[puredyne] Search and Muse on Pure:Dyne?

Viktor Mastoridis Viktor Mastoridis

[puredyne] Search and Muse on Pure:Dyne?

Hello there,

I am discovering your Distro these days and it's really wonderful.

Question 1: how does one perform a search on Pure:Dyne/Xfce? I haven't discovered a search facility for Xfce so far. SearchMonkey works well but crashes frequently and one can't open a folder within it (it doesn't like spaces in folder names). What's your recommendation for a Search utility anyways?

Question 2: Why Muse is not part of the package? Muse 1 installs pretty well and performs rock-solid on Pure:Dyne, but it's a lengthy and not beginner-friendly process, so I wonder do you think about future inclusions of Muse on Pure:Dyne?

Thanks in advance,

Viktor Mastoridis

Claude Heiland-Allen Claude Heiland-Allen

Re: [puredyne] Search and Muse on Pure:Dyne?

Hi Viktor,

Viktor Mastoridis wrote:
> Hello there,
>
> I am discovering your Distro these days and it's really wonderful.

:)

> Question 1: how does one perform a search on Pure:Dyne/Xfce? I haven't
> discovered a search facility for Xfce so far. SearchMonkey works well but
> crashes frequently and one can't open a folder within it (it doesn't like
> spaces in folder names). What's your recommendation for a Search utility
> anyways?

I'm not sure about Xfce integrated searching, because personally I use
the command-line 'find' in a terminal, eg to search for Ogg Videos
something like 'find /media/external-drive -iname "*.ogv"'; if you have
a permanent install on an always-on machine then 'locate' can be much
faster (it indexes the drives at about 5am every day by default) but it
is less flexible ('find' supports many ways of filtering the results,
for example files larger than a certain size created before a certain
date, 'locate' is based on file/path names only).

Check their manual pages for full gory details: 'man find', 'man locate'

They both handle spaces in names, but you have to be careful if you pipe
the output into other programs like 'xargs' for example: the '-print0'
flag to 'find' and the '-0' flag to 'xargs' will prevent strange issues.

> Question 2: Why Muse is not part of the package? Muse 1 installs pretty well
> and performs rock-solid on Pure:Dyne, but it's a lengthy and not
> beginner-friendly process, so I wonder do you think about future inclusions
> of Muse on Pure:Dyne?

If it is packaged already, then it would be trivial to add, but if it's
a lengthy process as you say then perhaps it isn't yet packaged - in
which case it's more unlikely that we'll have time to do that - we'd be
more than happy to help you learn how to build a Debian/Ubuntu package
(if you don't know already).  File a feature request on Launchpad to
help us not lose track!

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Viktor Mastoridis

Thanks, and sorry that these are probably not quite the answers you were
looking for!

Claude

Claude Heiland-Allen said :

> >Question 1: how does one perform a search on Pure:Dyne/Xfce? I haven't
> >discovered a search facility for Xfce so far. SearchMonkey works well but
> >crashes frequently and one can't open a folder within it (it doesn't like
> >spaces in folder names). What's your recommendation for a Search utility
> >anyways?
>
> I'm not sure about Xfce integrated searching, because personally I
> use the command-line 'find' in a terminal, eg to search for Ogg
> Videos something like 'find /media/external-drive -iname "*.ogv"';
> if you have a permanent install on an always-on machine then
> 'locate' can be much faster (it indexes the drives at about 5am
> every day by default) but it is less flexible ('find' supports many
> ways of filtering the results, for example files larger than a
> certain size created before a certain date, 'locate' is based on
> file/path names only).
>
> Check their manual pages for full gory details: 'man find', 'man locate'
>
> They both handle spaces in names, but you have to be careful if you
> pipe the output into other programs like 'xargs' for example: the
> '-print0' flag to 'find' and the '-0' flag to 'xargs' will prevent
> strange issues.

I think we should provide either beagle or tracker in the DVD ISO, I
know quite a few people that are using those new mega searching tools.
I'm still happy with using only find, but I can see a point in having a
good search engine for desktop users.

Is anyone familiar with any of these projects, which one would you
recommend?

