[puredyne] Syncing Jack to external clock

Loz Loz

[puredyne] Syncing Jack to external clock

Hi,

I've tried to find any hint of this online, but come up blank.
Basically, what I want to do is sync Jack's clock and transport to an
external sequencer of mine, so that computer stuff synced with Jack
will all sync with my external clock source.

I've had a play around with Jack last night, and couldn't seem to get
it working, but from looking online, I'm not even sure it is possible.
Is it? If so, how would I go about it?

Thanks,
Loz

Re: [puredyne] Syncing Jack to external clock

sorry if these question are too basic but

you have a midi-in, on your sound card and you connect your sequencer
to it right ?

what sequencer are you using ? and are you sure it's spitting out your
midi clock ?

And what software are you using on jack ?

You should be able to map your midi-in clock in jack to any midi
capable software (or jack capable software)

Loz Loz

Re: [puredyne] Syncing Jack to external clock

Hi,

I've already managed to sync Seq24 to Jack, so that playing Jack
starts the Seq24 sequencer. However, I can't seem to get Jack to sync
to my Electribe, either clocking the tempo or starting/stopping
whenever I start/stop on my Electribe.

Anyone got any ideas?

Loz

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 4:30 AM, geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:

> you are right seq24 will not accept midi clock directly (but will send
> midi clock directly...)
>
> yeah there is not much information about it around - i found a bit of
> info that might do the trick
>
> http://ooommm.org/sudelwiki/Seq24
>
> which at least give you some trick to start seq24 visible in jack:
>
> seq24 --manual_alsa_ports
>
> and the jack sync :
>
> Setting up JACK-Sync in seq24:
> File -> Options -> Jack Sync
> check Jack Transport & Song Mode, then hit CONNECT
> you can leave the seq24-window now and go back to Ardour or JACK/qjackctl
>

> let me know where you get with that I would be interested to see how
> you can set that up.
>

> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 4:18 AM, Loz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> If that's true, that's great. I'm pretty certain I've tried this, and
>> Seq24 will not clock to an external source, apart from Jack.
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:45 PM, geoffroy tremblay <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I don't think you need jack to run seq24 - it detect the input and
>>> midi output automatically no ?
>>> I use it to control my dark energy at home and I am pretty sure I
>>> don't use jack  -
>>>
>>> that is if you only want to use seq24
>>>
>>> I'll check my setup and let you know tomorrow.

Re: [puredyne] Syncing Jack to external clock

looking further - but haven't tried it :

http://jackctlmmc.sourceforge.net/

seems to get the midi message and send it to the jack control

let me know if that works for you - and if it works well