[puredyne] Question about persistent storage with the live version

EdgarB EdgarB

[puredyne] Question about persistent storage with the live version

Hi - I'd like to run the live version from my hard drive and be able to
save any settings or additional installs to a persistent storage file.
I've done a successful frugal install (copied the directories to my hard
drive and set up Grub to boot into it), but can't figure out how to
establish storage that will remain between sessions.  It's a good way to
have Puredyne co-exist in the same partition with another distribution
while I play with it. I use the persistent storage option for Puppy,
which I run from a USB stick when I need to fix things, and it's really
handy.

If someone can help me do this, I will document it in the Manual, which
has the topic but no text.

Thanks! - Edgar

Antonios Galanopoulos Antonios Galanopoulos

Re: [puredyne] Question about persistent storage with the live version

Hi edgar,

You need a linux (ext3 is a good choice) partition with a label
'live-rw'. This partition can be on an internal harddrive or more
commonly on a usb stick. Any changes you do on the system will be
saved there using the unionfs filysystem

Something like this. I hope it helps.

Edgar said :

> Hi - I'd like to run the live version from my hard drive and be able to
> save any settings or additional installs to a persistent storage file.
> I've done a successful frugal install (copied the directories to my hard
> drive and set up Grub to boot into it), but can't figure out how to
> establish storage that will remain between sessions.  It's a good way to
> have Puredyne co-exist in the same partition with another distribution
> while I play with it. I use the persistent storage option for Puppy,
> which I run from a USB stick when I need to fix things, and it's really
> handy.
>
> If someone can help me do this, I will document it in the Manual, which
> has the topic but no text.
>
> Thanks! - Edgar

|'`'.           .''.            ..
|                        `..'

http://agagag.goto10.org

EdgarB EdgarB

Re: [puredyne] Question about persistent storage with the live version

Hi A -

Yes, that was all I needed.  I updated the wiki to explain it.

Thanks,
Edgar