[puredyne] What should be in basic puredyne help?

[puredyne] What should be in basic puredyne help?

Hi all -

Working on polishing puredyne. In the main menu there's a "Help" item
but it goes straight to "Xfce 4.4 Documentation" which is totally
baffling for someone who was hoping to find help on puredyne.

So what should be shown on a *main* puredyne help bundled with the OS?

It'll be a single short HTML page, and can link to "deeper" help such
as the Xfce stuff. Imagine a single panel on the screen in front of
you. What sort of information should be there to help a beginner?
Suggestions please!

Josh Lawrence-2 Josh Lawrence-2

Re: [puredyne] What should be in basic puredyne help?

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Dan S <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It'll be a single short HTML page, and can link to "deeper" help such
> as the Xfce stuff. Imagine a single panel on the screen in front of
> you. What sort of information should be there to help a beginner?

I can't speak to art/aesthetics, but I would link to the puredyne wiki
page, the mailing list signup page, and the irc page.  that way the
doc can be maintained in one place (the wiki), without having to
update an installed package every time the doc is updated.

basically, this:  http://puredyne.goto10.org/support.html

simple is better IMHO.

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com

alejoo alejoo

Re: [puredyne] What should be in basic puredyne help?

ohh, i was thinking on the uber normal stuff that gets people stuck. like:

changing keyboard layouts
connecting to internet
getting into IRC
controlling sound levels and sound card
getting to connect via WAP
what is new in pure:dyne

yes, i know many of those are dead simple via xfce4 but sometimes the help menu should be there for such "dumb" things...

hope this is not to much off the mark dan.

/a

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Josh Lawrence <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Dan S <[hidden email]> wrote:
> It'll be a single short HTML page, and can link to "deeper" help such
> as the Xfce stuff. Imagine a single panel on the screen in front of
> you. What sort of information should be there to help a beginner?

I can't speak to art/aesthetics, but I would link to the puredyne wiki
page, the mailing list signup page, and the irc page.  that way the
doc can be maintained in one place (the wiki), without having to
update an installed package every time the doc is updated.

basically, this:  http://puredyne.goto10.org/support.html

simple is better IMHO.

--
Josh Lawrence
http://www.hardbop200.com

Re: [puredyne] What should be in basic puredyne help?

No problem, both are good suggestions. "Connecting to the internet" is
pretty important if you're going to expect people to go to the web for
the other information, I reckon...

Dan

2010/3/22 alejo d <[hidden email]>:

> ohh, i was thinking on the uber normal stuff that gets people stuck. like:
> changing keyboard layouts
> connecting to internet
> getting into IRC
> controlling sound levels and sound card
> getting to connect via WAP
> what is new in pure:dyne
> yes, i know many of those are dead simple via xfce4 but sometimes the help
> menu should be there for such "dumb" things...
> hope this is not to much off the mark dan.
> /a
>

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Josh Lawrence <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Dan S <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > It'll be a single short HTML page, and can link to "deeper" help such
>> > as the Xfce stuff. Imagine a single panel on the screen in front of
>> > you. What sort of information should be there to help a beginner?
>>
>> I can't speak to art/aesthetics, but I would link to the puredyne wiki
>> page, the mailing list signup page, and the irc page.  that way the
>> doc can be maintained in one place (the wiki), without having to
>> update an installed package every time the doc is updated.
>>
>> basically, this:  http://puredyne.goto10.org/support.html
>>
>> simple is better IMHO.
>>
>> --
>> Josh Lawrence
>> http://www.hardbop200.com

pakazite sudchai pakazite sudchai

Re: [puredyne] What should be in basic puredyne help?

I think both basic help like "Connecting to the internet" and specific help like "Making music in SuperCollider" are things people who is not familiar with linux/puredyne/XFCE would like to know in Help Menu. However, there should be more answers about puredyne-specific that make those people first-aid their system as soon as possible besides the Wiki, IRC, etc.

Pakazite

On 23 March 2010 15:56, Dan S <[hidden email]> wrote:
No problem, both are good suggestions. "Connecting to the internet" is
pretty important if you're going to expect people to go to the web for
the other information, I reckon...

