[puredyne] Recognizing MIDI keyboard

JL@PD JL@PD

[puredyne] Recognizing MIDI keyboard

Hi,

The main reason I've stuck with Puredyne is because it recognized my
M-Audio Oxygen-8 keyboard straight away, whereas no other distribution
I've tried so far has been able to do that - including Studio64 and Ubuntu
Studio.
I was just wondering which configuration files I need to look at in order
to understand how Puredyne does this - as far as I've googled it doesn't
look like the Oxygen 8 needs a special driver.

Any insights into how MIDI is configured on linux/PD appreciated.

Thanks

-Jack

Tyler Leavitt Tyler Leavitt

Re: [puredyne] Recognizing MIDI keyboard

Hello,

I think all the other distros should be working for you if they are recent versions. What programs are you using? Are you using JACK? Have you compared the output of "lsusb" in each distro? This could be completely wrong, but I don't think pure:dyne has any special configs for USB-MIDI...

Apparently somebody had the same problem --   https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/midisport-firmware/+bug/88923 -- maybe this would help you in Ubuntu and it's derivatives,
Tyler

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:47 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

The main reason I've stuck with Puredyne is because it recognized my
M-Audio Oxygen-8 keyboard straight away, whereas no other distribution
I've tried so far has been able to do that - including Studio64 and Ubuntu
Studio.
I was just wondering which configuration files I need to look at in order
to understand how Puredyne does this - as far as I've googled it doesn't
look like the Oxygen 8 needs a special driver.

Any insights into how MIDI is configured on linux/PD appreciated.

Thanks

-Jack

JL@PD JL@PD

Re: [puredyne] Recognizing MIDI keyboard

    My apologies, I should have been more specific. I'm trying
    to work out why the M-Audio Oxygen 8 Keystation (Version 1) doesn't
    always show up as a registered alsa device, available as MIDI
    input on the major distros I've tried, that is
    Fedora 14, Ubuntu 10.04, and 64 Studio.
    On these distros when I plug in the Keystation and
    run

    aconnect -i

    most of the time the output doesn't show the Keystation is available for
    MIDI input. Occasionally it will show up in Fedora and 64 studio.
    However in Puredyne it always shows up without fail.
    I want to know how Puredyne is configured to do this - mainly so
    I can learn about configuring reliable audio and MIDI setups in linux.

    I did compare the lsusb output and the Keystation always registers
    but under different names for each distro.
    The interesting thing is that it registers as ID  "0763:1015" in Puredyne
    consistently, but shows up mostly as "0763:1014" in the other distros -
   and these are the times it doesn't register as a midi device. If it shows
   up as "0763:1015" it does register as a MIDI device.

   Again, any help appreciated.

  -Jack

On Tue Aug 2 12:46 , Tyler Leavitt sent:

On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 8:47 PM, <a href="javascript:top.opencompose('jacklang@froggy.com.au','','','')">jacklang@... <<a href="javascript:top.opencompose('jacklang@froggy.com.au','','','')">jacklang@...> wrote:
Hi,

The main reason I've stuck with Puredyne is because it recognized my
M-Audio Oxygen-8 keyboard straight away, whereas no other distribution
I've tried so far has been able to do that - including Studio64 and Ubuntu
Studio.
I was just wondering which configuration files I need to look at in order
to understand how Puredyne does this - as far as I've googled it doesn't
look like the Oxygen 8 needs a special driver.

Any insights into how MIDI is configured on linux/PD appreciated.

Thanks

-Jack

---

JL@PD JL@PD

Re: [puredyne] Recognizing MIDI keyboard

Sorry,

I did look at that initially, but wondered what it had
to do with the Keystation, I was looking for "M-audio".
Didn't realise it came under Midiman.

So it looks like it's all in /lib/udev/rules.d/midisport-firmware.rules,
which calls fxload which loads /usr/share/usb/maudio/MidiSportKS.ihx.

This doesn't explain why it sometimes works in Fedora or 64Studio, which
don't appear to have these files, or why it shows up as ID 0763:1015 in Puredyne
when the rules.d file specifies it as 0763:1014.

I'll do some experimenting with a fresh LFS install and report back.

Thanks for the pointers

-Jack

On Wed Aug 3 23:44 , Tyler Leavitt sent:

Did yiu check out that link I sent?

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/midisport-firmware/+bug/88923