[puredyne] Puredyne and Open Source Dance

Manjunan Gnanaratnam Manjunan Gnanaratnam

[puredyne] Puredyne and Open Source Dance

Dear Puredyne Community.

I had a brief dialog with Aymeric and he suggested that I pose my request to
the Puredyne community at large to see if there is anyone who would be
interested in assisting me.

First, a brief introduction. I work in Contemporary Dance [Modern/Post
Modern] and began a program, Open Source Dance [OSD] a couple of years ago
which is picking up some interest globally. In my search for "tools" for
OSD, specifically Open Source tools, I came across Puredyne and have spent
over a year testing it and have decided to use Puredyne as the official
software product for OSD [http://www.opensourcedance.org/]   Puredyne is a
fantastic product and I have to say thank you to all those who worked on
developing it.

The request: I am not a programmer or a developer and hence this request. I
am looking to package a group of applications [some found in Puredyne] as
one specific application specific to dance and it needs to have the
following tools in it.

1. Audio [Sound design/ editing etc for dance. All audio apps in Puredyne
are currently being tested by the OSD group [dancers] to select a final few-
i.e Hydrogen, Audacity etc etc]

2. Video [for editing, documentation of dance etc etc. all video/graphics
apps being tested by OSD group to select a final few]

3. Notation [For notation of choreography- there are no dance notation apps
in Purdyne. I have looked at a few apps out there and like Labanwriter,
developed by the Dance dept. Ohio State University- below an excerpt from my
dialog with David Ralley, developer at OSU dance-

"Can the latest version [OSX] of LabanWriter be ported to run on a
Unix/lLinux shell?

It would be possible to port the routines that import, export and
manipulate data to Unix without too much difficulty, but the drawing
framework is not portable, and since much of the program is a visual
editor, I think that would be a considerable amount of work.

The file format is text, however, and available on the LabanWriter
website, so you're free to create a reader and editor for Unix if
you'd like."

I havent talked to David about his specific interest in porting Labanwriter
to Puredyne as of yet- help here needed

4. Real Time Collaborative Tools [audio/video/texting/communication - real
time collaborative tools-Need help here]

5- GUI - With the addition of "Dance" in the Puredyne start menu, the
interface for the real time collaborative tools could be similar to jack,
where audio/video/text/communication tabs would open those specific tools as
needed by the user.- Need help here]

My attempt to design this above tool is motivated by the need of such a
resource in the dance world and primarily in my program OSD and Puredyne can
provide it. This tool can also be included in future releases of Puredyne
resulting in  exposure and usage of Puredyne  in the Contemporary Dance
world globally.

Aymeric, while suggesting that I pose this to the group at large to see if
there would be any interest for help,  also appraised me that all of you are
at different levels of commitment, resources and are limited by time,
interest, financial resources etc etc. and I am greatly mindful of that.

You advice, input, insights and offer of help on my request would be greatly
appreciated.

Again, thank you for all your work  on Puredyne.

Best regards

Manju.

Manjunan Gnanaratnam
[http://www.manjunan.com]
[http://www.opensourcedance.org]

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is
Music."-Aldous Huxley

nescivi nescivi

Re: [puredyne] Puredyne and Open Source Dance

Hiho,

interesting topic!

I've been doing two projects with dance, the last one I ran completely from a
Linux machine, using "motiontrackosc" for tracking the positions of the
dancers on stage, and then SuperCollider for most other things.

I think that MotionTrackOSC (available from my website at
http://www.nescivi.nl) could be a useful tool for a Pure-Dyne-Dance version,
along with some helper programs like dv4l, which allows to use dv-cameras as
Video4Linux devices.. necessary for the video input for MotionTrackOSC.

Another interesting piece of software would be Animata, for real-time
animations, which isn't in Pure:Dyne yet, I believe, but would be a really
good candidate in general.

On Sunday 27 June 2010 12:28:31 Manjunan Gnanaratnam wrote:
> 4. Real Time Collaborative Tools [audio/video/texting/communication - real
> time collaborative tools-Need help here]

Check out our project SenseStage at http://sensestage.hexagram.ca.
The website is going to get a major update in the next week, so please check
back a bit later too.

But basically, we have been developing tools for data-communication between
various realtime interactive softwares that are used for sound, light, and
video, in any kind of interactive context.
The other half is that we developed a wireless sensing platform, with again,
one of the main applications in dance.

