[puredyne] WINE + windows progs already installed on an ntfs-3g volume?

ddw_music ddw_music

[puredyne] WINE + windows progs already installed on an ntfs-3g volume?

Beg pardon if this is not the right place to ask this question -- I was just playing around to see if the installation of Dragon NaturallySpeaking on my winxp work machine could be cajoled into starting under pure:dyne with WINE. It does attempt to load the executable but I've quickly replicated Windows DLL Hell. I suspect I can get around it by setting $LIBPATH, but I'm not sure if what I'm doing is reasonable in the first place -- that is, running a program that was installed under Windows, just using Linux instead. Maybe I should run the installer in Linux?

(Just to be clear -- I mounted c: using "sudo mount -type ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /mnt/win," then cd /path/to/blah and ./natspeak.exe. Wine kicked in nicely, which I was happy to see, but then I got a lot of import_dll errors.)

It's kind of a key test for me because I depend on voice dictation software and if this works, I would be one step closer to breaking my dependence on Apple* (which I would rather like to do, as I'm no fan of the closed architectures that are making them piles of money at the moment).

* I'm also watching the firewire discussion closely for this reason also.

If there is another place I should ask, let me know and I'll take the question there -- thanks --
James

: H. James Harkins
.::!:.:.......:.::........:..!.::.::...:..:...:.:.:.:..:

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

alejoo alejoo

Re: [puredyne] WINE + windows progs already installed on an ntfs-3g volume?

hi james,

On Sun, Apr 4, 2010 at 9:08 PM, James Harkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

i have installed many windows applications under puredyne via wine, you just have to run the installer and if DLL hell comes along then just browse the web for whatever you are missing so to make your win application happy...

the main problem i see is often related to the video card being unable to render things correctly.. also try installing a recent version of wine, i compiled from svn cause the one in the repos was not as fresh and people on the #winehq channel suggested to get fresh code.

the applications i ran are mostly related to satellites and sky maps.. unfortunately there's not so much in those fields on the gnu/linux world yet.

good luck!
/a