Dan

2010/3/22 alejo d <[hidden email]>:
> ohh, i was thinking on the uber normal stuff that gets people stuck. like:
> changing keyboard layouts
> connecting to internet
> getting into IRC
> controlling sound levels and sound card
> getting to connect via WAP
> what is new in pure:dyne
> yes, i know many of those are dead simple via xfce4 but sometimes the help
> menu should be there for such "dumb" things...
> hope this is not to much off the mark dan.
> /a
>

> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 10:34 PM, Josh Lawrence <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Dan S <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > It'll be a single short HTML page, and can link to "deeper" help such
>> > as the Xfce stuff. Imagine a single panel on the screen in front of
>> > you. What sort of information should be there to help a beginner?
>>
>> I can't speak to art/aesthetics, but I would link to the puredyne wiki
>> page, the mailing list signup page, and the irc page.  that way the
>> doc can be maintained in one place (the wiki), without having to
>> update an installed package every time the doc is updated.
>>
>> basically, this:  http://puredyne.goto10.org/support.html
>>
>> simple is better IMHO.
>>
>> --
>> Josh Lawrence
>> http://www.hardbop200.com

Re: [puredyne] What should be in basic puredyne help?

Something about JACK might be nice.  Even just a very basic "Most Linux sound apps run through JACK so before you start anything up, run JACK Control and start it up"... perhaps some info on its settings and how to connect things.

I have a friend who I started on pure:dyne and he had no idea about that, even when I mentioned to him "You have to use JACK".  It just isn't clear.  Its not like sound apps on any other system (as far as I know), and it can be quite confusing to new users.  Perhaps just a quick "Follow these steps to get your first sound out of pure:dyne..." sort of tutorial.  It could be very basic.  Maybe I could even talk to my friend and find out what he thinks would have been useful.

grant

grant centauri said :

> Something about JACK might be nice.  Even just a very basic "Most Linux
> sound apps run through JACK so before you start anything up, run JACK
> Control and start it up"... perhaps some info on its settings and how to
> connect things.
>
> I have a friend who I started on pure:dyne and he had no idea about that,
> even when I mentioned to him "You have to use JACK".  It just isn't clear.
> Its not like sound apps on any other system (as far as I know), and it can
> be quite confusing to new users.  Perhaps just a quick "Follow these steps
> to get your first sound out of pure:dyne..." sort of tutorial.  It could be
> very basic.  Maybe I could even talk to my friend and find out what he
> thinks would have been useful.

That would be nice to know, it is quite difficult for us to get an idea
of what can be the most overwhelming things for a new user, so any hints
are very welcome!

a.

> grant
>
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 8:25 AM, pakazite sudchai <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > I think both basic help like *"Connecting to the internet"* and specific
> > help like *"Making music in SuperCollider"* are things people who is not
> > familiar with linux/puredyne/XFCE would like to know in Help Menu. However,
> > there should be more answers about puredyne-specific that make those people
> > first-aid their system as soon as possible besides the Wiki, IRC, etc.
> >
> > Pakazite
> >

> > On 23 March 2010 15:56, Dan S <[hidden email]<danstowell%[hidden email]>
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> No problem, both are good suggestions. "Connecting to the internet" is
> >> pretty important if you're going to expect people to go to the web for
> >> the other information, I reckon...
> >>
> >> Dan

> >> like:
> >> help

> >> --
> >> http://www.mcld.co.uk
> >>
> >> ---
> >> [hidden email]
> >> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> >> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
> >>

> > ---
> > [hidden email]
> > http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> > irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

alvaro-3 alvaro-3

Re: [puredyne] What should be in basic puredyne help?

be nice to have a section to help with getting PDMTL to work.

like how to add moocow to the startup in pd so the browser.pd from pdmtl works.

i still cant figure out how to get it to work.

but only been working on it for a few minutes now.

