it yet, but ardour can be controlled with osc
messages, which both sc and pd can handle:
http://ardour.org/osc_control .

concrete examples.

Bernardo Barros Bernardo Barros

Re: [puredyne] Working methods (music)

here one example of controlling ardour from sc:
https://bitbucket.org/smoge/ardourcontrol
this can be done with PD too, of course