Thomas Vriet Thomas Vriet

Aymeric Mansoux wrote:

> Claude Heiland-Allen said :
>>> Question 1: how does one perform a search on Pure:Dyne/Xfce? I haven't
>>> discovered a search facility for Xfce so far. SearchMonkey works well but
>>> crashes frequently and one can't open a folder within it (it doesn't like
>>> spaces in folder names). What's your recommendation for a Search utility
>>> anyways?
>> I'm not sure about Xfce integrated searching, because personally I
>> use the command-line 'find' in a terminal, eg to search for Ogg
>> Videos something like 'find /media/external-drive -iname "*.ogv"';
>> if you have a permanent install on an always-on machine then
>> 'locate' can be much faster (it indexes the drives at about 5am
>> every day by default) but it is less flexible ('find' supports many
>> ways of filtering the results, for example files larger than a
>> certain size created before a certain date, 'locate' is based on
>> file/path names only).
>>
>> Check their manual pages for full gory details: 'man find', 'man locate'
>>
>> They both handle spaces in names, but you have to be careful if you
>> pipe the output into other programs like 'xargs' for example: the
>> '-print0' flag to 'find' and the '-0' flag to 'xargs' will prevent
>> strange issues.
>
> I think we should provide either beagle or tracker in the DVD ISO, I
> know quite a few people that are using those new mega searching tools.
> I'm still happy with using only find, but I can see a point in having a
> good search engine for desktop users.
>
> Is anyone familiar with any of these projects, which one would you
> recommend?

as a user-friendly and light search app, there is also catfish

2010/4/2 Aymeric Mansoux <[hidden email]>:

> Claude Heiland-Allen said :
>> >Question 1: how does one perform a search on Pure:Dyne/Xfce? I haven't
>> >discovered a search facility for Xfce so far. SearchMonkey works well but
>> >crashes frequently and one can't open a folder within it (it doesn't like
>> >spaces in folder names). What's your recommendation for a Search utility
>> >anyways?
>>
>> I'm not sure about Xfce integrated searching, because personally I
>> use the command-line 'find' in a terminal, eg to search for Ogg
>> Videos something like 'find /media/external-drive -iname "*.ogv"';
>> if you have a permanent install on an always-on machine then
>> 'locate' can be much faster (it indexes the drives at about 5am
>> every day by default) but it is less flexible ('find' supports many
>> ways of filtering the results, for example files larger than a
>> certain size created before a certain date, 'locate' is based on
>> file/path names only).
>>
>> Check their manual pages for full gory details: 'man find', 'man locate'
>>
>> They both handle spaces in names, but you have to be careful if you
>> pipe the output into other programs like 'xargs' for example: the
>> '-print0' flag to 'find' and the '-0' flag to 'xargs' will prevent
>> strange issues.
>
> I think we should provide either beagle or tracker in the DVD ISO, I
> know quite a few people that are using those new mega searching tools.
> I'm still happy with using only find, but I can see a point in having a
> good search engine for desktop users.
>
> Is anyone familiar with any of these projects, which one would you
> recommend?

I don't use them but linux format did a roundup recently. their
"winner" was recoll, though it has a lot of dependencies; beagle was
also 9/10; tracker was highly-rated but penalised for slow launch time
and broken tagging feature. make of that what you will.

alex-11-3 alex-11-3

Re: [puredyne] Search and Muse on Pure:Dyne?

It would be bad if file indexing kicked in at the wrong moment...
Would there be a way of disabling file indexing while jackd is running
perhaps?

--
http://yaxu.org/

viktormas viktormas

Re: [puredyne] Search and Muse on Pure:Dyne?

Question 2: Why Muse is not part of the package?...

If it is packaged already, then it would be trivial to add, but if it's a lengthy process as you say then perhaps it isn't yet packaged - in which case it's more unlikely that we'll have time to do that - we'd be more than happy to help you learn how to build a Debian/Ubuntu package (if you don't know already).  File a feature request on Launchpad to help us not lose track!

Thanks Claude,

Seems packaging is done already:-)
This is what I received from the Muse list:

Hi guys,

Philip Johnsson already made an ubuntu deb from version 1.0. He is a very nice and addicted guy and we ask him, I am quite sure he won't hesitate to build the latest version of muse for us.

His repo is very useful for audio users and can be found here
https://launchpad.net/~philip5/+archive/extra?field.series_filter=karmic

Greetings,
Michael