-i get this error when opening browser.pd

pdmtl_help_browser: Version 12
 any2string 128 -1
... couldn't create
 string2any
... couldn't create
 any2string 128 -1
... couldn't create
 string2any
... couldn't create
 getdollarzero 10
... couldn't create

i love puredyne!!

> Something about JACK might be nice.  Even just a very basic "Most Linux
> sound apps run through JACK so before you start anything up, run JACK
> Control and start it up"... perhaps some info on its settings and how to
> connect things.
>
> I have a friend who I started on pure:dyne and he had no idea about that,
> even when I mentioned to him "You have to use JACK".  It just isn't clear.
> Its not like sound apps on any other system (as far as I know), and it can
> be quite confusing to new users.  Perhaps just a quick "Follow these steps
> to get your first sound out of pure:dyne..." sort of tutorial.  It could be
> very basic.  Maybe I could even talk to my friend and find out what he
> thinks would have been useful.

That would be nice to know, it is quite difficult for us to get an idea
of what can be the most overwhelming things for a new user, so any hints
are very welcome!

a.

> grant
>
> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 8:25 AM, pakazite sudchai <pakazite@...>wrote:
>
> > I think both basic help like *"Connecting to the internet"* and specific
> > help like *"Making music in SuperCollider"* are things people who is not
> > familiar with linux/puredyne/XFCE would like to know in Help Menu. However,
> > there should be more answers about puredyne-specific that make those people
> > first-aid their system as soon as possible besides the Wiki, IRC, etc.
> >
> > Pakazite
> >

> > On 23 March 2010 15:56, Dan S <danstowell+puredyne@...<danstowell%2Bpuredyne@...>
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> No problem, both are good suggestions. "Connecting to the internet" is
> >> pretty important if you're going to expect people to go to the web for
> >> the other information, I reckon...
> >>
> >> Dan

> >> like:
> >> help

> >> --
> >> http://www.mcld.co.uk
> >>
> >> ---
> >> Puredyne@...
> >> http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> >> irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
> >>

> > ---
> > Puredyne@...
> > http://identi.ca/group/puredyne
> > irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
> >

> ---
> Puredyne@...

Puredyne@...

steve allen steve allen

Re: [puredyne] What should be in basic puredyne help?

installing flash plugin may be a good example of synaptic, I guess
everyone uses flash. There seems to be masses of [apt-get] installation
references to non-free but non to adobe-flash. I had no success with
apturl [i think thats the name] though didn't  dig too deep  as is a non
brainer to install anyway, and I have vague memories of nonfree
generating some issues

steve

alvaro wrote:

> be nice to have a section to help with getting PDMTL to work.
>
> like how to add moocow to the startup in pd so the browser.pd from
> pdmtl works.
>
> i still cant figure out how to get it to work.
>
> but only been working on it for a few minutes now.
>
> -i get this error when opening browser.pd
>
> pdmtl_help_browser: Version 12
>  any2string 128 -1
> ... couldn't create
>  string2any
> ... couldn't create
>  any2string 128 -1
> ... couldn't create
>  string2any
> ... couldn't create
>  getdollarzero 10
> ... couldn't create
>

> i love puredyne!!

gusano gusano

Re: [puredyne] What should be in basic puredyne help?

hi
what about some notes on how to dual-boot with pure-dyne ?

cheers
_y

Re: [puredyne] What should be in basic puredyne help?

for me the how to install .deb would be great

dpkg was a nice discovery - since I was used to only have to double click on the .deb

Also a list of potential interesting software could be good - I love nekobee and it wasn't install by default - that is just an example
(like - other software you might like to create multi-media... I love these list of what else can be done)

Freemind is also another one but it's a bit remote to the idea of pure:dyne yet quite usefull.

Arduino should be mention since it's not in the menu (or should it just be in the menu)

my 2 cents

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 7:36 AM, gusano <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi
what about some notes on how to dual-boot with pure-dyne ?

cheers
_y

steve allen steve allen

Re: [puredyne] What should be in basic puredyne help?

power management setup may be of use. I run on a laptop and have had it
die on me a few times. It is set to sleep by default in ubuntu

steve