I'd be interested to know more about the Open Source Dance project.. it seems
to me it could be interesting to open it up with opportunities for people from
sound, video, etc, to work with the dancers to develop collaborative works...

sincerely,
Marije

PS, your website with its Flash-only version could still improve in a open
source context :)

2010/6/27 nescivi <[hidden email]>:

> Hiho,
>
> interesting topic!
>
> I've been doing two projects with dance, the last one I ran completely from a
> Linux machine, using "motiontrackosc" for tracking the positions of the
> dancers on stage, and then SuperCollider for most other things.
>
> I think that MotionTrackOSC (available from my website at
> http://www.nescivi.nl) could be a useful tool for a Pure-Dyne-Dance version,
> along with some helper programs like dv4l, which allows to use dv-cameras as
> Video4Linux devices.. necessary for the video input for MotionTrackOSC.
>
> Another interesting piece of software would be Animata, for real-time
> animations, which isn't in Pure:Dyne yet, I believe, but would be a really
> good candidate in general.

Cool, are there debs for these software? If they're easy to put in the
main pd distro then maybe we should (I think we still have room on the
dvd edition), and if it takes a little bit of packaging effort then
maybe we should do it anyway :)

Dan

> On Sunday 27 June 2010 12:28:31 Manjunan Gnanaratnam wrote:
>> 4. Real Time Collaborative Tools [audio/video/texting/communication - real
>> time collaborative tools-Need help here]
>
> Check out our project SenseStage at http://sensestage.hexagram.ca.
> The website is going to get a major update in the next week, so please check
> back a bit later too.
>
> But basically, we have been developing tools for data-communication between
> various realtime interactive softwares that are used for sound, light, and
> video, in any kind of interactive context.
> The other half is that we developed a wireless sensing platform, with again,
> one of the main applications in dance.
>
> I'd be interested to know more about the Open Source Dance project.. it seems
> to me it could be interesting to open it up with opportunities for people from
> sound, video, etc, to work with the dancers to develop collaborative works...
>

> sincerely,
> Marije
>
> PS, your website with its Flash-only version could still improve in a open
> source context :)

Manjunan Gnanaratnam Manjunan Gnanaratnam

Re: [puredyne] Puredyne and Open Source Dance

Re: [puredyne] Puredyne and Open Source Dance Hello Marije.

Sorry that it took me some time to respond. Thank you for the ideas/suggestions.

> I think that MotionTrackOSC (available from my website at
> http://www.nescivi.nl) could be a useful tool for a Pure-Dyne-Dance version,
> along with some helper programs like dv4l, which allows to use dv-cameras as
> Video4Linux devices.. necessary for the video input for MotionTrackOSC.

This is good. Definitely of use for OSD.  Is the user interface primarily OSC or Supercollider?

> Another interesting piece of software would be Animata, for real-time
> animations, which isn't in Pure:Dyne yet, I believe, but would be a really
> good candidate in general.

Good option for use for “Choreographic” purposes by participants

Check out our project SenseStage at http://sensestage.hexagram.ca.
> The website is going to get a major update in the next week, so please check
> back a bit later too.
>
> But basically, we have been developing tools for data-communication between
> various realtime interactive softwares that are used for sound, light, and
> video, in any kind of interactive context.
> The other half is that we developed a wireless sensing platform, with again,
> one of the main applications in dance.

Thanks for this, will look at it in depth for real-time communication tool.

> I'd be interested to know more about the Open Source Dance project.. it seems
> to me it could be interesting to open it up with opportunities for people from
> sound, video, etc, to work with the dancers to develop collaborative works...

A short blurb- Developments in Dance vary from location to location, and unlike other media arts, there is yet to be a unified global or subcultures in dance. I wont get into details regarding reasons here. however,  the  21st century dancer increasingly finds this situation rather limiting and with the very nature of dance being a “multidisciplinary” artform and with a strong history of developments in it in the past, including the “body” having served as a tool/trigger/platform for experiments in other media arts, new dance generations are looking for tools, besides the kinesthetic body, to further extend their own capabilities. So the “Dance” aspect in Puredyne will be a collection of “tools for Dancers” [ hence the selection of “user friendly” gui based apps as opposed to coding etc etc] who now will have access to  set of tools that they have never had in the past and  Puredyne can provide that.

In regards to opening up opportunities in OSD for those in other media arts, the collaboration choices will be at the discretion of the participants [dancers] in OSD. However, with Puredyne serving as the “Operating System”  in dance, the dance world  will be drawn into the Puredyne world, and in turn, I can see numerous opportunities/relationships arising out of that shared global environment.

Thank you again Marije for the suggestions. Greatly appreciate the help.

Best

Manju.

Manjunan Gnanaratnam
[http://www.manjunan.com]