[puredyne] Running Live on mac book pros

Lorenzo Sutton Lorenzo Sutton

[puredyne] Running Live on mac book pros

Hello,
I was advised to write to the puredyne list.

For a seminar I will be holding on linux+audio I'd like to enable
attendees (not many) to try directly, so I Puredyne was my best
candidate (esp. because of Pure Data installed).
I tried Puredyne 9.11 DVD and it works without a glitch on my laptop,
but I had the opportunity to test on a mac book pro and the boot porcess
drops me at a terminal at certain point.

Not being a mac expert at all, any hint, suggertion etc. would be
appreciated.

For this task I'm interested in live operation only, not installation
(maybe when I'll do an install-fest :)) which I've read is possible.

Thanks,
Lorenzo.

Re: [puredyne] Running Live on mac book pros

I have successfully booted a mac book pro with the 9.11 CD.  I was trying to install and boot from USB, which failed on me at some point in the boot process as well.

I'd suggest just trying the CD version and see if that works, if it has what you need then maybe you'll be alright.  I have access to a mac book pro here that I am attempting to get working via USB boot, perhaps I'll try the DVD and see what happens.

Any clues on what part of the boot process fails?

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Lorenzo Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
I was advised to write to the puredyne list.

For a seminar I will be holding on linux+audio I'd like to enable
attendees (not many) to try directly, so I Puredyne was my best
candidate (esp. because of Pure Data installed).
I tried Puredyne 9.11 DVD and it works without a glitch on my laptop,
but I had the opportunity to test on a mac book pro and the boot porcess
drops me at a terminal at certain point.

Not being a mac expert at all, any hint, suggertion etc. would be
appreciated.

For this task I'm interested in live operation only, not installation
(maybe when I'll do an install-fest :)) which I've read is possible.

Thanks,
Lorenzo.

Lorenzo Sutton Lorenzo Sutton

Re: [puredyne] Running Live on mac book pros

Dear grant,

Thanks for the quick feedback.

grant centauri wrote:
I have successfully booted a mac book pro with the 9.11 CD.  I was trying to install and boot from USB, which failed on me at some point in the boot process as well.
Ok I should try the CD then.

I'd suggest just trying the CD version and see if that works, if it has what you need then maybe you'll be alright.  I have access to a mac book pro here that I am attempting to get working via USB boot, perhaps I'll try the DVD and see what happens.

Any clues on what part of the boot process fails?
(Un)fortunately I do not own a mac so I'm relying on borrowing one to test. As soon as I can I'll try the CD and DVD again to try and provide better feedback.

Lorenzo.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Lorenzo Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
I was advised to write to the puredyne list.

For a seminar I will be holding on linux+audio I'd like to enable
attendees (not many) to try directly, so I Puredyne was my best
candidate (esp. because of Pure Data installed).
I tried Puredyne 9.11 DVD and it works without a glitch on my laptop,
but I had the opportunity to test on a mac book pro and the boot porcess
drops me at a terminal at certain point.

Not being a mac expert at all, any hint, suggertion etc. would be
appreciated.

For this task I'm interested in live operation only, not installation
(maybe when I'll do an install-fest :)) which I've read is possible.

Thanks,
Lorenzo.

<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="irc://">irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

--- [hidden email] http://identi.ca/group/puredyne <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne">irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

grant centauri wrote:
I have successfully booted a mac book pro with the 9.11 CD.  I was trying to install and boot from USB, which failed on me at some point in the boot process as well.
Ok I should try the CD then.

Unfortunately the CD seems to have the same problem...

I'd suggest just trying the CD version and see if that works, if it has what you need then maybe you'll be alright.  I have access to a mac book pro here that I am attempting to get working via USB boot, perhaps I'll try the DVD and see what happens.

Any clues on what part of the boot process fails?
(Un)fortunately I do not own a mac so I'm relying on borrowing one to test. As soon as I can I'll try the CD and DVD again to try and provide better feedback.

Both the CD and DVD spin down and eventually drop to a console with a Debian Live screen after a message reading:

usb 1-1.1.3: configuration #1 chosen from choice

The previous line says something something like

usb 1-1.1.3: new full speed usb ...

Sorry I wrote this by hand as I had limited time to test on the machine.

Lorenzo.

Lorenzo.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Lorenzo Sutton <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
I was advised to write to the puredyne list.

For a seminar I will be holding on linux+audio I'd like to enable
attendees (not many) to try directly, so I Puredyne was my best
candidate (esp. because of Pure Data installed).
I tried Puredyne 9.11 DVD and it works without a glitch on my laptop,
but I had the opportunity to test on a mac book pro and the boot porcess
drops me at a terminal at certain point.

Not being a mac expert at all, any hint, suggertion etc. would be
appreciated.

For this task I'm interested in live operation only, not installation
(maybe when I'll do an install-fest :)) which I've read is possible.

Thanks,
Lorenzo.

<a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="irc://">irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

--- [hidden email] http://identi.ca/group/puredyne <a moz-do-not-send="true" class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne">irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
--- [hidden email] http://identi.ca/group/puredyne <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne">irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

Re: [puredyne] Running Live on mac book pros

Hm... not the error I was expecting.  I'll need more information to help solve the problem.  If you get a chance to test the machine again, and can be on IRC, I'd be happy to try and meet with you and walk through the problem.

The usb stuff made me wonder if you have any devices attached at boot?  I don't think that would cause a problem but occasionally it might.  I don't know exactly where in the boot process usb detection comes in but it seems to me like you're almost there.  The Debian Live screen is a little confusing to me, as Puredyne is based on ubuntu.... perhaps everything is booting but your X windows aren't able to start up?  What happens if you try entering commands in the console?  Is it a running system or is it some kind of recovery console?  Have you tried `startx`?

I assume the CD/DVD will boot on other systems?  Sorry for asking so many obvious questions, it just seems to be the only way to troubleshoot sometimes.  Anyways, I hope we can figure it out.

--- [hidden email] http://identi.ca/group/puredyne irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne
--- [hidden email] http://identi.ca/group/puredyne irc://irc.goto10.org/puredyne

Lorenzo Sutton Lorenzo Sutton

Re: [puredyne] Running Live on mac book pros

Grant,

Thanks for being so supportive!

Hm... not the error I was expecting.  I'll need more information to help solve the problem.  If you get a chance to test the machine again, and can be on IRC, I'd be happy to try and meet with you and walk through the problem.
That's really a kind offer, maybe we can arrange off-list

The usb stuff made me wonder if you have any devices attached at boot?  I don't think that would cause a problem but occasionally it might.
It was my first suspect, and I tried with everything unplugged. I also suspect something is being detected as usb which isn't (like e.g. a keyboard)?
I don't know exactly where in the boot process usb detection comes in but it seems to me like you're almost there.  The Debian Live screen is a little confusing to me, as Puredyne is based on ubuntu.... perhaps everything is booting but your X windows aren't able to start up?  What happens if you try entering commands in the console?  Is it a running system or is it some kind of recovery console?  Have you tried `startx`?
It looked like a minimal recovery console, with minimal commands working (fortunately including a reboot command). startx wasn't recognized as a valid command.

I assume the CD/DVD will boot on other systems?
I booted the CD and DVD succesfully on an hp laptop tested quickly sound (with jack) and wifi and it was perfect.
Sorry for asking so many obvious questions, it just seems to be the only way to troubleshoot sometimes.
No problem. Actually I really appreciate the support. My little mac (laptops) experience and not having the machine always doesn't help :)

 Anyways, I hope we can figure it out.
Yes I hope so to!

Lorenzo.